Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

The “Snake River Farms” of seafood?

The Cen-Tex Smoker
The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
edited March 2019 in Seafood
I’ve recently acquired much more of a taste for seafood.  Not sure what flipped the switch (maybe my atrocious cholesterol test last year) but for the first time in my life, I’m eating way more seafood than beef. In my quest to eat quality food that is as sustainable as possible, I went looking for the best options. In Austin, if you want really good seafood, it’s all around $20-$30lb and that store is 30 minutes away in a very busy part of town that I don’t visit super often. Since I only buy fresh seafood Within a day of when I’m going to eat it, it’s not super convenient to drive for an hour for a piece of fish. 

I remembered that when we owned the grocery store/restaurant we used to ship in fish from Alaska and Hawaii every Thursday for the weekend crowds. These were whole fish that we would break down and put in the case to sell. I looked up the place in Alaska and sure enough, they had started a consumer subscription box program with the same fish we used to buy but in consumer sized frozen portions. This is awesome quality fish and it’s roughly the same price as what I can get local. Not to mention it’s delivered to my door and I can have it on hand whenever I want it. 

Anyhow, I’m not a big subscription guy and the boxes have roughly 5 lbs of fish (or more if you want).  That’s plenty to cover me for a while. I told them I didn’t want a subscription but wanted to try the fish again. They were super cool and entered my order and paused my subscription right after. You can easily opt in and out every month with a quick email. They send you what’s available, if you aren’t ready, you pass for that month. Or in my case, if I am ready I can un-pause my subscription for that order and pause again until I’m ready. 

Got it today and cant wait to try it. 4.6lb of sockeye, coho, halibut, and cod (I chose the mix)  I’ll load up when the Copper River Salmon and Kings start to run. 

First Cook is this Friday. Ill let y’all know how it is. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    was just bitchen that cod and haddock is 9.99 a pound right now =) it will drop to 5.99 in a few months, 3 places near the camp selling out of the house. just put haddock on the list, third week in a row.  juice an orange, lemon, and a lime, simmer it down by half, cool down on counter and add a little olive oil,  really good on white fish
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Fortunately for me my hosed up unscientific Q fueled protein diet keeps the med numbers well in check.  I do enjoy fresh seafood but if you think Austin is a ways from sea water...
    I was just thinking about a sea food run later this week and my palate is unrefined enough to do well with local "fresh" purchasing.  However, I will check out your source just because. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Not to rub it in, but I consider myself lucky in a geographical sense I can just drive 5 minutes to the Hong Kong Market, RD or the Westwego fish market by the docks and buy fresh seafood, just about everything is under $10/lb (but you have to buy the whole fish, so that jacks up the price for the edible portions).

Or grab my boat and spend 4 hours, $12 in gas and $20 in beer and booze and catch reds and specs, and maybe flounder, mackerel.....and if I'm unlucky, a ton of catfish.
    yeah- we are a little land-locked here and even HEB has mostly farm raised crap (especially this time of year which is normal). Any of the really good sustainable wild stuff is expensive.
  • Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • I think I saw a link for $25 off coupons to share with newbies somewhere in my email. Full disclosure, I think I get some kind of coupon as well if you use one I send you (not why I posted this but $25 off is a good deal for all of us). Let me see if I can find it.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    The "toro" (underbelly) of a grade 1 bluefin is arguably the Kobe ribeye of the fish world.

...and if you have SGH's money, you can buy some here:

$170lb!
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    SGH said:
    If he has poor ole SGH’s money, this is the only seafood that he will be buying. 

The above is called a seafood platter for a man with my money. 
    "Seafood Trio"
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Thanks for sharing!  We ate readily available fresh seafood up in WA often, now in TX, not so often.  Central Market is a few minutes a way, but the prices are generally higher than I was used to.  I will definitely look into this...
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • Interested to see how this turns out taste wise - I've driven into Quality Seafood a few times for fresh stuff but that's about all I've found in the Austin area
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • @smbishop central market is the store I was talking abut as well. I found this to be a little cheaper but I did get $25 off the box for my first time order. I would say the prices are similar to a little less from Wild Alaska

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310

Yes! Thanks for sharing. I have tried Sea to Table and wasn't real impressed. Anxious to give this a try

~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429
    edited March 2019

Glad to see they ship in cardboard, not a thick styrofoam "cooler" bound for the double-Texas raft in the middle of the Pacific. I am uncomfortable with the "suspend your subscription" model, however; I have trouble paying my damn cable bill on time.

And, I'm suddenly interested whether we can post a EweTube video now just by pasting the link; here goes:

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,429

^^^Oh, THAT's weird! If I just hit "Command-V" to paste the link, the link was posted. I went back in to edit it, and as soon as I hit "Return" behind the link, the video preview appeared! Neat, sorta...

"I mean, I don't just kill guys, I'm notorious for doing in houseplants."  - Maggie, Northern Exposure

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665

now i want some bluefin tuna, maybe just the poor mans loin cut. @sgh , atleast look for another nickel on the floor of the truck and get that tuna packed in oil

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602

Looks just about perfect. Love me some baby bok chit.

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

Looks like a winner to me brother Tex👍

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791

If there really is a “SRF’s” of seafood, I hope I never find it or I will go broke. I do a good enough job of blowing money as is.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136

Freeze damage?

black plates are sexy as hell

Thought we were talking my favorite music here:

You ate my fractal...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053

Nice plate photo!! Thanks for the follow-up post.

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727

Yowza! That looks tasty. Inspires me to up my salmon game.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • CPARKTX
    CPARKTX Posts: 2,095

great looking food! Be interested to hear opinion after you try a few more from the order.

LBGE & SBGE.  Central Texas.  
  • All farm raised these days. only Cedntral market has wild caught this time of year in my hood. $29.99lb.

Good advice on the thawed **** in the case. I'll see what they have next time im in.

• and I love the credentials. I see you have added some since we last spoke.

• I couldnt get past the mushy texture and emailed them the pics. they were mortified and credited back those pieces. I'm going to make more tonight to see it it's like that with all of it (so far we are 3-for-3 on mushy filets). She said they would credit it all back if tonights are the same- don't see why they wouldn't be but I'm willing to give them a shot. if they are the same, I would rate these a do not buy. Will keep you posted.