Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Another first and last (APL Serious BBQ Recipe)

2»

Comments

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    I used a blender and a sieve then eventually a medium pasta strainer. My sieve was too fine.
    Mountain View, CA
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Well, of course I have made this one, used skirt steak...

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1214198/fajita-style-marinated-skirt-steak

I thought it tasted great, but what do I know!  :)
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    dmourati said:
    I just finished the prep for my second attempt at his bowl o' red chili. It was a super PITA. In particular, seeding/stemming 1lb of peppers and then straining the resulting paste to get rid of any chunks of skin took almost 2 hours. We'll see if it is worth it tomorrow.
    I tried this one once, complete failure, not sure I will try again.  Please share how it comes out!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    For marinades, the blender is your friend.  
    they should give awards to the people who test the cookbook recipes and make sure they work.
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    edited March 2019
    smbishop said:
    dmourati said:
    I just finished the prep for my second attempt at his bowl o' red chili. It was a super PITA. In particular, seeding/stemming 1lb of peppers and then straining the resulting paste to get rid of any chunks of skin took almost 2 hours. We'll see if it is worth it tomorrow.
    I tried this one once, complete failure, not sure I will try again.  Please share how it comes out!
    Definitely better on my second attempt. I really liked it tonight.

Two things I did differently:

1. I trimmed the chuck roast more aggressively.
    2. I strained the paste (forgot to do it the first time, ruined the dish)

The only thing I would change if I did it again is take out the last dose (2 tbsp) of brown sugar. Didn't need it and it made it taste sweet.
    Mountain View, CA
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    edited March 2019
    caliking said:
    You're one ahead of me . I've had that  book for about as long, and still can't bring myself to cook something out of it . Nobody got time for all day!!
    Between you and @CT talking about “no time for all those steps,” I wonder what you two see when you shave in the mornings.  We KNOW you too well to believe that crap

(Exhibit 1 is @CTs pastrami recipe, which is awesome, BTW)
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    20stone said:
    caliking said:
    You're one ahead of me . I've had that  book for about as long, and still can't bring myself to cook something out of it . Nobody got time for all day!!
    Between you and @CT talking about “no time for all those steps,” I wonder what you two see when you shave in the mornings.  We KNOW you too well to believe that crap

It’s totally different when the 26 steps in the cook are MY idea :smiley:

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    20stone said:
    caliking said:

It’s totally different when the 26 steps in the cook are MY idea :smiley:
    what he said
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • do yourself a favor, use this instead. It tastes way better, it's $3, and it takes 10 seconds to dump in a bag.

I made way better fajitas tonight in 30 minutes (i did marinate for 2 hours- open bottle, pour in bag) and they didn't have that nasty brown ring around them. No pix but they looked just as good and tasted better.

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    do yourself a favor, use this instead. It tastes way better, it's $3, and it takes 10 seconds to dump in a bag.

I made way better fajitas tonight in 30 minutes (i did marinate for 2 hours- open bottle, pour in bag) and they didn't have that nasty brown ring around them. No pix but they looked just as good and tasted better.

That’s pretty damn good on a tritip too