Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Grocery Budget OT

Options
13»

Comments

• fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,759
    Options
    in the pantry i have a half bag of walnut pieces, a half container dried cranberries, and a small can of water chestnuts that i got decades ago. theres just enough room in the fridge for a twelve pack of beer, the rest is condiments =) theres also a puffed up quart of milk, i aint touching that

well you posted yours, ill post mine next week.  somehow my freezer pic will freak most out here ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,349
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    in the pantry i have a half bag of walnut pieces, a half container dried cranberries, and a small can of water chestnuts that i got decades ago. theres just enough room in the fridge for a twelve pack of beer, the rest is condiments =) theres also a puffed up quart of milk, i aint touching that
    I think I'm kinda understanding your high blood pressure problems.
    my food is packed in a cooler right now for the weekend.  haddock, chicken tenderloins, oranges, lemons, limes, blueberries, black berries, dried crannberries, walnuts, greek yogurt, garlic, mint, thyme, tomatoes, cucumbers keifer milk.  the fish will be saturday with rice and asparagus, the chicken will be a shwarma kabobs on pitas with tzatziki sauce on sunday, the keifer will be breakfast with the fruit and nuts.  on the no-no list for the meds i should not be eating the lemons, limes, oranges, tomatoes, not sure about the asparagus. doctor said to stay away from high potassium foods, completely backwards from what ive done most of my life. with the booze, he said, dont fall down =)

i always buy fresh that day or for the weekend,  theres dozens of suprmarkets and half as many butcher shops within 5 to 10 minutes from the house.
    All that sounds nutritious and delicious! Unlike the puffed up milk (unless you were trying to make some kefir).

I'm guessing one of your meds is one of those potassium sparing types that sort of lets it buildup in your body. I'm on one of those and also one that "loses" potassium so I hope they just balance each other out. :) I have blood tests done every few months to keep an eye on that stuff.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    I'm amazed at how organized peeps are...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,429
    Options
    My son is starting private school this fall. With the additional thousands being removed from our bank account, we had to budget. Family of 4, 2 little ones (4 & 2). I’ll say $1000 in groceries, $300 between wipes, diapers and non food essentials. $200 in alcohol easy. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    My son is starting private school this fall. With the additional thousands being removed from our bank account, we had to budget. Family of 4, 2 little ones (4 & 2). I’ll say $1000 in groceries, $300 between wipes, diapers and non food essentials. $200 in alcohol easy. 
    Man I hear you there......the last of my four gets out of preschool and goes into kindergarten next year.  We only pay for the first 3 in K-8, so in the last two years our tuition bill will have dropped from $19K/year to $9K/yr.  We get 4 yrs of that "deal" until private high school starts for the biggest one.....yikes.  Oh and it's another $200+/month for the little vultures to each school lunches there.  Not much cheaper to try to make them sack lunches either.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
     After seeing a bunch of posts on here with fancy groceries and shopping carts filled with bourbon I was curious if any of you track your monthly grocery bills or cared to share.  

Brother assasin, most folks on here can’t even conceive what a budget is. They have money to burn and throw around like it grows on trees. Just look at some of the stuff that they post. To them, a budget is spending a quarter of a million on an automobile instead of a million. They may have problems, but money certainly isn’t one of them. 
    There is folks on here who spend more on alcohol a month than I spend on my house note. For folks like that, “budget” is not even in their vocabulary. 
    With that said, there are certainly a few of us who can relate. I wear clothing that is factory “seconds”. I drive a Ford, not a Lamborghini. I live in a house, not a mansion or Penthouse. Basically my whole life has been one big budget unfortunately. But I keep trying my friend. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    DoubleEgger said:
    We never have more than a couple days worth of food on hand. 
    Same here.  If/when the Wasatch 600-year overdue earthquake hits, or the city-labelled "spring water" finally sends my street down the canyon, I'll be living on 137 different varieties of dried pasta, seasoned with, as @dmchicago mentioned, even more types of condiments.  Yum-yum.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    If my last dollar runs out with my last breath, I was perfectly efficient
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,656
    Options
    Brother Scottie, I always appreciate your candor, you are truly a outstanding person.  I order factory seconds carhartt and have never been able to find a flaw.
     Your financial responsibility has allowed you to pay cash for things like the money wagon, yeti coolers, muhles, and a arsenal of .22s for your grand daughter, this sir should make you very proud, I know you work very hard for you money.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,485
    Options
    SGH said:
    With that said, there are certainly a few of us who can relate. I wear clothing that is factory “seconds”. I drive a Ford, not a Lamborghini. I live in a house, not a mansion or Penthouse. Basically my whole life has been one big budget unfortunately. But I keep trying my friend. 
    ...sez the guy who has a separate sleep, work, yoga, casual, sex, formal, and dinner pair of overalls for every day of the year; along with his Ford that covers three ZIP codes, a fleet of more John Deere's than I have socks; and spends 90% of his time on a luxury oil platform eating grilled oysters and Lobster Thermador's, courtesy Big Oil.  :tongue:    

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,656
    Options

There is enough turkey in the shop freezer for 3 Thanksgivings  =)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.