Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Fresh 19# ham

Options
Need ideas on how to smoke a 19# fresh ham this weekend?
It's the cow that drives the meat!!

XL Egg, Mini Max, Mini,  17" Blackstone 
Wi

Comments

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Egret's ham or just smoke it.  Nothing added.  Someone on here refers to that a nekkid ham.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I think this is the recipe so may rave about..

=======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    havent seen a fresh (uncured) ham posted in a decade or more. its either roasted, or can be slow cooked into a pull and i believe it needs to be wrapped at the end til pullable. ive never done nor even seen one.  if its a cured ham, lots of recipes here, hard to go wrong, its a reheat so do NOT go over 140 internal or it starts to dry quickly
    @sgh and a few others probably cook the fresh hams
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Wouldn't an uncured ham be a picnic?  It doesn't really become "ham" until it's cured right?
    NOLA
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,740
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    Wouldn't an uncured ham be a picnic?  It doesn't really become "ham" until it's cured right?
    picnic is front leg, ham is rear. bothe can be fresh or cured. i buy picnics either way, fresh ham here is special order
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    picnic is front leg, ham is rear. bothe can be fresh or cured. i buy picnics either way, fresh ham here is special order
    Ah, OK, helpful.  Thanks.

NOLA
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited March 2019
    Options
    I have a bookmarked recipe for cooking a fresh ham, but I've never done it. Pic looks mighty tasty though!

https://www.finecooking.com/recipe/fresh-ham-with-rosemary-garlic-and-lemon

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    I've home-cured mine, which made it a longer-term project than a weekend cook.  Definitely the best ham I've ever had, and highly recommend doing it the "long way."

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1201295/26-fresh-ham#latest
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Options
    I did one in 2009. Don't have my notes, but I do recall I took the internal to about 160F, so my MIL, afraid of pink pork, wouldn't freak. Probably used Dizzy Dust w. some extra brown sugar, and scored the fat layer.

Cooked hot enough to get the heat down to the inside, which evidently was hot enough to strongly brown the sugar in the rub.

My recollection was that sliced thin it was fairly moist and tender, and the exterior smoke was minimal. Prob'ly didn't use much in the way of smoke wood.