Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

26# Fresh Ham

Options
Did this last year for a family holiday brunch and it got rave reviews. Now it's a tradition.

Skinned, trimmed down to about 22# and it's now a bucket o' ham in brine for 11-ish days. Pix prolly out of order, but you'll get the idea. 

It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Whoooo hoooooo!  Out of the brine, into the fridge.  T-minus 3 days to egg!

Will go on after midnight, early Sunday morning, when we get home from a holiday party.  Adds a degree of difficulty factor and some danger of not sticking the landing.  Danger is my middle name!  (But wish me luck anyway!)

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    i find they benefit from leaving a little fat on them after taking the skin off, but some come with much thicker fat than others. 

how are you planning on cooking it?

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    i find they benefit from leaving a little fat on them after taking the skin off, but some come with much thicker fat than others. 

how are you planning on cooking it?

Did one last year about the same way and it was delish -- went aggressive on the fat cap before and figured I'd do it again rather than reinvent the squeal.

Gonna smoke it with hickory and pecan at 225 til IT of 150 or so.  Will glaze and add pineapple for last hour or 2.  It'll go on late-late-late Saturday night/Sunday morning -- also same as last year, but hoping to be maybe not so overserved at the party we're going to prior to the cook.  

Will post updates just cuz.
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    What's in the brine?
    NOLA
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    What's in the brine?
    Kosher salt, dark brown sugar, curing salt, peppercorns, ginger, apple cider, juicing oranges, some other stuff that was in reach . . . water and ice to ensure it was sufficiently cooled down after heating to dissolve the granular ingredients.  Took it out last night after 12 days in the soup; worries about residue at the bottom of the bucket turned out to be unfounded.  Sucker was heavy to move, tho!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • saluki2007
    saluki2007 Posts: 6,354
    Options
    Looks like a great start.  Will be standing by.
    Large and Small BGE
    Central, IL

• PoppasGrill
    Options
    Is there a reason to soak it so long, or just a preference?
  • JustineCaseyFeldown
    Options
    he cured it.  was an uncured leg roast, now a traditional 'city ham' or 'ham'.

(confusion arises sometimes because the uncured leg is also properly referred to as 'the ham', a cut of meat, even when it is uncured/fresh)
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Is there a reason to soak it so long, or just a preference?
    It's a cure, with pink salt (nitrite) -- without it, you end up with roast pork, not ham.  Guidelines for brining time vary, but at least 7 days seems to be standard.  For a 26 pound beast, I wanted to go about 1/2 day per pound.  

Amazing Ribs is a good resource if you're thinking of taking this on:

http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/curing_ham.html
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    What's in the brine?
    Kosher salt, dark brown sugar, curing salt, peppercorns, ginger, apple cider, juicing oranges, some other stuff that was in reach . . . water and ice to ensure it was sufficiently cooled down after heating to dissolve the granular ingredients.  Took it out last night after 12 days in the soup; worries about residue at the bottom of the bucket turned out to be unfounded.  Sucker was heavy to move, tho!
    Cool, thanks!
    NOLA
  • gmac
    gmac Posts: 1,814
    Options
    Beauty man. Looks awesome. 
    Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Looking good bud!!!  I opted on not curing fresh this year and went with a spiral cut precooked ham.  It's hard to beat a homecured one since you get to control the flavor profile start to finish.  But, it's a labor of love.  I may do some around Easter or Christmas next year.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    Wow.  Looks great.   I love smoking hams but have never been brave enough to take on one that is not pre cured.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Turned out great. Next time I'm definitely going to inject -- some of the deep interior didn't quite "ham". But the majority was great. @NPHuskerFL you're my inspiration on this cook!  

Didn't get a pic til most of the pile was consumed. But here's a late shot -- you'll get the idea. 

It's a 302 thing . . .
  • JacksDad
    JacksDad Posts: 538
    Options

This is truly a beautiful thing... Thanks for posting the whole process! 

Where did you buy the ham? Was it a special order item from the butcher? 

Large BGE -- New Jersey

• HendersonTRKing
    Options
    JacksDad said:

This is truly a beautiful thing... Thanks for posting the whole process! 

Where did you buy the ham? Was it a special order item from the butcher? 

Thx so much. It's a real crowd pleaser, but you gotta plan ahead. Like 3 weeks. Plus a couple days (at least here) to order from the butcher.  "Natural ham -- uncured" was what the butcher called it. Tried to get a 20 pounder but 26 is what came through. It wasn't terribly expensive, either. 
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Looks awesome. I had looked around for a recipe for what we call a green ham. Perfect. Thanks