Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

First ribs on egg this weekend

Options
What kind should I get from the butcher?

All kinda of diff recipes...what’s the tried and true best?

Comments

• bikesAndBBQ
    Options
    I prefer baby backs. My favorite method is to hit them with a healthy amount of rub, throw on the egg at 300ish and pull when they are at the desired doneness. I determine doneness with a combination of the toothpick, bend test and IT of 200ish. Ribs can be tricky to get an IT. Toothpick and bend test are what I go by the most. 
    Pittsburgh, PA. LBGE
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    We prefer spares trimmed to a St Louis cut most of the time.  In the past I have played around with the 3-2-1 method,  but it was more like 3-1/2 - 1-1/2- 1/2 as I thought the foiled portion was overcooking the ribs.  Now a days I just smoke them, unfoiled, like bikesAndBBQ, until tender which is usually around 6 hours at 230-235 degrees. 
    The wife loves beef ribs and grabs those anytime she sees them at the grocery store down here.  They are not the giant dino ribs, as we don't see those down here, but they are tasty with just a salt/pepper/garlic rub.
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Good advice above. The baby backs are leaner and easier to cook as described above and the stl cut or spares have more interdispersed fat to be rendered thus lending themselves to the wrapping method described in the other post. First time is easy with baby backs bones down @ 250-275 for 4 hours. When the toothpick pokes like butter they done. If you want sauce then apply them at the end for a few minutes just to warm up the sauce. Now, here is the hard part.  Wait ten minutes or so before cutting and serving. They will rest and the sauce will tack up nicely. Enjoy!
  • drumdudeguy
    Options
    I've tried them many different ways but the best ones I ever made were last weekend using the Car Wash Mike method. Be sure to use Baby Backs with this recipe. http://playingwithfireandsmoke.blogspot.com/2002/06/baby-back-rib-class.html

Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I have been able to achieve consistent results using my own version of the Amazing Ribs "Last Meal Ribs Recipe". Instead of using the Memphis Rub recipe, I just apply my favorite rub, lately I like the Oakridge BBQ Dominator Sweet Rib Rub, rub ribs a few hours prior. Get the egg up to 225 grate temp. I also place the wood chunks underneath the lump. Less fluctuation in temp and more consistent smoke. (thanks Harry Soo)
    My preferred rib is Compac Duroc Baby Back. They are not processed and have better flavor.
    After 4 hours at 225 grate I start probing with a toothpick for tenderness.
    If not tender I let them cook for another 30 minutes.
    Once they past the toothpick test I pull them and sauce lightly with Blues Hog Original.
    I remove the plate setter and sear the ribs direct for a minute per side to caramelize the sauce.
    Baby Backs have always been a challenge for me but since I have used this method I have been getting spot on results. The same method can be used for Spares as well just add more time to cook.
    No wrapping, no spritzing required.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Don't worry about trying to find the best approach the first time, because so much depends on personal taste.

I recommend keeping things as simple as possible your first time around.  This will establish a baseline for you that you can always go back to.

I'd also recommend baby backs for the first time because they'll cook more quickly.  

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,166
    Options
    I love a poke rib......but give me a big ol fat beef rib any day. They are all good. enjoy the journey.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DrWhiskey694
    Options
    Wow thanks guys!
  • drumdudeguy
    Options
    I love a poke rib......but give me a big ol fat beef rib any day. They are all good. enjoy the journey.
    I agree! I wish I could find good Beef Rib but these days they are trimmed so close there's no meat left after cooking!
    Charlotte NC - Large Big Green Egg (2009) w/Nest and Handler
    Accessories: PSWoo, Woo, Adjustable Rig, Smokeware Cap and Temperature Gauge
  • CigarCityEgger
    CigarCityEgger Posts: 2,109
    Options
    I’ve played around with foiling, spritzing, but at the end of the day just letting the ribs ride out with a nice rub and saucing just before finish has been my bread and butter. Play around with different techniques and see which you like best, I prefer spares but won’t turn down a baby back. I actually have a few beef ribs planned for tomorrow. Enjoy the cook, I’m sure they’ll turn out great. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Car Wash Mike’s method is where I started with baby backs on the egg and tweaked it a bit over the years, but having just tried them using the turbo method it’ll be hard to go back to low and slow.   

• littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    Options
    I’ve played around with foiling, spritzing, but at the end of the day just letting the ribs ride out with a nice rub and saucing just before finish has been my bread and butter. Play around with different techniques and see which you like best, I prefer spares but won’t turn down a baby back. I actually have a few beef ribs planned for tomorrow. Enjoy the cook, I’m sure they’ll turn out great. 
    I made some spareribs Wednesday with my usual 3-2-1 method.  I’m going to try them like you mentioned (6 hours with no foil) and let the rib expert (wife) judge the next time.  The foil wrapping is a pain.
  • Dyal_SC
    Dyal_SC Posts: 6,072
    Options
    Ribs are forgiving. Agree with what @JohnInCarolina stated above.  Not much you can do to screw them up, unless you burn them or undercook them. Usually just go indirect with no foil these days til the bones have some pullback and they pass the bend test. And guests seem
    happiest when I serve the sauce on the side. 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Throw on some baby backs at 275 for about 4 hours, no wrap. They'll be good 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    I get loin ribs . At my grocer, they’re a step up from baby backs. Some may consider them a pre-trimmed St. Louis style or baby backs on steroids. Lots of meat and reasonably lean. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,795
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Agree with what @JohnInCarolina stated above. 
    Don’t ever do that, even when he is correct. He gets the big head ;)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• pgprescott
    Options
    Teefus said:
    I get loin ribs . At my grocer, they’re a step up from baby backs. Some may consider them a pre-trimmed St. Louis style or baby backs on steroids. Lots of meat and reasonably lean. 
    They are baby backs. It’s fairly common these days for the butchers to leave quite a bit of loin meet on the baby backs. Or loin backs. 
  • DrWhiskey694
    Options
    Sooo...wife left her keys in the car so I had to leave during grille heat up.   Grill got to 400 and won’t get below 350.  I’ve tried everything...if I can’t get it down how long should I keep them on??
  • Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    It will go down slow. Shut the vents all but a crack. After 20 minutes open it slowly and let the heat out. Close and give it another few minutes. Put your meat on and keep it throttled back. The meat will pull heat out of the Egg. If all else fails and it stays hot, wrap after an hour or so and pull the meat when it gets to 200*. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • DrWhiskey694
    Options
    Yeah I had the ribs in the entire time bc it’s getting late.  Been on about two hours.  Just wrapped them and gonna get them to 200
  • DrWhiskey694
    Options
    Came out kinda tough, but the better half liked them.  
  • pgprescott
    Options
    Came out kinda tough, but the better half liked them.  
    Looks like the meat came off the bone anyways.

It’s common knowledge that wearing a Cubs hat in lieu of white sux  hat improves your rib game exponentially. Just saying. 😜🤪
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    They look good. The bones look like they pulled clean. Could have been a bad piece of pork.  Keep at it - you’ll find what works for you. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Tough ribs usually means undercooked. Did they pass the bend test or toothpick test?  Still looks tasty. 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • DrWhiskey694
    Options
    What exactly is the bend test?
  • DrWhiskey694
    Options
    I probably could have left them on longer...
  • pgprescott
    Options
    The bend test is when you pick the ribs up with tongs about 1/2 way up the end of the rack. If they droop over and the surface starts to fissure they are done. I’m not a fan. Often leads to broken rack of ribs if only slightly over done. Toothpick test never fails me. If
    you want them fall off the bone simply cook them longer or wrap them for a short time. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    This:

Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I probably could have left them on longer...
    It took me a while to figure out that low and slow without wrapping or spritzing resulted in more consistent results. Next time get the egg to the temp slowly to 250 dome.