Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Ozark Oak is back at Harp’s!

Options
I’m at a trade show in Chicago and the guys from Harp’s stopped by. I said I actually know About you guys from a bbq forum and the Ozark Oak lump you used to carry. He said “it’s back and we are the only retailer in the country that has it”. He told me the reason they stopped carrying it is because the plant committed to sell a national restaurant chain and it took all the production. For whatever reason they now have enough capacity to sell Harp’s again but nobody else. So if you are close to a Harp’s, go get you some. He said he exact same stuff as it was before and from the exact plant in Yellville, AR. That has always made it. He thought is was hilarious that I knew the story and was so nerdy about it. I thought it was fairly normal. 
Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    This is gonna be bigger than the opioid epidemic.   ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    You at the Home Houseware show? 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    . He thought is was hilarious that I knew the story and was so nerdy about it. I thought it was fairly normal. 
    Too bad that's not the story........or anything near it.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    . He thought is was hilarious that I knew the story and was so nerdy about it. I thought it was fairly normal. 
    Ha! He’s the furniture/seasonal buyer so he’s probably just telling me what someone told him. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    You at the Home Houseware show? 
    Yep
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Botch said:
    This is gonna be bigger than the opioid epidemic.   ;)
    :rofl:
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    Doesn't Royal Oak own that factory now?
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Henapple was the main conduit for it getting out of Arkansas so now that he’s gone left coast on us, it will likely stay isolated. One of our local dealers (BBQ Outiftters) carried it for a short while but it was $10 for 10lbs when Henapple would deliver it from TN for $5. Never figured out how he monetized that. Probably volume :)
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Henapple was the main conduit for it getting out of Arkansas so now that he’s gone left coast on us, it will likely stay isolated. One of our local dealers (BBQ Outiftters) carried it for a short while but it was $10 for 10lbs when Henapple would deliver it from TN for $5. Never figured out how he monetized that. Probably volume :)
    You could buy straight from the factory at a discount. My friend went down and picked up something like 10-12 skids of it. I think it was under $5/bag
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Ha! He’s the furniture/seasonal buyer so he’s probably just telling me what someone told him. 
    Yup, no doubt.  It's been 4 yrs now and no one probably has an old bag to compare to--so their fable might work.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    Yup, no doubt.  It's been 4 yrs now and no one probably has an old bag to compare to--so their fable might work.
    RRP has a trunk full in his Mercedes for the apocalypse if I'm not mistaking 

Minnesota
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    I think I still have a bag or 2. I atleast have a bag of the hasty bake repackaged stuff. 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    stlcharcoal said:
     It's been 4 yrs now and no one probably has an old bag to compare to--so their fable might work.
    I have 1 bag left that I kept just because.  

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,897
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    RRP has a trunk full in his Mercedes for the apocalypse if I'm not mistaking 
    No, the bags in my trunk are Rockwood. The 10 bags I still have of Ozark Oak are amongst my stash reserved strictly for use in my medium egg used strictly for baking. I call that medium my virgin egg since in the 18 years I have had it it has never had any wood nor any meat in it! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    Time to put some wood and meat in it? 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    Ive been using it since they got it back in stock a while back. Still good to me. Cheap, too. 

Little Rock, AR

• SGH
    Options
    Ive been using it since they got it back in stock a while back. Still good to me. Cheap, too. 
    The next time you are passing through Biloxi, bring a pallet load with you =)

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• SGH
    Options
    Still good to me.
    Does it seem like the exact same as it use to be?

Status- Standing by.

• Biggreenpharmacist
    Options
    I had used up my last bag of the old stuff so I can’t say its exactly the same, but its better than anything I can get around here. I had been using parker’s (which is good, too) but the OO is better. 

Little Rock, AR

• PlanoPokes79
    Options
    Been using for a month or two since temporarily up in the Tulsa area, found it at Harp's in springdale ark, 20lbs bags $11.94 and 10lbs bags $6.94. I emailed Royal Oak and told me Harp"s only to carry and is made at the same plant, just what centex was told. Seems to be the same stuff.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    That’s cool. Would love to get my hands on a bag just to see if it’s the same as before. Would love to know the whole story too. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    If I can find one near Houston tx    I ave an original bag left unopened to check with
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    You grossly underestimate my/our capability to hoard :smiley:

There are more in there . Just can't get to them right now. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I liked the OO but the rockwood is a better burn
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Zero complaints my way for Rockwood. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Never tried it but get the sense this brand causes some sort of triggering for some.   :dizzy:
  • PlanoPokes79
    Options
    When I first found thought were just using up leftover bags after royal oak bought, but once they kept supply the stores, that is when I emailed royal oak and ask what was going on.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    Never tried it but get the sense this brand causes some sort of triggering for some.   :dizzy:
    I have only followed this forum for a few years - any idea why this lump is controversial? 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • rifrench
    rifrench Posts: 469
    Options

As a matter of fact, I have one unopened bag left.

1 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 1 KBQ and a 26" Blackstone near Blackstone, Virginia