Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

All Sams Clubs To Carry Prime Beef

Options
I can't take any credit for this. I'm only the messenger. I noticed this posted over on the Brethren:

https://www.grocerydive.com/news/sams-club-stocks-usda-prime-beef-in-all-stores/548012/

All I can say is finally, Sams Club! 
"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota

Comments

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited February 2019
    Options
    It’s about time. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,099
    Options
    Yep!

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,030
    Options
    Now we can only hope they drop their Smithfield ribs for something else
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Tarpon65
    Tarpon65 Posts: 205
    Options
    I saw this posted at another BBQ site this morning, but here is a deal that give's you $45 purchase credit to offset the $45 Sam's membership fee.  I plan to do this in the next couple of days.  https://slickdeals.net/f/12632374-sam-s-club-new-members-join-for-45-get-45-off-when-you-spend-45-some-exclusions-apply?src=SiteSearchV2_SearchBarV2Algo1
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,346
    Options
    This is great! We have a Costco membership, but it's over an hour away. Sam's club is 5 minutes!
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• SGH
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    This is great! We have a Costco membership, but it's over an hour away. Sam's club is 5 minutes!
    I’m in the same boat. The nearest Costco to me is a little over an hour away. Sams is right down the road. 

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I converted from sams to Costco 4 months ago when my sams membership expired mainly because they carried prime briskets and pork belly.  Since then they’ve stopped carrying pork bellies. We still like our Costco better and don’t plan on going back though. It’s nicer, cleaner and has wider aisles. 
  • jeffc5227
    Options
    A couple of weeks ago I found prime brisket at my local Sams I couldn’t believe my eyes so I asked for a whole case thinking it was a one time deal. Either way this is great news.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    jeffc5227 said:
    A couple of weeks ago I found prime brisket at my local Sams I couldn’t believe my eyes so I asked for a whole case thinking it was a one time deal. Either way this is great news.
    That looks killer!

Minnesota
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Tonight's supper is beautiful prime ribeyes from SAMS I bought back in December which was the first time I had seen prime there. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • KGilma2018
    Options
    My Sam's has had prime for a while.  One certain night a week they mark down all the meat.   My freezer is full to the brim with prime beef.   
    Franklin, TN
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Sams in Aus has had prime as long as I can remember, just not all cuts, beef ribs and tenderloin, no brisket, etc.

The yoga pants index is higher at Costco though.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    That’s great.  I’ll drop the Costco membership when it comes for renewal 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • njl
    njl Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I noticed my local Sam's has had prime briskets the past couple of times I've been in.  Price per lb was slightly higher than Costco, but not terrible.
  • WeberWho
    Options
    I just checked my local Sams Club for Prime. No Prime yet. Dang it. 

Minnesota
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Legume said:
    Sams in Aus has had prime as long as I can remember, just not all cuts, beef ribs and tenderloin, no brisket, etc.

The yoga pants index is higher at Costco though.
    At least the ones you want to see. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • jeponline
    Options
    Does Sam’s blade tenderize their prime steaks?
    Large BGE
    Huntsville, AL
  • SGH
    edited February 2019
    Options
    jeponline said:
    Does Sam’s blade tenderize their prime steaks?
    The ones in my area do not.  

Status- Standing by.

• milesvdustin
    Options
    My Sam's does not blade tenderize 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,898
    Options
    Those prime ribeyes we had from SAMS last night were not tenderized. To me the telltale sign of tenderizing can easily be seen in the fat when purchasing. 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • jeffc5227
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    jeffc5227 said:
    That looks killer!
    Thanks,I have 2 more of them in the fridge. They will be aged a month on Sunday. I’m going to cook one this weekend. I will let you guys know how it turns out.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Went to my Sam's today for a butt, saw the prime beef. They had briskets for 3.59 a lbs, ribeyes cut and whole ones, ny strips cut, and sirloin cut. 

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Our Sam’s in Charlotte had no prime today. Hopefully they will get it soon..
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Ours was in one of the little side case reach in coolers, not the big main meat cooler. 

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Went and took a look around Sam's today.

The prime cuts weren't all that great. Ribeyes looked like choice. NY strip looked decent. Half the case (end cap) was greying and marked down for quick sale. Prime brisket looked decent and was $3.28/lb I think.

There was one package of choice flanken cut short ribs in the regular case that actually looked like prime. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Saw those at ours too. It would take us quite a while to eat that much beef :) I'd be interested in what you think of it .

I would have picked up the NY strips, but fridge and freezers are packed. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    They had those in ribeye prime at my Sam's, but they were 180 bucks or so. Nah 

• Lowcountrygamecock
    Options
    I don’t know my cuts of meat but I saw the same thing at my Costco the other night. What exactly is a beef striploin? 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    edited February 2019
    Options
    I don’t know my cuts of meat but I saw the same thing at my Costco the other night. What exactly is a beef striploin? 
    1 complete side of meat that is cut into strip steaks. The above is what many call a boneless primal. Both Sams and Costco normally sell both Strip and Ribeye this way. You can cut into steaks yourself or cook as a whole roast or half and half.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=4&v=Xlt0ZFarhRQ
    Not a great video but you will get the just of it.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas