Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - The Consumer Reports hate begins in 3, 2, 1...

HeavyG
HeavyG Posts: 10,324
The March issue reviews kamados...

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

Comments

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    edited February 2019
    Lower than a Pit Boss!? WTF.

How is cleaning and convenience any different between all if them?
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    As far as cleaning the ash a few of them have pull out ash trays so you don't have to scrape the ash out with a hook thru the lower vent.
    The Broil King:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,944
    Oh well, Millenials only eat out, so eventually all of these companies will go the way of Harley.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    These folks rated an Akorn higher than a Big Green Egg. SMDH 
  • HeavyG
    These folks rated an Akorn higher than a Big Green Egg. SMDH 
    My guess is the only reason it was ranked a bit higher was just due to the weighting given to the retail pricing.

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Where is the primo?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • I was just going to post about this.   I'm not sure how any of them are any more convenient, than another one.   It's a process to get any of them ready to cook. 
    Franklin, TN
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    One thing about these magazines, they have to prove their worth to the consumer.  So if they always pick the norm or most expensive, no one is going to subscribe.  They always have to change things up to show their value.

Also, they might not accept advertising, but they all have corporate underwriters.

Cooks Illustrated also always dogs the BGE and lump charcoal.....and they always have a brand new shiny gas grill on the set from one of their sponsors at the beginning of the show.
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Does warranty service fall into a category?  Not written warranty I.e. lifetime on ceramics.  Actual length/difficulty to file a claim and be replaced.  That’s where I could really see BGE getting hurt on a rating scale.  
  • We used to have a subscription to CR, and followed their best picks for washers, dryers, tv's and the like. Found most of their picks to be no better than anything else within that particular price range. We dropped the subscription about 10 years ago.
    Just curious as to how BGE compares to KJ, PRIMO on cracking of ceramics ? Just discovered a crack on my fire box ring last week, egg is 2 years old, most of my cooks 250-400 degree range.
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • BGE has a head start on everyone, now most have caught up, and some have surpassed in terms of innovation. I have several eggs, and a few kamados from other brands on this list. If I started collecting today, maybe so many would not be green, just due to more being available on the market than ten years ago. BGE will remain a major player, they just won’t be the market leader. My guess is their business is, and will be bigger than ever. And that’s because the market is growing fast for kamados. 
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Was there any mention of Golden's cast iron cooker? That's the one I've really been eyeing but don't find much information on it.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    I’m worried about @Lit, looks like he may have chosen the wrong metal cooker.  I guess CR considers that a Kamado?
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Legume said:
    I’m worried about @Lit, looks like he may have chosen the wrong metal cooker.  I guess CR considers that a Kamado?
    Never seen the broil king in person but I’m pretty sure I remember hearing good things about it. I do know I love my Weber and won’t ever have another ceramic grill. Pork shoulder from yesterday. 
  • The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    edited February 2019
    Sounds like mostly BS to me, but if I were shopping around for a new kamado, I don’t think I’d necessarily stick with BGE.
    And the world shudders as I agree with @JohnInCarolina
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• dmourati
    dmourati Posts: 1,265
    Competition in the market is good for the consumer. CR tends to be pretty focused on value for dollar spent. There's no doubt the BGE commands a price premium and therefore ranks lower.

As a single cooker owner, I look at it differently. I want to go with the market leader almost irrespective of price. That means I get the benefits of forums like this, better accessories, and a stronger community overall.
    Mountain View, CA
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Reading that gave the the strange urge to put on skinny jeans. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

Pics...

Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    blasting said:

Pics...

NO!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    The fact that cleaning a grill is even part of the ranking system says all you need to know about that report.
    I don’t think so at all. I have a 2yr old and a 4 yr old and anything that makes life easier is a plus to me. 
  • Lit said:
    The fact that cleaning a grill is even part of the ranking system says all you need to know about that report.
    I don’t think so at all. I have a 2yr old and a 4 yr old and anything that makes life easier is a plus to me. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GATraveller
    Yea....cant imagine how yall survive.

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • Also, they might not accept advertising, but they all have corporate underwriters.

I don't always agree with CR, but do believe they have no corporate underwriting.  Can you provide a link?
    Raleigh, NC
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Hub said:
    Was there any mention of Golden's cast iron cooker? That's the one I've really been eyeing but don't find much information on it.
    Had a chance to see one last year, at the Wayne county fair. Was a cool idea and design.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Not in the market today nor do I see it in my future.  That said, I would be on the Weber Summit if I was.  When they first hit the market I saw a few demo cooks and was giving one strong consideration.  Then I went totally south and ended up with a stick-burner.  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    One thing about these magazines, they have to prove their worth to the consumer.  So if they always pick the norm or most expensive, no one is going to subscribe.  They always have to change things up to show their value.

Also, they might not accept advertising, but they all have corporate underwriters.

Cooks Illustrated also always dogs the BGE and lump charcoal.....and they always have a brand new shiny gas grill on the set from one of their sponsors at the beginning of the show.
    Consumer reports doesn't take money or products from manufacturers.   They don't have corporate underwriters.