Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

In the market for a cheap, tough, and functional watch?

Options

Comments

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    I like the ball watches.  They aren’t cheap but they are very well built and they last.a lifetime.  You get what you pay for with watches.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,361
    Options
    I bought this a few months back and now it's all I wear.
    I use to have one of those type watches with all the little dials and buttons and tachymeter. Then I got old and didn't want to have to put on my reading glasses just to read my damn watch.
    Nowadays, in addition to my old Seiko dive watch, I roll with this "old guy" Timex Men's Easy Reader Large Dial Watch:

When that gets difficult to read I figure I'll join Flavor Flav and this kind will be my next watch:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    Options
    I only like pocket watches.  
    Im pretty fond of them myself. I wear overalls that has a dedicated pocket watch pocket on the chest.

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,457
    Options
    I like watches. Currently have 4, one is a Navy Seal Blackout Luminox, one is a TWC, the other 2 are Breitlings. Due to DHH codes and 3rd party auditers, I can’t wear them to work. One of the Breitlings and the TWC spend weeks on the watch winder before I get around to wearing them. Sucks 
  • BigreenGreg
    Options
    I bought this a few months back and now it's all I wear.
    Nice looking watch, my Eco-drive lasted 10 years. Might be time for another.
    LBGE, 36" Blackstone, Anova Pro
    Charleston, SC
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,513
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    One of the Breitlings and the TWC spend weeks on the watch winder before I get around to wearing them. Sucks 
    Tell me about this "watch winder"...?

"Commander, say hello to Cricket!"  - KN

• Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,675
    Options
    Gave my Rolex Submariner to my daughter 15 years ago and used my cell phone which is much more accurate than previous Rolexs. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,224
    Options
    $50 will get you a lot of watch if you look in the right places. 
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=uYlOIKtYsos

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I can tell you within 15 minutes what time it is without a watch or clock. That’s good enough for my profession 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    I wound up with a spare engagement ring in my 20s (long story).  Unfortunately the Jewelry story wasn't a Rolex dealer so I traded for 3 Tags in store credit instead. I sold 2 on Ebay and kept the 3rd. My wife hates that watch. 

South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Mdames501
    Options
    I’ve worn a Longines hydroconquest every day for five years. It was a wedding gift from my wife. I’m hoping one day to get an Omega Speedmaster that was the watch worn all the Apollo missions. But that will be a while 
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,457
    Options
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:
    One of the Breitlings and the TWC spend weeks on the watch winder before I get around to wearing them. Sucks 

Looks like this: watch spins clockwise and counterclockwise every so many minutes to keep your automatic watch “on time”. This one is an Eilux, my other is a Wolf. Pictured is one of my Breitlings. 
  • blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Options
    Mdames501 said:
    I’ve worn a Longines hydroconquest every day for five years. It was a wedding gift from my wife. I’m hoping one day to get an Omega Speedmaster that was the watch worn all the Apollo missions. But that will be a while 
    jomashop!
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • Botch
    Options
    ColbyLang said:
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:

Looks like this: watch spins clockwise and counterclockwise every so many minutes to keep your automatic watch “on time”. This one is an Eilux, my other is a Wolf. Pictured is one of my Breitlings. 
    Thanks!  I figured that's what it did, but have never seen or even heard of such a thing before.  

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,182
    Options
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:

Thanks!  I figured that's what it did, but have never seen or even heard of such a thing before.  
    I usually just have my butler wear each watch for about an hour a day.  I find that works.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:

I usually just have my butler wear each watch for about an hour a day.  I find that works.
    ...or you could just wear it while browsing certain internet "sites"...
    Options
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:

One of the FUNNIEST posts ever!   Thaks Nola!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,361
    Options
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:

I don't think 5 seconds is enough to keep it wound.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,147
    Options
    Been wearing the Seiko sea urchin for over a year. 

Scratched from keg boxes,  and a mineral crystal, 
    but tough and elegant enough for pretty much any occasion — ~$110...  seems it also thinks I’m living in France, as I zoom in...

Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    I hate wearing a watch. I don't like the weight, the feel, the pulling arm hairs from metal bands, the sweat from wearing one, the tan line, and most of all, the ticking noise from an analog second hand. I have sensitive ears that pick up every noise when it's quiet. And yes, a Rolex second hand ticks, just really fast. 
    I own several watches, almost all gifts. If they tick, they end up in a drawer in the kitchen (away from the bedroom) until the battery or winding dies.
    Only 2 I have liked. One is a cheap digital watch. Kept it on my hunting backpack and wore it sometimes while hunting. I think I've had it 20 years and it's still on the first battery. It's definitely fading though. I never wear it anymore unless I am out of phone range for a long time hunting or fishing, but it stays on the backpack. 
    The other one I like is a Titan Edge. No second hand so no ticking. Feather weight so it's like not wearing a watch. Super thin, might be 3-4 credit cards thick. And it looks nice. Problem is the battery life is horrible. I might wear it a couple of times in a year and it needs a new battery. 

https://www.tatacliq.com/titan-nh679yl01-edge-analog-watch-for-men/p-mp000000000622081
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Toxarch said:
    I hate wearing a watch. I don't like the weight, the feel, the pulling arm hairs from metal bands, the sweat from wearing one, the tan line, and most of all, the ticking noise from an analog second hand. I have sensitive ears that pick up every noise when it's quiet. And yes, a Rolex second hand ticks, just really fast. 
    I own several watches, almost all gifts. If they tick, they end up in a drawer in the kitchen (away from the bedroom) until the battery or winding dies.
    Only 2 I have liked. One is a cheap digital watch. Kept it on my hunting backpack and wore it sometimes while hunting. I think I've had it 20 years and it's still on the first battery. It's definitely fading though. I never wear it anymore unless I am out of phone range for a long time hunting or fishing, but it stays on the backpack. 
    The other one I like is a Titan Edge. No second hand so no ticking. Feather weight so it's like not wearing a watch. Super thin, might be 3-4 credit cards thick. And it looks nice. Problem is the battery life is horrible. I might wear it a couple of times in a year and it needs a new battery. 

https://www.tatacliq.com/titan-nh679yl01-edge-analog-watch-for-men/p-mp000000000622081
    Not a watch for the OP but, related to above...

Check out Grand Seiko's new spring drive movement.  It’s a truly continuous movement and kind of a hybrid between a mechanical and a quartz. Expensive but beautifully built watches. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Botch
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Check out Grand Seiko's new spring drive movement.  It’s a truly continuous movement and kind of a hybrid between a mechanical and a quartz. Expensive but beautifully built watches. 
    So, kind've a CVT for timepieces?   :)

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,732
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:

Depends on how vigorous one is...

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    blind99 said:
    Mdames501 said:
    jomashop!

Jomashop is an interesting place... and legit. I don't think you get the warranty that you'd get from an authorized dealer, but at 1/2 the price who cares. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    SonVolt said:
    blind99 said:
    Mdames501 said:
    jomashop!

Jomashop is an interesting place... and legit. I don't think you get the warranty that you'd get from an authorized dealer, but at 1/2 the price who cares. 
    Yeah, it's like buying, I don't know if anyone remembers this, camera gear that's on a "grey market".  IE - European gear.  Way cheaper, but limbo on warranty.  I bought my last watch from jomashop, and the watches are totally legit, no faux stuff, but there's a warranty issue I'm sure.  Not that I care much about that.  Higher end anything will mostly be delivered flawed, and jomashop will replace, or will work forever and be serviceable by local tradesmen.  Either way, you will, in the long run, come out ahead.  IMO
    Options
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:

I only date models, so I don’t have that option.  
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • nolaegghead
    Options
    thetrim said:
    caliking said:
    HeavyG said:
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:
    Botch said:
    ColbyLang said:

I only date models, so I don’t have that option.  
    Pics or it didn't happen
    This one fits your criteria well. Low maintenance. Accurate. Stylish. Inexpensive. 

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I usually have two watches everyday. The first is an iron man that stays in my bag and I wear a Samsung Gear, mostly for the functions that are convenient for my job. The iron man is a back up for if/when the Samsung goes down. 
    Why not a third watch in case the ironman goes down?  i mean, if you are gonna have redundancy you might as well get serious about it!

Any chance you tow a car behind your car just in case the one you are driving breaks down?  =)
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    I only like pocket watches.  Pretty happy with my Patek Philippe Supercomplication.

Any chance you could swing by in the G6 this weekend and blast us down to Mexico for a few days in the sun?