Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

(Award Winning) Smoked Brisket Chili Served at Salado After Party 2014

Options

Comments

• marysvilleksegghead
    Options
    Which Penderys chili powder?  search shows 65 results :o
    Lrg 2008
    Mini 2009
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    edited January 2019
    Options
    @marysvilleksegghead :  We have always used the "ORIGINAL" flavor from Pendery's.
    https://penderys.com/chile-blend-original.html
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @JohnInCarolina, looks like you nailed it!
    Kelley 
    Egging with No Joke Smoke (Bruce), enjoying small town life in Brenham, TX., the home of Blue Bell Ice Cream.  BGEs: XL, Medium,  1 MiniMax. 36" CookRite Commercial Griddle, and a Shirley Smoker.
  • NJ_BBQ
    NJ_BBQ Posts: 137
    Options
    Add me to the long list of people who have enjoyed this this recipe. Thank you!

Basking  Ridge, NJ - XL with KAB
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Question. Got a 5lbs brisket point that looks like a beauty to make this for super bowl Sunday. Do you cook the brisket a little less tender given it will be in the chili for 3 hours?

• EggObsessed
    Options
    @unoriginalusername:  Cook the brisket as you would cook it to eat it, all the way.  The three hour cooking time allows the brisket to fall apart into silky, smaller pieces.  You don't want "chunks" of bite-sized brisket remaining in the chili.  This way allows you to fully enjoy the brisket BOTH ways!
    Kelley 
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    @unoriginalusername:  Cook the brisket as you would cook it to eat it, all the way.  The three hour cooking time allows the brisket to fall apart into silky, smaller pieces.  You don't want "chunks" of bite-sized brisket remaining in the chili.  This way allows you to fully enjoy the brisket BOTH ways!
    Thanks. Agree with this recipe being awesome. Was a big hit 

• Daddyshack
    Options
    Made today for concession stand at son’s hoop game. Big success.  Thanks for recipe 
  • JonHalestrap
    Options
    henapple said:

½ cup + 2 TBL chili powder (I use Pendery’s Original Chile Blend which is available in the Central Market bulk section or here:  http://www.penderys.com/ )

2 tsp. smoked paprika

2 tsp. cayenne

1 TBL cumin

2 tsp. Mexican oregano

2 tsp. granulated onion

2 tsp. granulated garlic

Is this a substitute if you cannot get Pembery chilli?
  • EggObsessed
    EggObsessed Posts: 786
    Options
    Just use the best quality chili powder you can find in your area.  Maybe read some online reviews of brands of chili powders.
    Kelley 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited October 2020
    Options
    Finally ordered from PENDERYS CHILI BLEND but still hasnt arrived  :|  and I have to cook tmrw morn, so I will have to use the leftover PENZEYS CHILI 3000 I have.  Those company names are similar . . weird.  

@EggObsessed I am Reading over this post again . . it seems like ppl are confused as your ingredients list "1/2 cup +2 TBL Chili Powder" then just below you list additional common spices that make up Chili Powder.   

Just to clarify . . . the spices you list below "chili powder" (such as smoked paprika / cayenne / cumin) need to be added IN ADDITION to the "1/2 cup +2 TBL Chili Powder". . correct? 
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    NDG said:
    Finally ordered from PENDERYS CHILI BLEND but still hasnt arrived  :|  and I have to cook tmrw morn, so I will have to use the leftover PENZEYS CHILI 3000 I have.  Those company names are similar . . weird.  

@EggObsessed I am Reading over this post again . . it seems like ppl are confused as your ingredients list "1/2 cup +2 TBL Chili Powder" then just below you list additional common spices that make up Chili Powder.   

Just to clarify . . . the spices you list below "chili powder" (such as smoked paprika / cayenne / cumin) need to be added IN ADDITION to the "1/2 cup +2 TBL Chili Powder". . correct? 
    Yes, @NDG, each ingredient is added to the chili. The other ingredients you ask about are to adjust the flavors. So, yes, include every ingredient on the list.

I'm sorry to hear that your Pendery's hasn't arrived. I did an order recently and it was pretty slow getting to me. I'm sure your Pendzey's will be fine, but, honestly, even though the names are similar, the quality of the products are not. Pendery's is a Texas company, and they know chiles and Texas flavors, which are perfect for the chili.  Don't worry about using Penzey's, but please give your next batch a try when the Pendery's gets to you.  You won't be disappointed.
    Kelley 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited October 2020
    Options
    @EggObsessed thanks for quick reply - I have made your chili many time now and always great, but I wanted to clarify the ingredient list.  

This time I am doing a double batch, I guess I’ll use a large stock pot instead of 2 Dutch Ovens :s

I am certainly excited to try the PENDERYS blend (If it ever arrives) to compare - I will let you know !!  

Actually one last Q . . I just used S&P on brisket so wonder what kind of rub (I have no generic bbq rub) would work to add in - or I can just skip it ?
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @NDG said: Actually one last Q . . I just used S&P on brisket so wonder what kind of rub (I have no generic bbq rub) would work to add in - or I can just skip it ?

I never have mentioned this because I don't want to break any rules, but since you are asking.....

My husband and I have a small rub business, www.itsmyrub.com, and we use the "Power Blend" rub in our chili, among a million other uses. The rub has 21 herbs and spices in it, and has a smokey flavor from smoked paprika, along with celery salt and celery seed, which enhances the ingredients that are already in the chili.  You can find our EXACT Smoked Brisket Chili recipe on our website. 
    Kelley 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Love "It's My Rub" and this recipe.  I make it 3 or 4 times a year, and freeze.  Reheating in the Sous Vide works great!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    @NDG, I forgot to say that every time I make it, I make a 4x batch in a giant stock pot. I figure that as long as I'm going through the motions, I might as well have a lot of leftovers. Like @smbishop, I freeze mine in quart containers and either sous vide to rewarm, or just let thaw in the fridge. It's equally as good after being frozen. You'll be fine doing a double batch in one pot!
    Kelley 
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    I really miss you girl. 
    Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    In my version I used smoked Chuck Roast. It was still fit to eat.

Michiana, South of the border.
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    We're making this tonight.  It's already tasty and it hasn't come up to simmer yet.  

We made a smaller batch and are using the well-trimmed point.  

Can't wait!!!!!
  • brentm
    brentm Posts: 422
    Options
    I'm just going to bump this thread.... as I have been able to bask in quite a bit of glory with the Mrs.

Everyone loved it so much we're making it again!!!!!!

👏👏👏👏👏👏
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    That is so great to hear, @brentm. Glad you're spreading the brisket chili love!!  I think it's such a great use of leftover brisket, especially when it's not a "best effort" in it's original form.
    Kelley 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 689
    Options
    Actually made this last night. I did over the top method with meatloaf mix, salt, pepper, and a small dusting of dizzy dust. No brisket, but turned out well.

• Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Making this tonight with leftover brisket I smoked few days ago. Been a while since I've cooked it and looking forward to it. What temp do you guys/gals typically cook this on egg? 250? 350? 
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Making this tonight with leftover brisket I smoked few days ago. Been a while since I've cooked it and looking forward to it. What temp do you guys/gals typically cook this on egg? 250? 350? 
    Once the brisket has already been cooked on the BGE, we typically cook the actual chili on the stovetop or on a propane cooker outside.  If cooking on the BGE, I would put a lid on it at around 300-350 to get it all nice and hot and simmering, then, you could take the top off to let more BGE flavor in until the brisket becomes fall-apart tender.  There's no need to cook it at a lower temp than that, in my opinion. Enjoy!!
    Kelley 
  • Chubbs
    Chubbs Posts: 6,929
    Options
    Chubbs said:
    Once the brisket has already been cooked on the BGE, we typically cook the actual chili on the stovetop or on a propane cooker outside.  If cooking on the BGE, I would put a lid on it at around 300-350 to get it all nice and hot and simmering, then, you could take the top off to let more BGE flavor in until the brisket becomes fall-apart tender.  There's no need to cook it at a lower temp than that, in my opinion. Enjoy!!
    Thanks. Yes, I intended to use the egg since other items being cooked inside. I figured the higher temp would be best. Thanks again!
    Columbia, SC --- LBGE 2011 -- MINI BGE 2013
  • JKellar
    Options
    2022 and I’m still making this chili. It is on now for the super bowl tonight. Just thought I would let @EggObsessed know! This recipe is the best recipe I’ve ever found on this forum. 
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    JKellar said:
    2022 and I’m still making this chili. It is on now for the super bowl tonight. Just thought I would let @EggObsessed know! This recipe is the best recipe I’ve ever found on this forum. 

Thanks so much for the kind words, @JKellar. I'm so glad you enjoy the chili as much as we do! We put a lot of time, care, thought and love into that recipe. It's an honor to have others enjoy it!

Kelley 
  • wps456
    wps456 Posts: 90
    Options
    This is my first time to see this thread and the recipe sounds awesome but I'm a little confused...what's this "leftover brisket" that y'all speak of? We never seem to have any around here!!
    I'll be ordering these seasonings you mentioned before long, thanks for sharing the recipe!!
  • EggObsessed
    Options
    wps456 said:
    This is my first time to see this thread and the recipe sounds awesome but I'm a little confused...what's this "leftover brisket" that y'all speak of? We never seem to have any around here!!
    I'll be ordering these seasonings you mentioned before long, thanks for sharing the recipe!!
    As far as "leftover brisket"???......well.......we live in TEXAS! We are blessed with an abundance of brisket :wink: The recipe came from lots of leftover brisket while learning how to cook brisket when we were greenhorns. Now, we cook brisket just to make the chili!

I hope you try the recipe and enjoy it! :smile:
    Kelley