Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

New BGE guy here

Options
2»

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Dallas Area. Me thinks you are right about the 2nd egg.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Welcome aboard from Austin. Always nice to add a new TX Egger to the forum. This place is a $hit show at times so don’t pay too much attn when the family gets dysfunctional. There is way more good than bad and most of the crazy stuff is fun too if you can let it roll. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • R2Egg2Q
    R2Egg2Q Posts: 2,136
    Options
    Welcome aboard! The Egg tends to cook a little hotter towards the back so I’d recommend putting the point towards back.  
    XL, Large, Small, Mini Eggs, Shirley Fabrication 24x36 Patio, Humphrey's Weekender, Karubecue C-60, MAK 1-Star General, Hasty Bake Gourmet, Santa Maria Grill, Webers: 14" WSM, 22.5" OTG, 22.5" Kettle Premium, WGA Charcoal, Summit S-620 NG

Bay Area, CA
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@TEXASBGE2018 Have fun, and welcome

Phoenix 
  • Elijah
    Elijah Posts: 688
    Options
    kl8ton said:
    Welcome! 

I would not cook the brisket in the living room. 

:smile:

My most direct boss came in a few months ago and said he had tried to run his electric smoker in his apartment since they didn't allow smoking outside. It filled the apartment within minutes.... There are people in this world that need what @kl8ton just provided there. The obvious.
  • mlc2013
    mlc2013 Posts: 988
    Options
     I was like you at one time excited and eager to spend money  on enhancing my egg experience but after reading this comment on another post I’ve decided to take it in stride and only get things that I feel I’m missing out on only after The need arises not before with that said I have a lot of toys because it’s amazing How fast that need for something and usefulness reveals itself. So to quote @YukonRon
    • YukonRonYukonRon  Posts: 10,945
      Forget retirement. You now are inflicted with BGEism, a widely known condition that causes massive weight loss of your bank account, while creating significant weight gain on your credit cards. 
      The initial purchase of the BGE is the least expensive aspect of owning a BGE.
      You have been warned. 
      Get a membership to Costco for your protein purchases, aluminum foil aluminum pans, and alcohol, get a membership at Restaurant Depot for tools such as sausage makers, knives, cutting boards, slicers, etc., find a great carpenter for building storage cabinets for spices and rubs,  dedicate storage space in your garage for a minimum 30 bags of lump, and cases of smoking wood, (cars, bicycles, yard tools do not need inside storage space, you will learn) build that second garage, (because your wife's car needs storage space, you will learn) keep a land scaping company on retainer, because you will buy another BGE and you will need to modify your patio and yard, adding lighting for the evening cooks etc., go to your appliance store and get a deep freezer, then go back 3 months later and get the bigger one you talked yourself out of,  then a year later get the big one (your third) you thought would be ridiculous to buy in the first place, build yourself a decent wine cellar, second fridge, audio and visual system for the time you spend with the BGE, new patio furniture, find a Lodge cast iron outlet, oh, yeah, almost forgot, start the planning of the remodeling of your kitchen. Do I even need to talk about coolers yet?
      But most of all enjoy every step of this crazy journey, because it is worth it.
      Welcome to the forum......therapy is every Friday night in here, and occasionally every day that ends in "Y".
      Have fun, and glad to have you. 
    Long Island NY    
    1 XL BGE 12/17, 1 LG BGE 3/18, 1 MM BGE 3/18
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Elijah said:
    kl8ton said:
    Welcome! 

I would not cook the brisket in the living room. 

:smile:

My most direct boss came in a few months ago and said he had tried to run his electric smoker in his apartment since they didn't allow smoking outside. It filled the apartment within minutes.... There are people in this world that need what @kl8ton just provided there. The obvious.
    Sounds like you are overdue a promotion...
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I couldn’t help myself 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    haha, I wouldn't call this a zombie thread yet. But point made.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• bradleya123
    Options
    Welcome Aboard!!!  Have fun!!!  
    Retired Navy, LBGE
    Pinehurst, NC

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Welcome Aboard!!!  Have fun!!!  
    Haha, thanks. Been here a year already!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    My advice - try not to take things written here, or yourself - too seriously.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Hey everyone. I just got my first BGE (a large) a week ago after heavily debating between a large or xl. I have a wife 2 kids and myself but do have a somewhat large extended family. Figure I will buy another BGE in 6 months to a year and get either another large or maybe a medium or MM. So far I’ve cooked burgers, chicken and grilled corn. Planning on doing my 1st low and slow Saturday night. Bought a 12lb brisket. I also just bought a PSWoo with extension shelf from the Ceramic Grill Store that is arriving today. I guess that’s the advantage of being in North Texas because delivery takes 1 day. I bought the kit so I have the nest,mates,plate setter and already have a couple pizza stones and an igrill 2. Does anyone have any other recommendations for accessories to get? Also any advice for cooking a brisket for 1st time? I have a Weber Smokey Mountain that I’ve cooked a dozen or so briskets in so I feel like I can take in the challenge. 
    Smaller paragraphs are your friend.  Just some constructive criticism.  
    Options
    Hey everyone. I just got my first BGE (a large) a week ago after heavily debating between a large or xl. I have a wife 2 kids and myself but do have a somewhat large extended family. Figure I will buy another BGE in 6 months to a year and get either another large or maybe a medium or MM. So far I’ve cooked burgers, chicken and grilled corn. Planning on doing my 1st low and slow Saturday night. Bought a 12lb brisket. I also just bought a PSWoo with extension shelf from the Ceramic Grill Store that is arriving today. I guess that’s the advantage of being in North Texas because delivery takes 1 day. I bought the kit so I have the nest,mates,plate setter and already have a couple pizza stones and an igrill 2. Does anyone have any other recommendations for accessories to get? Also any advice for cooking a brisket for 1st time? I have a Weber Smokey Mountain that I’ve cooked a dozen or so briskets in so I feel like I can take in the challenge. 
    Ya I think you’ve told me that before.

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    My hope is that eventually, you will listen.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    My hope is that eventually, you will listen.

Doubtful. That any better?

• SSQUAL612
    SSQUAL612 Posts: 1,186
    Options
    Did you get your second Egg yet?   I picked up a KJ Classic recently so I’ll be accessorizing it from CGS soon. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    SSQUAL612 said:
    Did you get your second Egg yet?   I picked up a KJ Classic recently so I’ll be accessorizing it from CGS soon. 
    Not yet. Going to wait until we move later this year. Might end up buying an outdoor wood fired oven.