Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Still Have Holiday Houseguest

My MIL is still here.  She rode in on her broom in mid December and isn’t flying home until mid January.  Maybe it’s me, but houseguests are welcome to stay as long as a typical fish lasts in the fridge.  Then they both stink.  It’s not like we don’t get along.  This is us playing tag in the yard:

I sure will be sad to take her to the airport in 10 days, 9 hours and 32 minutes to fly home.

Flint, Michigan

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    You need an airport for brooms?!
    A month is tough duty- can you arrange a work trip out of town?
    Greensboro, NC
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    when we bought our house we strategically set it up without a guest room.  they can visit they just cant stay.  the only people that stay now is my SIL on an air mattress in our office but the mattress might get a pin hole leak next time, you never know about those things. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    this is a good reason to have pastimes that ofer ample opportunities for out of town travel with the boys.

Hunting
    Fishing
    Golfing

Nice time of year for a trip from Flint to Mexico for a little deep sea fishing.
  • You all are full of good ideas.  I have much to learn.
    Flint, Michigan
  • Yeah.....the difference between in-laws and outlaws are out-laws are wanted.

This endurance test must build you some big favour points with the wife.

Weber Genesis CP310; Weber Q1200 (camping); LBGE.

"If you haven't heard a rumour by 8:30 am - start one"

• 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited January 2019
    Yikes!

When we lived in Atlanta, relatives and friends of relatives would want to stay with us during their trip to/from Florida.

We established ground rules from the start:

"We would be delighted to help you with hotel reservations."

It's amazing how many of them became angry as if we were obligated to play host and hostess. 

You might want to give it a try next year.  =)
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • Yeah.....the difference between in-laws and outlaws are out-laws are wanted.

I know my house turns into BJ central whenever my MIL is staying with us.  I've convinced SWMBO that it's the only thing we can do that doesn't make any sound loud enough to wake her mom up, and that she owes it to me for putting up with all of the BS.  It's a BJ for BS trade that I've been happy to make.    It's the only way I come out ahead. 
    sound it out yaidjit
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    I had one show up, took me 2.5 years to get rid of her
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    The sure thing is that mothers and daughters will eventually start fighting. Just remember to stay out of it when they start.
    A very wise man told me "There is no roof large enough for two women. "
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    I guess there’s pros and cons to having them 7 miles away.  Of course when it was 700’....
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Change fee for a ticket is only $200... #moneywellspent
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    I really like all my inlaws......except for one sister-in-law.  The rest are welcome anytime!

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    I feel your pain. My inlaws live next door.... ugh. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Fred19Flintstone
    Fred19Flintstone Posts: 8,168
    edited January 2019

Yeah.....the difference between in-laws and outlaws are out-laws are wanted.

I know my house turns into BJ central whenever my MIL is staying with us.  I've convinced SWMBO that it's the only thing we can do that doesn't make any sound loud enough to wake her mom up, and that she owes it to me for putting up with all of the BS.  It's a BJ for BS trade that I've been happy to make.    It's the only way I come out ahead. 
    Phew!!!  When I read the first line, I thought “Who is this guy’s MIL?  Traci Lords?”  I’m glad your wife smokes a peace pipe.
    Flint, Michigan
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207

She must be a heavy, heavy sleeper if a bj doesn't wake her up...
    Guessing it's minimally invasive.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead

Guessing it's minimally invasive.
    one of them "micro-peens"...

Or his wife is a quiet, little CS. 
    Tyler, TX   XL BGE 2016, KJ Classic 2019,  MES, 18.5 WSM,  Akorn Jr,  36"&17" Black Stone, Adj Rig, Woo, Grill Grates, SS Smokeware Cap, KAB,  FB 300, Thermapen 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Do what I do and walk around the house nekked :bee:
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    You guys are a bunch of characters. :)  @Fred19Flintstone My heart goes out to you.  I couldn't have my own mother in my house for that long.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942
    I live in a gated community.  I tell them 3-days is max for guests per community rules.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,942

If I had your negotiating skills I would build an in-law suite and move my MIL in.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,182
    edited January 2019
    Sometimes the obvious choice is the best choice. Have you thought about faking your own death?
  • nolaegghead
    Sometimes the obvious choice is the best choice. Have you thought about faking your own death?
    I think this is a viable option, maybe the only option, for Fred.
    The sure thing is that mothers and daughters will eventually start fighting. Just remember to stay out of it when they start.
    When our daughter is home to visit, the boys and me are on a countdown for the inevitable explosion.