Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Steak

What's your favorite?

How do you do it? And the Travis brisket method isn't an option :tongue:  

Cue the sous vide guys :sleepy:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments

• I recently switched from ribeyes to filets. So much better. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's
  • What's your favorite?

How do you do it? And the Travis brisket method isn't an option :tongue:  

Cue the sous vide guys :sleepy:

I am not a big fan of SV steak but it does produce perfectly cooked steaks. I prefer to sear first then finish raised indirect. I used to be all reverse sear but I find the steak really tightens up in the high heat sear. If you sear first, it tends to loosen up as it comes up to temp over low indirect heat. I just leave the dome open and let it get ripping hot. Then throw in the AR and choke it down to finish indirect. since the dome is open for the sear, the temp of the egg does not come up as much as it would if the dome were shut.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited December 2018
    I recently switched from ribeyes to filets. So much better. 
    Agree but, for the price per #
    Why stop there John? 
    😁

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • I recently switched from ribeyes to filets. So much better. 
    Secret life tip:  you can eat filet one day and ribeye on another
    True, but I like filets so much better. I don't know if I will ever go back to ribeyes. 

• g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Filet for me. Get the egg nice and hot and let the IT hit 125 and rest for 10 minutes. 
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I like them both.  Filets are good, tender, but missing the flavor from the fat ribeye's have.
    I typically reverse sear thicker sirloins.  Ribeyes have always been too fatty for me.  Strips and filets are awesome, but they are typically for special occasions.  

I know.  BORING!   But a little of Mickeys coffee rub, and they are awesome.  I slice it up and use it for lunches the rest of the week

LBGE since June 2012

Omaha, NE

• Husker those ribeyes look great. The ones I can get locally don't look like that. 

If I could get ribeyes that look like that I probably wouldn't have switched. 3 out of 4 times mine were tough. That 1 out of 4 times you would get good tender ribeyes. 

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Husker those ribeyes look great. The ones I can get locally don't look like that. 

If I could get ribeyes that look like that I probably wouldn't have switched. 3 out of 4 times mine were tough. That 1 out of 4 times you would get good tender ribeyes. 
    lol
  • I’m with @SaltySam. We prefer sirloins here at our house. I love ribeyes too, but sirloin has that nice beefy flavor (“steaky”), and my family doesn’t complain about that fat. Keeps the peace with my wife and I find them delicious too. Just have to keep them cooked under medium and the thicker the better. 
  • Favorite by order:
    1- bone in ribeye
    2- bacon wrapped fillets 
    3- porterhouse
    4- KC strip
    5- sirloins skewered as kabobs

All of the above cooked on XL to medium rare (reverse seared). All are aged Angus, dry aged 28 days and flash frozen.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Reverse sear a 2-1/2“ porterhouse.   I usually need someone to share it with and like to serve it in a 12“ cast iron skillet w butter, theme, rosemary, and roasted garlic 
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    edited December 2018
    Bone in rib eye hot and fast ...salt pepper garlic 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,830
    Filet or T-bone for me.  Forward sear for the reasons mentioned by Centex above.  And because I have a tendency to overcook them when I reverse sear them.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    edited December 2018
    Well marbled NY strip.

I do like filets, but for a desert island steak I would choose 1 - 1.5” thick strip.  Or a parking lot Texas wagyu flatiron when those can be had.

• "Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    We see seem to gravitate towards  New York strips in our house. Generally get them cut at 2.5 inches.  
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,646
    1) Ribeye
    2) Filet
    3) NY strip

i just get the egg to 600 or so and cook them hot and fast flipping often until medium.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    I just consumed a very tender melt in your mouth filet. Yummy! 

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,607
    Surprised nobody has said well done w/ketchup.  Everyone gun shy?
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Legume said:
    Peace out!!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • We're those 1/2 "ers reverse seared to crispy perfection ?
    LBGE, and just enough knowledge and gadgets to be dangerous .
    Buford,Ga.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    edited January 2019

Husker those ribeyes look great. The ones I can get locally don't look like that. 

John it's likely you can if you ask your butcher. However, these are prime cap of ribeye, dorsi cap or spinalis dorsi.  Price point will be close to your filets.

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    lkapigian said:
    Legume said:
    A couple prime rib eyes I did last month 

A little too much to drink?

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I love them all, Ribeyes are tops with Filets a close second. I have yet to have a tough ribeye from Costco. I usually buy a whole or 1/2 rib roast and cut them myself.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,750
    JRWhitee said:
    lkapigian said:
    Legume said:
    A couple prime rib eyes I did last month 

A little too much to drink?
    Slept right through it, but I did manage a clean burn at the same time
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    I always go for a ribeye, and Ynette loves her filets. So I always have to cook both. And while I can eat anything from black and blue to rare, she prefers medium rare to medium (and closer to medium). But I love her anyway! At least we don't argue about politics or wine.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.