Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

SMOBOT or NOT

Options
I've got about a year and a half under my belt with the LG. Seriously considering the SMOBOT so I can wander during longer cooks. I know I'd like top avoid a blower and such... Seems like the SMOBOT is the way to go. Thoughts? 
Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    If you want temp control but not a blower than the Smobot is your answer. I haven't seen a negative word about them on here.
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,476
    Options
    Thrilled with mine.
    You missed the boat, though; Santa's snoozing right now.  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    Are you by chance a single speeder @acolle?  
  • acolle
    acolle Posts: 133
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    I'm sure you are going to drop some Portland heat on me. I grew up on BMX. Currently mountain bike on a single speed. For sure out of the saddle more than I should be at my age. But I still love it. My other bikes are dirt jumpers and my big boy bike is a Husqva Enduro... And it has gears.
    Moved from upper left to Denver, CO | BGE LG & MMX + Kotaigrill [Hibachi]
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    edited December 2018
    Options
    acolle said:
    Cornholio said:
    I'm sure you are going to drop some Portland heat on me. I grew up on BMX. Currently mountain bike on a single speed. For sure out the saddle more than I should be at my age. But I still love it. My other bikes are dirt jumpers and my big boy bike is a Husqva Enduro... And is has gears.
     No heat at all, have a few riding buddies who are on single speeds most of the time.  I admire you crazy dudes, I’m on a 1x11 with a 28T up front and feel weak when I ride with them!  I just noticed your avatar.

I just bought my first BMX bike in a couple of decades last year to ride with my son while he is learning.  

Ok, sorry to go off topic.. happy trails and carry on. =)   
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I can't speak to the other options out there, but I appreciate the simplicity of the smobot and it has been accurate and reliable for me. I would definitely buy it again.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    I went through a phase of thinking I needed a contoller, but never bothered and am glad I didn't. I enjoy the manual control and the Egg holds a stable temperature anyway, so why add complexity?

Husky TE630 here.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    PM me. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Options
    Smobot is the way to go.  Feel free to PM me if you need details.  I have experience with a blower unit prior to my Smobot.  No comparison!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,096
    Options
    The Smobot and Egg work perfectly together. 
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Go Smo. I’m 69 years old and I rarely cooked overnight just because. If you like getting up every 2-3 hours don’t get one, otherwise Smobot for you. 
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    I love my Smobot - and some of the best customer service you will ever find!! 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    Ditto EVERY positive recommendation. I love it!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Breti
    Breti Posts: 9
    Options
    I used a blower model for a few years, but discovered what I think is a basic flaw: if something goes wrong with the unit during a cook (I've had batteries die and pit probe die) the fire goes out. Since the unit blocks the air intake, if it isn't blowing the egg starves for oxygen. I just got a SMOBOT and love it. It doesn't regulate or block air intake; it only regulates the Daisy wheel, which let's the egg cook add it was designed. And if it decides to stop working during a cook, the fire will keep burning and you'd just need to adjust manually, just as you would with the factory Daisy wheel. Having a free mobile app for SMOBOT means I'll know if something is wrong pretty quickly. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Breti said:
    I used a blower model for a few years, but discovered what I think is a basic flaw: if something goes wrong with the unit during a cook (I've had batteries die and pit probe die) the fire goes out. Since the unit blocks the air intake, if it isn't blowing the egg starves for oxygen. I just got a SMOBOT and love it. It doesn't regulate or block air intake; it only regulates the Daisy wheel, which let's the egg cook add it was designed. And if it decides to stop working during a cook, the fire will keep burning and you'd just need to adjust manually, just as you would with the factory Daisy wheel. Having a free mobile app for SMOBOT means I'll know if something is wrong pretty quickly. 
    The mobile app on the FB will alert you if it loses signal with the unit for more than a certain amount of time (whether it be a power loss, wifi loss, etc.)  Basically if the unit doesn't check with the server, then it will let you know.  It runs off AC or battery, and will revert to whatever its last known set point was if there's a temporary power loss.  You can have the AC and the battery on it at the same time, so that's the fail safe if you're that worried about it.

And as far as "blocking" the intake, the egg can pull air past the fan no problem for 225F.  You can set it up with the daisy wheel open, and use the fan just a backup to stoke.......or you can close the daisy wheel and use it to push the air through.  I always used to use it for natural flow with the fan as a backup.  I do it the other way now, since I can have the battery backup and get a text and app alert if it drops off the grid.

In the end, BOTH are electronic......which is good and bad.
  • Captnrontx
    Options
    I got a Smo-bot earlier this year and love it. However, curious how often other users clean the daisy wheel where creosote collects causing the wheel to stick. I’ve cleaned it once in 6 months using denatured alcohol.