Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Have any of you used pellets in your egg?

Options
Just did a quick search and didn’t really see anything addressing this topic. Have any of you used pellets as your wood source in the egg? I’ve seen posts about using them to cold smoke which totally makes sense but have any of you used them for a low and slow? If so what were the results? Is it more costly? We have a BBQs galore locally now that has about 12 different types of wood. They carry chunks, logs, chips, and pellets. Thinking about trying some different ones to see if they work well.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Go sparingly. They burn like a tire fire. Little goes a very long way. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    Wouldn’t they fall through your charcoal grate?
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    I sprinkled them over the top
    of burning lump. Didn’t notice that any fell through. If they did it was a good thing. Very billowy white smoke. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,779
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    of burning lump. Didn’t notice that any fell through. If they did it was a good thing. Very billowy white smoke. 
    I tossed some in my stick burner on top of a burning log, was a bad idea , it was almost black...had to keep the doors open till it burned off
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • GaBGE
    GaBGE Posts: 556
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I guess I misunderstood the original question. I now realize that @TEXASBGE2018 was referring to using pellets for smoke, I was thinking he was wanting to use them as his heat source as used in a pellet grill.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    So then maybe not the best idea?

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    A few times . I used to just drop a handful of pellets in the lump, but didn't like that not all of them burned and stayed in the egg for subsequent cooks.

Now I place some pellets in the Amazn (or however you spell it) tray and place it on top of the lump. Any unburned pellets are easy to remove as they stay put in the tray.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • littlerascal56
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    Did the same thing, and got the white smoke. I like light blue smoke.  Won’t do that again.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    GaBGE said:
    I tossed some in my stick burner on top of a burning log, was a bad idea , it was almost black...had to keep the doors open till it burned off
    I had the same experience in a bge. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    GaBGE said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I guess I misunderstood the original question. I now realize that @TEXASBGE2018 was referring to using pellets for smoke, I was thinking he was wanting to use them as his heat source as used in a pellet grill.
    Ah- then that would not work as you stated. Especially if you have a kick ash basket! 
  • toolndie7
    toolndie7 Posts: 26
    edited December 2018
    Options
    If your talking about wood stove pellets I may be wrong but those may contain chemicals that you don't want to be eating.
    Rhode Island
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    Same reason you don't use wood as a heat source for the egg. 

You can't control a wood fire well, especially to low temperatures, AND keep it burning clean. 

Charcoal is a comparatively refined fuel. Most of the stuff that creates smoke and creosote and so-called bad smoke is already gone when you open a bag of charcoal. So it burns clean

When you choke back a charcoal fire you get a little smoke. But it isn't a smoldering fire.you end up with fewer coals burning fully (cleanly)

But when you choke back a fire, it goes out. It doesn't make a smaller fire which is burning fully and cleanly. You get a big fire burning poorly. 

Good smoke vs bad smoke

The paradox: because charcoal is refined and produces much less so-called bad smoke, we sometimes add small amounts of wood to gain back a little smoke for flavor
  • st¡ke
    Options
    toolndie7 said:
    If your talking about wood stove pellets I may be wrong but those may contain chemicals that you don't want to be eating.
    Truth be told, charcoal itself also contains chemicals you don't want to eat. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Maybe I need to be more clear I was Implying that you would sprinkle them over the top of the hot charcoal as the smoke source not to be used as a heat source only. In other words you would use The pellets in place of wood chunks

• st¡ke
    Options
    They *are* wood chunks
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,216
    edited December 2018
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    toolndie7 said:
    I guess all of the millennial hipsters didn’t get the memo. 
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,810
    Options
    used to put the pellets in tin foil boats for low and slow turkeys, never noticed a problem. dont remember the brand but google traeger pellets, they cheat with the pellets adding things, not using the proper wood etc
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Many use them for cold smokes and some use them for smoking wood along with the lump. I’ve used them for the latter a couple times when I had no access to oak chunks for
    my brisket but had access to oak pellets. Worked fine for me. I would not consider them for the primary fuel source in your egg. 
  • st¡ke
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    toolndie7 said:
    Ignorance crosses generational lines

Less an age issue, more of a "don't think very much about things" issue. 
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Options
    Maybe I need to be more clear I was Implying that you would sprinkle them over the top of the hot charcoal as the smoke source not to be used as a heat source only. In other words you would use The pellets in place of wood chunks
    Trying to control the amount of smoke you want using pellets is difficult just tossing them over the top of your lump.
    Much easier to place 1-2 or 3 chunks of wood exactly where you want them after you have your fire lit and stabilized. For a quick cook I will place 1 chunk right in the hot spot and then start cooking. 
    For a low and slow I will place 1 in hot spot and 2 more in the burn path.
    This keeps a slower steady smoke for several hours. 
    It's also easy to spot and remove the partially burned chunks because I might not want smoke on my next cook. I normally just add fresh lump over the old lump for my next cook. Would never be able to dig out all the pellets.
    They do make cast iron and stainless pellet holders. I have one, used it once.
    Just simpler for me to add a chunk of wood or 2 when and where I want it.
    Just need to find the way that works best for you.
    BBQers Delight used to sell a sample pack (small bags) of about a dozen flavors for cheap. Looks like they only sell sample packs in 1 pound bags now.
    Buy a 1 pound bag of Cherry or Apple and see how you like using them.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • toolndie7
    Options
    st¡ke said:
    st¡ke said:
    toolndie7 said:

Forgive me for being such an ignorant 40 year old millenial hipster. I considered those wood stove pellets may, or may not have a binder or adhesive which is why I stated that I may be wrong. 
    Rhode Island
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    I dunno about stove pellets, but cooking pellets don't have anything added to them (can't speak for whatever is attached to the wood they grind up). 

The heat of compression turns the lignin in the wood into a binder.  Or something like that, i'd have to look up the chemical to be sure.
    Options
    I’ve done this for hot smoking salmon. Worked out really well. 

LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • st¡ke
    Options
    toolndie7 said:
    st¡ke said:
    st¡ke said:
    toolndie7 said:

Forgive me for being such an ignorant 40 year old millenial hipster. I considered those wood stove pellets may, or may not have a binder or adhesive which is why I stated that I may be wrong. 
    I wasn't talking about you

But no, they don't have adhesives or binders. 

• unoriginalusername
    unoriginalusername Posts: 1,065
    edited December 2018
    Options
    KAB with the divider allows me to put the pellet tube in and add more smoke. Works great