Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Christmas Rib Roast Advice

Options
I would like to get some expert advice on this since there is the added pressure to knock this out of the park for Christmas dinner. I have ordered a 5.5 lb Rib Roast (Prime) from a local butcher shop. In reading a couple other posts, I am second guessing the decision to pay the extra $4\pound for Prime instead of going with Choice. Is Prime better for this or am I just paying the extra money to have more fat that no one is going to eat? Also, I was going to do a reverse sear after cooking at 250. Any idea how long I should expect this to cook? What should my target temp be prior to starting the sear?

Thanks for any advice on this.

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

Comments

• dbennett561
    Options
    This is generally what I follow, I usually cook slow in over then sear on the egg.

Tampa, FL
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    $22? I would keep the order as-is.
    Keep unwrapped in the fridge from whenever you get it. Season when you get up and cook at your 225-250 temp.  Pull 6-8F below target finish temp.  Let rest at least 20 mins. Without looking at the links others will supply, I would guess 90-100 mins ballpark. Loosely tent if you are ahead of schedule and need a longer rest, but only AFTER the temp stops rising. Reverse sear if you need to, but I never do.  Have long tongs ready for the fireball you will have with a PR reverse sear. 

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    It will be delicious, nothing wrong with going prime IMO.  “Prime rib” is thrown around a lot when many cuts are choice or below.  The fact that you’ll be serving legit prime rib is not a bad thing, enjoy it!  

BTW, I am going to be doing my first rib roast for Christmas Eve so I’m watching this thread now as well.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    The prime part is a personal taste. I find it fatty but others find it perfect. I remove or have removed the rib rack. I then use my seasoning over the whole roast and then tie the rib rack back on. After the long smoke I then remove the rack again for the final sear. I purchased grill grates after doing my first couple because the flare up is near unmanageable. Good luck. That rib rack will make the very best beef broth you’ve ever had. 
  • Blassiter
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    That rib rack will make the very best beef broth you’ve ever had. 
    Beef broth? Can you expand on this?

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Blassiter said:
    GrillSgt said:
    That rib rack will make the very best beef broth you’ve ever had. 
    Beef broth? Can you expand on this?
    I think he is referencing AuJus. Run a search, I believe @RRP has a solution well documented and proven....or it may be time for him to repost for everyone's benefit. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GrillSgt
    edited December 2018
    Options
    No actually I was talking about broth. I make a blue cheese sauce and a horseradish sauce to accompany the prime rib. 

For the broth I simmer the bones with meat with mirepoix (2-3 med onions, 2 large stalks of celery, 2 large carrots, head of garlic (just cut it in half), bay leaf, and peppercorns for a couple of hours. I recommend using a good commercial beef broth instead of water as it adds a remarkable amount of depth. I then strain the liquid and put the bones in the oven at 375ish to roast until they are a nice dark brown (45 mins or so). Then back to the broth for a couple more hours of gentle simmer. The second simmer is when I add the salt to taste. I find it important to never boil and not to go past the gentle simmer for texture, boiling leaves it gelatinous.
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    GrillSgt said:
    No actually I was talking about broth. I make a blue cheese sauce and a horseradish sauce to accompany the prime rib. 

For the broth I simmer the bones with meat with mirepoix (2-3 med onions, 2 large stalks of celery, 2 large carrots, head of garlic (just cut it in half), bay leaf, and peppercorns for a couple of hours. I recommend using a good commercial beef broth instead of water as it adds a remarkable amount of depth. I then strain the liquid and put the bones in the oven at 375ish to roast until they are a nice dark brown (45 mins or so). Then back to the broth for a couple more hours of gentle simmer. The second simmer is when I add the salt to taste. I find it important to never boil and not to go past the gentle simmer for texture, boiling leaves it gelatinous.
    My bad. =)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I think I'm going to do prime rib this year. First time ever. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Dyal_SC said:
    Mom always did it just the opposite. Nuclear hot to start, Coast low and slow to the finish. It was always awesome. 

When I do mine on the Egg, I roast indirect at 350* or so until 120* internal, then shut the Egg down for 30 minutes more. Then it comes off and rests another 30 minutes prior to carving. Always a perfect medium rare with an amazing crust. I apply a prime rib rub in advance and let the roast sit in the fridge at least three or four days. This year I’m going two weeks to dry age it a bit. 
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    It cooks much faster than Time and temp guides in my experience fwiw
  • Blassiter
    Options
    Thanks for all the great advice. I will be sure to post pictures of the final product. Merry Christmas!

LBGE - 2/12/2015

Chesapeake, VA

• Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Dyal_SC said:
    Mom always did it just the opposite. Nuclear hot to start, Coast low and slow to the finish. It was always awesome. 

When I do mine on the Egg, I roast indirect at 350* or so until 120* internal, then shut the Egg down for 30 minutes more. Then it comes off and rests another 30 minutes prior to carving. Always a perfect medium rare with an amazing crust. I apply a prime rib rub in advance and let the roast sit in the fridge at least three or four days. This year I’m going two weeks to dry age it a bit. 
    @Teefus, I'm surprised that doesn't overcook it a fair amount.  When I just pull one off at 120 it rises to 125-127.  And the egg doesn't really cool down when you shut it down - so that's like 30 more minutes at 300+ degrees.  Have you ever measured the temp after you pull it off?

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Stoogie
    Stoogie Posts: 173
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    Teefus said:
    Dyal_SC said:

@Teefus, I'm surprised that doesn't overcook it a fair amount.  When I just pull one off at 120 it rises to 125-127.  And the egg doesn't really cool down when you shut it down - so that's like 30 more minutes at 300+ degrees.  Have you ever measured the temp after you pull it off?
    Long before I bought my LBGE, I would do the same in my oven.  It's called the "no peek" roast.  I'd have the oven to 450*, put the roast in there for "X" many minutes, depending upon how large the roast was, then shut the oven off.  I'd have a probe in it and when it read 120* I'd take it out and let it sit for a few more minutes.

Now that I have my Egg, I prefer the reverse sear because the meat is more uniform in its done-ness.  

I've never tried what @Teefus has done, but I wouldn't be surprised if it works just fine.  
    Large BGE

Neenah, WI
  • st¡ke
    st¡ke Posts: 276
    Options
    This can be the easiest cook on the BGE.

For me, the easiest and most consistent results with a roast are to go low, about 225-250 or so, and let it cook gently until it hits your desired internal temperature.  There will be minimal carryover (you do not foil a resting roast, just let it stand on the ribs on the cutting board).

All of which means: no sear at the start or end.  You'll have a better and browner mahogany brown crust, with no blackening and, if you have an herb crust or rub on it, you won't mess that up manhandling the roast around with tongs or rolling it in the grate during a "sear". 

I'd ask what the sear is meant to achieve.  If it is a crust, well, it's not necessary to sear for that. And it can actually damage a crust (rub etc.).

If it is for show, that's fine too. Guys outside, spiking the BGE to temp, and playing with fire. All good.

But after doing these off and on for many years, I have settled into putting the meat on in advance of the crowd arriving. We futz around in the kitchen, and hang out with guests when they arrive, and the roast just cruises, no tending.

Take it off when it is about 5-10 degrees shy.  I don't usually get much carryover at the lower roasting temperature.  Let stand while everything else is coming together, and then eat.

Trying a sear once, I found a lot of flare up (rib eye is fatty), blackening, and not much added to the crust.  In fact it disturbed the crust, and gave it grid marks. It can even soften the crust, if the fat starts to moisten up due to water being forced out under the higher heat. Worst was early on, one of my first rib eye cooks, where the added heat at the end drove carryover way past med rare.

Big fan of keeping it simple.  It'll still be memorable no matter what you do.  I just vote for simple.

Biggest tip: Let it dry a couple days at least uncovered in the refrigerator.  That helps the crust too.  Dry fat is what browns, and a fresh (not air-dried) roast won't brown until the surface dries off anyway (in the egg).  Give it a head start
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Food for thought:

Ozersky is sadly missed.  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,776
    Options
    st¡ke said:

For me, the easiest and most consistent results with a roast are to go low, about 225-250 or so, and let it cook gently until it hits your desired internal temperature.  There will be minimal carryover (you do not foil a resting roast, just let it stand on the ribs on the cutting board).

All of which means: no sear at the start or end.  You'll have a better and browner mahogany brown crust, with no blackening and, if you have an herb crust or rub on it, you won't mess that up manhandling the roast around with tongs or rolling it in the grate during a "sear". 

I'd ask what the sear is meant to achieve.  If it is a crust, well, it's not necessary to sear for that. And it can actually damage a crust (rub etc.).

If it is for show, that's fine too. Guys outside, spiking the BGE to temp, and playing with fire. All good.

But after doing these off and on for many years, I have settled into putting the meat on in advance of the crowd arriving. We futz around in the kitchen, and hang out with guests when they arrive, and the roast just cruises, no tending.

Take it off when it is about 5-10 degrees shy.  I don't usually get much carryover at the lower roasting temperature.  Let stand while everything else is coming together, and then eat.

Trying a sear once, I found a lot of flare up (rib eye is fatty), blackening, and not much added to the crust.  In fact it disturbed the crust, and gave it grid marks. It can even soften the crust, if the fat starts to moisten up due to water being forced out under the higher heat. Worst was early on, one of my first rib eye cooks, where the added heat at the end drove carryover way past med rare.

Big fan of keeping it simple.  It'll still be memorable no matter what you do.  I just vote for simple.

Biggest tip: Let it dry a couple days at least uncovered in the refrigerator.  That helps the crust too.  Dry fat is what browns, and a fresh (not air-dried) roast won't brown until the surface dries off anyway (in the egg).  Give it a head start
    how do you keep the helpful people from putting foil on it =) every single friggin time

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Use grill grates for flare up issues and they are big issues with this.
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,846
    Options
    st¡ke said:

This.

Every bit of it.

I cook for a pretty discerning crowd at Christmas.  Some in the hotel/restaurant industry.  One grew up working in a butcher shop and is an egghead.  One is a foodie who makes some of the best sausage and beer I've ever tasted.  They all agreed that the prime rib I cook this way is superior to any prime rib I've ever seared - reverse or otherwise.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Foghorn said:
    st¡ke said:

This.

Every bit of it.

I cook for a pretty discerning crowd at Christmas.  Some in the hotel/restaurant industry.  One grew up working in a butcher shop and is an egghead.  One is a foodie who makes some of the best sausage and beer I've ever tasted.  They all agreed that the prime rib I cook this way is superior to any prime rib I've ever seared - reverse or otherwise.
    Hmmm. This has me questioning my approach for next week. Maybe I'll get another roast and do comparison cooks?
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,393
    Options
    @Teefus - nothing wrong with great beef practice cooks...unless you get into beef protein food coma before the main event.  
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • ColbyLang
    ColbyLang Posts: 3,431
    Options
    I started a thread with a question on the same cut of beef but doing it sous Vide versus low and slow. How long does a 7-10# roast take to get to 130-135? Gonna have more eaters towards the medium versus medium rare. 4 hours or so on the BGe is better than the 8 hours in the water bath in my opinion, especially on Xmas day 
  • GrillSgt
    Options
    Great looking cook MikeDV. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    I am cooking my first Boneless Prime Rib on XMAS Day. Plan on using the reverse sear method as well.
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Got mine today......10.25#, gonna trim about 1/3 off into individual steaks for later. 
  • ColbyLang
    Options
    Any seasoning advice? Saw one post with olive oil, fresh garlic and parsley. Could also do kosher salt, fresh black pepper and a little bit of garlic powder. 
  • Can anyone ballpark how long it would take to reach 120-130 internal temp at around 250 indirect?  Based on the post by @MikeDV, it's looking like around 20 min per pound.  Thanks!
    Richard
    large BGE, Birmingham, AL