Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

This showed up in the mail today from the Netherlands...

Many moons ago my wife’s Air Force family was stationed in Holland. Their next door neighbors at the time had a 16 yr old son that babysat her when she was a little one. He has gone on to be quite the cook and is big in the bbq comp circuit. He was over here recently at the Jack Daniel’s world championship and he decided to hook up with the wife’s parents in Huntsville, Alabama.  Of course my wife had to ride up during the visit and she mentioned the green egg and one thing led to another and he ends up sending all this rub and sauce...
Looking forward to giving some of these a shot. 

Wetumpka, Alabama
LBGE and MM

Comments

• Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Very cool way to reconnect. Enjoy
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Nice haul. BBQers are good people the world over. 
  • This is great!
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Very generous gesture. 

Would love to hear how those rubs taste compared to what is used/available here .

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    +1
    That's really cool. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited December 2018
    Nice haul! I have a niece who has lived in the Netharlands for over 20 years where she has taught high school English at an "English spoken" school for American business families living abroad. 

Until she recently got married she lived quite close to a butcher shop which was also a BGE dealer.

2 or 3 years ago she gifted us with BGE sanctioned products such a deck of cards, corn cob holders and a couple other nice gifts. I have laughed thinking how these gifts were ordered from BGE corporate in Atlanta, produced in China, shipped to Holland and then hand delivered clear back to us in Illinois! 

Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,168
    Great story and thoughtful gifts right there.  As above, would be interested in your take on the flavour profiles. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    very cool!  curious on flavor profiles.  being an ignorant 'merican I just assumed BBQ was only here.  learn something new everyday.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    edited December 2018
    very cool!  curious on flavor profiles.  being an ignorant 'merican I just assumed BBQ was only here.  learn something new everyday.

@Ozzie_Isaac  you might be interested in checking out this youtuber.  He's from the Netherlands, and is one of my goto.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQpitmasterx/videos

@gonepostal that's about one of the coolest gifts I could think of.  Hope you report back on how different / similar things are.

Phoenix 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,943
    blasting said:

@Ozzie_Isaac  you might be interested in checking out this youtuber.  He's from the Netherlands, and is one of my goto.
    https://www.youtube.com/user/BBQpitmasterx/videos

@gonepostal that's about one of the coolest gifts I could think of.  Hope you report back on how different / similar things are.

Those videos are cool!  Thanks for the link.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    edited December 2018
    BBQ seems to be growing in popularity in Europe in recent years. In the last 2 or 3 years I've added about a half dozen bbq cookbooks written by folks in the EU/UK to my library.
    A Swedish fellow I know from another forum built his own American style offset smoker and then released a cookbook and a line of a couple of rubs last year. His book was originally just released in Swedish and was meant to provide an intro to American style bbq for his countrymen. He also released an English version of his cookbook a couple of months later.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Very cool!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • When I was at Eggtoberfest this year, one of the highlights for me was listening to the European BBQ cooks talks about what they did. They explained that many of us are really provincial in our attitude, thinking that American style BBQ is the only style. In fact, each country has its own interpretation, often very different from ours, and usually just wonderful. Tasting some of what they did that day certainly made a believer out of me.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • XC242
    XC242 Posts: 1,208
    That’s way cool!!
    LBGE (still waitin' for my free T-Shirt), DIgiQ DX2 (In Blue, cause it's the fastest), Heavy Duty Kick Ash Basket, Mc Farland, WI. :glasses:  B)
    If it wasn't for my BGE I'd have no use for my backyard...
  • Sweet! That is a nice collection.
    Stillwater, MN
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,708
    Way Kewl!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Awesome man!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    That's a whole lotta rub!  Enjoy!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Vey cool

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Very cool and nice haul! 
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Thanks guys. Hopefully i'll get the chance to thank him personally one of these days. After all that rub rolled in the other day i had to find out more about this guy. My wife says that he owns a sausage factory back home and plans to come to the states a few times a year to produce some over here. And it sounds like he is very involved in the manufacturing of some of the rubs that we were gifted. Hoping to cook a little bit this weekend and will try to follow up with any interesting flavor experiences...

Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • gonepostal
    gonepostal Posts: 711
    Following up after several months. For starters...I have too many rubs and sauces. Have used a little here and there on pork chops and a small brisket cook. Finally devoted a butt cook with 100% of the rub with the stuff I got from the Netherlands. 
    I think it had really good color but I picked up a very unfamiliar sweetness. I’m not sure what this is and I haven’t had a chance to meet him yet and talk to him about them. I still haven’t tried everything in the box but the thing that jumps out at me the most with trying the pork and beef rubs is the sweetness. These guys seem to be killing it lately on the competition trail so I really hope we cross paths one of these days to pick up a few tips.
    Wetumpka, Alabama
    LBGE and MM
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,136
    I’ve been to the Netherlands! 

.... they tell me I had a great time....

VERY well done!
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• mahenryak
    mahenryak Posts: 1,324

"That **** looks as good as Gold to me!!" 

Very nice!
    LG BGE, KJ Jr, Smokin Bros. Premier 36 and Pizza Party Bollore

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,849
    As they will tell you, often;  'If it ain't Dutch,  it ain't much'.    
    Good fun the 'Cloggers' and peculiarly tall.  I worked with a bunch of them for a few years.
    Great economy with words. Will tell you exactly what they think in as few words as possible - usually don't even need to wait to ask for that opinion either.  
    I learnt many new phrases;
    'He has the wet lip'.  'Put your cow in another ditch'.  'He has the hard elbows'.  'He has a brown arm'.    I never trusted the meaning I was given on the basis that my mates invariably wanted me to use them in hilariously inappropriate ways. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    CPFC1905 said:
    As they will tell you, often;  'If it ain't Dutch,  it ain't much'.    
    Good fun the 'Cloggers' and peculiarly tall.  I worked with a bunch of them for a few years.
    Great economy with words. Will tell you exactly what they think in as few words as possible - usually don't even need to wait to ask for that opinion either.  
    I learnt many new phrases;
    'He has the wet lip'.  'Put your cow in another ditch'.  'He has the hard elbows'.  'He has a brown arm'.    I never trusted the meaning I was given on the basis that my mates invariably wanted me to use them in hilariously inappropriate ways. 
    How’s it going with you?
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • tonyled
    tonyled Posts: 536
    i lived in the netherlands a few years and miss it daily