Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

chickfila

Options

Comments

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    Legume said:
    Botch said:
    Legume said:
    If I have to wait in line to order on an iPad, can’t I just order and pay on my phone from the luxurious comfort of a table in McD’s?  Or from my car?
    I thought they already did this, thought there was a couple parking spots for "Online Order Pickup".  I grab a Sausage Biscuit about once a month, the morning I ran out of my usual breakfast items; I bypass the iPad because I pay with cash (Luddite!!) and won't stand in TWO lines.  They've always accommodated me.  
    They might, I don’t know.  I won’t even drive near one because of the germs.  =)
    I still use cash, so there's no hope for me; run, save yourself!  :lol:  ;)

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,029
    Options
    dmchicago said:
    So all those germs on your sleeve don’t bother you?

Why would they?

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options

Chick-Fil-A is very expensive. A cup of water costs 1 million dollars. Ask this dipsh!t. https://abcnews.go.com/Business/cfo-food-stamps-controversial-viral-video/story?id=29533695
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have been eating at restaurants all my life. Nice ones and not so nice. I open doors without protection. I push the start button on those AWFUL air dryers in the rest rooms with my bare hands most of the time, I sit at their tables, touch their chairs, handle my change after paying (Lord knows where that's been), etc. The list goes on. I even shake hands with people, sometimes total strangers!!! All sorts of nasty habits. 

When I was in college, I used to go to a pool hall that also served BBQ. NC Sanitation Grade C. (I think a D meant you got shut down.) Once, I got halfway thru my sandwich and discovered a used Band-Aid in it! I honestly don't remember whether or not I finished the sammich, but at that point, I might as well have. I know I didn't eat the Band-Aid though. =)

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, I have not died or had any illness, catastrophic or otherwise, a result of my devil may care attitude. And no food poisoning.

These days, snowflakes are everywhere!

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    All this Chick-fil-A speak got me thinking about fried chicken. Just got a new Joule so I made SV Fried chicken (it was awesome). My son wanted honey mustard “like Chick-fil-A “ so we doctored some up with Dijon and local honey. He said it was good so I’ll take his word for it (never had their sauces).

We were joking around about this thread and talking about how eating at Chick-fil-A was giving them money to support causes we may not prefer to support (we are not boycotters for that stuff and we eat at Chick-fil-A whenever we want). He said “I’ve learned to support the art even if I don’t support the artist”. I almost fell out of my chair. He’s 19. Funny stuff. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    I have been eating at restaurants all my life. Nice ones and not so nice. I open doors without protection. I push the start button on those AWFUL air dryers in the rest rooms with my bare hands most of the time, I sit at their tables, touch their chairs, handle my change after paying (Lord knows where that's been), etc. The list goes on. I even shake hands with people, sometimes total strangers!!! All sorts of nasty habits. 

When I was in college, I used to go to a pool hall that also served BBQ. NC Sanitation Grade C. (I think a D meant you got shut down.) Once, I got halfway thru my sandwich and discovered a used Band-Aid in it! I honestly don't remember whether or not I finished the sammich, but at that point, I might as well have. I know I didn't eat the Band-Aid though. =)

Anyway, to the best of my knowledge, I have not died or had any illness, catastrophic or otherwise, a result of my devil may care attitude. And no food poisoning.

Theoretically if they push the button on the dryer they washed their hands sayin
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• theyolksonyou
    Options

Theoretically if they push the button on the dryer they washed their hands sayin
    Those things spray fecal matter, saying.  Saw it in the net, must be true. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Hot aerosolized feces. Mmmmmm. 

This is true by by the way. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options

Tastes like chicken.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • BGEChicago
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    st¡ke said:
    At the chick-fil-a next town over I've noticed a truism. People who use the drive thru are almost aways even fatter than the people who park and go inside. 

Same for all fat-food places (not a typo). I have seen a line of a dozen cars around a McDonald's, while the parking lot is empty. 

That's just giving up, really. 

The closest fast food place to my work is McDonald's. They just finished remodeling it. Guess how they want you to order it when inside? With an I-Pad. You have to wait in line to use an I-Pad. Yes, place your own order. You know how many other people just touched that I-Pad right before you get your food? I don't want to go inside and wait to order my food from an I-Pad. I'm not expecting much from their food from the start but at least give me an employee to take my order when coming inside. I would have gone through the drive through otherwise. I'll wait in the drive through over a fake I-Pad employee inside any day. (I haven't gone back since)
    I'm in sales and some of my customers are QSR's (quick service restaurants) one of the biggest reasons (and something they won't tell you) is that "technology ordering" via kiosk or iPad is that the guest will order more. I know this sounds weird but people feel bad about ordering extra large when doing so in person, with technology ordering, no remorse needed when ordering a big mac and supersizing all the sides. 

The return on investment can be as high as 20% per QSR location, that being larger order (size of product) and numbers of items sold per order.  
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    st¡ke said:
    At the chick-fil-a next town over I've noticed a truism. People who use the drive thru are almost aways even fatter than the people who park and go inside. 

Same for all fat-food places (not a typo). I have seen a line of a dozen cars around a McDonald's, while the parking lot is empty. 

The closest fast food place to my work is McDonald's. They just finished remodeling it. Guess how they want you to order it when inside? With an I-Pad. You have to wait in line to use an I-Pad. Yes, place your own order. You know how many other people just touched that I-Pad right before you get your food? I don't want to go inside and wait to order my food from an I-Pad. I'm not expecting much from their food from the start but at least give me an employee to take my order when coming inside. I would have gone through the drive through otherwise. I'll wait in the drive through over a fake I-Pad employee inside any day. (I haven't gone back since)
    I'm in sales and some of my customers are QSR's (quick service restaurants) one of the biggest reasons (and something they won't tell you) is that "technology ordering" via kiosk or iPad is that the guest will order more. I know this sounds weird but people feel bad about ordering extra large when doing so in person, with technology ordering, no remorse needed when ordering a big mac and supersizing all the sides. 

The return on investment can be as high as 20% per QSR location, that being larger order (size of product) and numbers of items sold per order.  
    Do folks in the drive-through also tend to order more than those who come inside?  I mean without the ipads of course.  I’m just wondering if they stay in their cars out of personal shame.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    st¡ke said:

I believe the main reason for the screens is to have less employees, but I would imagine some people would order more with the screen. 
    I find it funny when someone in line is obviously ordering food for several people, and orders nothing to drink, and the kid asks "is that for here, or to go?"

An example of the opposite of ordering more with the screen, I believe Tiger would have only ordered one item if the store had a screen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Tlob3U_1o
  • Botch
    Options

I've always felt that, the more you "avoid" germs, and apply gels, and wash your hands, etc, the weaker your own immune system becomes.
    Yeah, there's the "ick" factor in almost everything, when you think about it.  The older I get, the more I try Not to think about it.  

• BGEChicago
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    st¡ke said:

Do folks in the drive-through also tend to order more than those who come inside?  I mean without the ipads of course.  I’m just wondering if they stay in their cars out of personal shame.
    Those statistics I'm not sure about. I work for a company that started in the barcode reading industry but in addition to that that we are moving more to image recognition, I can't speak about the Amazon store but we may have a hand in this: https://www.amazon.com/b?ie=UTF8&node=16008589011

• BGEChicago
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    st¡ke said:

I believe the main reason for the screens is to have less employees, but I would imagine some people would order more with the screen. 
    I find it funny when someone in line is obviously ordering food for several people, and orders nothing to drink, and the kid asks "is that for here, or to go?"

An example of the opposite of ordering more with the screen, I believe Tiger would have only ordered one item if the store had a screen.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4Tlob3U_1o
    Yep... More cooks in the kitchen and less cashiers, actually with McDonalds the employee count does not go down but the employee productivity went up tremendously. You have to understand, with a brand that large any change above 5% is a game changer equaling millions across the board. I have a friend that is pretty high up there, I asked "why don't you serve organic egg" his response was " because we would drain the market" it's pretty amazing the numbers they put on the board.   
  • SemolinaPilchard
    Options
    @BGEChicago one time I was in Vegas and while speaking with the concierge I asked him if we could have some brighter light bulbs so we could read something without having to hold it right near the lamp (this was just before the efficient light bulbs came out). He took care of it, but thinking about it later, if every hotel room in Vegas had 75 watt bulbs or higher in every lamp, that would be a big draw on the system. So yeah, if McDonald's went organic, that would be a problem. But look at most of the people in line at McDonald's, I don't believe they are looking for healthy food.
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    The net of this is that if a job can be automated, it will be. It is happening in IT at a rapid pace currently. I often quip that if you aren't doing automation, you will be automated out of a job.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2018
    Options
    DMW said:
    The net of this is that if a job can be automated, it will be. It is happening in IT at a rapid pace currently. I often quip that if you aren't doing automation, you will be automated out of a job.
    You are absolutely correct brother D. They have brought automation and robotics to things that wasn’t even considered in the realm of possibility just a few years ago. 
    A triple head automatic MIG head on 42 inch pipe. It’s actually capable of running up to 5 heads if needed. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• BGEChicago
    Options
    @SemolinaPilchard I couldn't agree more,my wife  and daughter loves home-cooked healthy meals, my son on the other hand is a real picky eater "junk food only" he kills me every time, if it's not fried, or a pizza or breaded he will go for days without eating, I' m at my wits end ! It really bothers me..sorry for the rant... 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    It’s Monday. Chic-fil-a is open today. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    They closed our location for "remodeling".  Drove by and it's gone!  Their definition of "remodeling" is tear the sucker down and rebuild from the ground up.  Did not expect that.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    I'm not overweight but sometimes the drive-through is the best option. Many times there is a line out the door or a line snaking around the tables. In addition, there is no place to sit.

Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    just went again to try the drivethru line... NEVER DOING THAT AGAIN
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    I think the first thing to do is lower your expectations a little. I think Chick is really good for fast food, but it is often over-hyped so peoples expectations are too high. I also think it is just not as good in the north because you yankees aren't as adept at frying.

I would just start with a regular Chick-fil-a sandwich and fries (the #1 meal). Ask for 1 of each dipping sauce. The "Chick-fil-a" sauce is good to dip fries in. 
    I say the same for those that have never had In-N-Out. It is a really good and cheap fast food meal. There are definitely better burgers, but for the price and freshness it is hard to beat. 
    Yep, it always irks me when people expect In-N-Out to compete with places that charge $10 for a burger alone.  Five Guys is considered fast food but a burger there costs as much if not more than a full Double Double meal.  

Growing up in So Cal meant In-N-Out was a staple and regular spot for fast food.  The lines aren’t as long as people exaggerate about and for the competition (less than $10 for a full meal) it’s a no brainer to prefer In-N-Out over McD’s or Bugger King.  And what the heck is up with Carl’s Jr.?  A regular Western Bacon Cheeseburger is now close to $6 and they had that whole $6 burger mocking campaign for awhile.   
  • Botch
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    And what the heck is up with Carl’s Jr.?  A regular Western Bacon Cheeseburger is now close to $6 and they had that whole $6 burger mocking campaign for awhile.   
    Hey son, I'm old enough to remember how "Motel 6" originally got their name; $5.99/night! And gas for $0.24/gallon (saw it during a price war for $0.19, once!!)   ;)

• Teefus
    Teefus Posts: 1,208
    Options
    Chic-Fil-A is awesome. I think they blew it when they discontinued their slaw though.
    Michiana, South of the border.
  • CigarCityEgger
    Options
    There’s a promo in town for a free chicken sandwich every time the Lightning win through their mobile app. Since we won last night I know what I’m having for lunch! Chik-fil-a sauce and Polynesian sauce is where it’s at. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Teefus said:
    Chic-Fil-A is awesome. I think they blew it when they discontinued their slaw though.
    I would purchase their slaw to make slaw dogs at my tailgates. I have been depressed for several years now. KFC does not make it right.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,772
    Options
    is this the slaw recipe,  thats not a hard one to make if you like that style

fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it