Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Sous Vide Fried Chicken

Options
13»

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ok we are sold.  Will put this in next weeks rotation.  
    BTW we marinated, then sous vide a shirt steak and  seared on egg and it beat the non sous vide one that was just marinated.   
    i think you’ll be happy. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

jeffwit said:
    Just started the process for dinner tonight. I’ve never fried chicken before, so wish me luck. 
    Nice! post your results for us. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

We tried this a couple of days ago, and we were amazed at the goodness.  Thanks for posting this method!
    Glad you liked it. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

DMW said:
    Yep, it works great for chicken fried pork chops.

I went with 140* for the chops, I think next time I'll go with 130*.
    That looks awesome. I agree on the lower temp. Makes for a very nice texture that you can’t get in fried foods any other way. 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Dang- I might need a nap after just looking at that plate. That is some awesome comfort food. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Dang- I might need a nap after just looking at that plate. That is some awesome comfort food. 
    My low carb diet has come to a screeching halt. Back in the wagon next week. I am sinking into the couch as we speak. 

Go Cowboys! 
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    I had my first real cheat meal in like 5 months yesterday. Steak and cheese and fries- 

Making ribs today and didn’t have sugar free bbq sauce- so will have to get back to it Monday as well. 

I’ve hit my target but really feel better with the reduced carbs. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Smoker317
    Options
    Sounds and looks amazing!!!
    Egghead since November 2014, XL-BGE & ET-732
    Smobot
    Living near Indy
    36" Blackstone
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Smoker317 said:
    Sounds and looks amazing!!!
    It’s easy to make and really good. 
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Awesome, I need to try this. Also, welcome to the Joule club - I’m a big fan
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • MNEggerandStuff
    Options
    I just might halve to try boiling me some meat after all!
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    Options
    Like !been eating to try SV Fried Chicken 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Awesome, I need to try this. Also, welcome to the Joule club - I’m a big fan
    I was a hater of having to have another device to run my SV so I was stubborn about getting one. I was wrong- it’s awesome. It’s tiny too. Love that. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Damn that looks awesome. I have resisted an SV setup but no longer. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

@The Cen-Tex Smoker  That's some good looking comfort food.  I see that I've bookmarked this thread a long time ago.  Time to give this a whirl.

Phoenix 
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    Just got a new Joule and decided to try this again today. Dry brined pasture raised breasts (I deboned them and left the skin on) and dried over night in the fridge. SV at 149 for 2 hours, then dredged in Cholula buttermilk and seasoned flour. In the oil at 400 until crispy. Served over homemade mashed potatoes with Cholula gravy. Super fun and very tasty!

cholula buttermilk  

Cut the sv breasts in half before the dredge 

Yum:

Very cool and very legal!
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

That looks darn good!

Have you tried adding a bit of rice flour? It amped up the crunch when I made Korean fried chicken wings.

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    caliking said:

That looks darn good!

Have you tried adding a bit of rice flour? It amped up the crunch when I made Korean fried chicken wings.

I haven’t but will next time. I did double dredge a few pieces and that did add quite a bit of crunch to those. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,842
    Options
    DMW said:
    Yep, it works great for chicken fried pork chops.

I went with 140* for the chops, I think next time I'll go with 130*.
    My mom used to do something similar with pork chops.  But I think she cooked to an internal temp of 230.  I didn't know they came any other way.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    DMW said:
    @johnnyp - Some of the fry oil, seasoned (salt, Aleppo pepper, paprika) flour from the dredging, bag juices from the chops, and milk.
    What is Aleppo?
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95