Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

A-maze-N-Smoker Tutorial

Options

Comments

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    caliking said:
    Neighbor's yappy dog?
    Neighbor's dogs are actually pretty well behaved. Other neighbor feeds a few feral cats and now they have taken to pooping in our front flower beds. I would love to do something incendiary to those felines...
     Are you saying you want to smoke a cat? 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    I have the round tube version. Cold smoking and adding more smoke to my electric smoker is what I got it for. Amazon sells combo packs of wood pellets so its easy to experiment with different smokes.

Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I considered what you suggest, but I was concerned that it would be hard here in Florida to keep the temperature down enough if I put the smoke tray inside the Bradley. I've already ordered the Bradley cold smoke attachment and it will be here on Tuesday. I'll be looking for your advice on smoking the bacon. I'm really looking forward to smoking the bacon and some scotch whiskey marinated salmon. Thanks for your help.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • BobDanger
    Options
    Well everytime I come here I find something new I need...just ordered one as well.

Its stupid cold here so I might as well try cold smoking. 
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    I always use the pitmaster blend pellets I get a rural king in my amazen smoker tray. I think its 4 different woods

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    question for @The Cen-Tex Smoker can you go more in depth in this cold smoking thing.  i have some time off around the holidays and might give this a try if santa brings me the right tools?  i typically do the bacon in a cure for a week, rinse and then smoke at 200 until the meat is at 150 IT and then vacuum seal for 2 weeks.  curious if this is better or worse.
    Im on a plane at the moment but I’ll be glad to share what I know. Im all cold smoke when it comes to bacon and I do it all with the AMS either in a BGE or my KBQ if I need more room. . 
    awesome thank you, when you have time if you want to drop me a message i would appreciate it.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• DFW
    DFW Posts: 208
    Options
    and now I'm buying an amazin smoker...
    Arlington, TX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:
    question for @The Cen-Tex Smoker can you go more in depth in this cold smoking thing.  i have some time off around the holidays and might give this a try if santa brings me the right tools?  i typically do the bacon in a cure for a week, rinse and then smoke at 200 until the meat is at 150 IT and then vacuum seal for 2 weeks.  curious if this is better or worse.
    Im on a plane at the moment but I’ll be glad to share what I know. Im all cold smoke when it comes to bacon and I do it all with the AMS either in a BGE or my KBQ if I need more room. . 
    awesome thank you, when you have time if you want to drop me a message i would appreciate it.
    when I make bacon and use the BGE to smoke it, I clean out all the lump and put the AMS down in the fire box. I have an adjustable rig so I put in an stone and 1 or 2 racks of cured belly. I use the stone to mix the smoke a little and to shield the belly from what little heat the AMS gives off. Light it and it runs 14 hours overnight. Bottom is wide open, Smokeware cap is either off or wide open if raining. I Use Traeger apple wood pellets; I found the AMS pellets tended to go out more than Traeger. I'll probably buy fancy pellets next time that use 100% wood for the flavor- Traeger uses a base wood and flavored oils to flavor their pellets. I like the quality of the smoke but I'm all about using real ingredients so I'll likely change it up when I'm ready to buy more. I bought 20# of Apple pellets last time and that is a lifetime supply. 

It's really simple and cold smoke bacon blows hot smoked away. I would prefer to get the smoke from a clean burning wood fire pumped into a cold smoke chamber but even I have limits on what I'm willing to do. I can say that this method produces the best bacon I've ever had. Way better than any store bought; even the fancy stuff. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:
    when I make bacon and use the BGE to smoke it, I clean out all the lump and put the AMS down in the fire box. I have an adjustable rig so I put in an stone and 1 or 2 racks of cured belly. I use the stone to mix the smoke a little and to shield the belly from what little heat the AMS gives off. Light it and it runs 14 hours overnight. Bottom is wide open, Smokeware cap is either off or wide open if raining. I Use Traeger apple wood pellets; I found the AMS pellets tended to go out more than Traeger. I'll probably buy fancy pellets next time that use 100% wood for the flavor- Traeger uses a base wood and flavored oils to flavor their pellets. I like the quality of the smoke but I'm all about using real ingredients so I'll likely change it up when I'm ready to buy more. I bought 20# of Apple pellets last time and that is a lifetime supply. 

It's really simple and cold smoke bacon blows hot smoked away. I would prefer to get the smoke from a clean burning wood fire pumped into a cold smoke chamber but even I have limits on what I'm willing to do. I can say that this method produces the best bacon I've ever had. Way better than any store bought; even the fancy stuff. 
    thank you for the info, what is the outdoor temp when you do that? do you have to worry about that? i know your in texas so you have a similar climate to north alabama.

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:

thank you for the info, what is the outdoor temp when you do that? do you have to worry about that? i know your in texas so you have a similar climate to north alabama.
    Anything under 100 is fine and that is more for texture than safety. I do it overnight in the summer and any time of day the rest of the year. the belly is cured and soon to be smoked so the danger of being outside the safe zone does not come in to play nearly as much as a piece of meat left out. This is the best time of year to do it around here. 50's-60's outside. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:

Anything under 100 is fine and that is more for texture than safety. I do it overnight in the summer and any time of day the rest of the year. the belly is cured and soon to be smoked so the danger of being outside the safe zone does not come in to play nearly as much as a piece of meat left out. This is the best time of year to do it around here. 50's-60's outside. 
    Can you please walk us through the process? I’ve never gone the cold smoke route for meat, as the almighty Meathead forbids it!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:

Can you please walk us through the process? I’ve never gone the cold smoke route for meat, as the almighty Meathead forbids it!
    The almighty meathead is dead wrong on this. 

After the cure, rinse it off real good and let air dry in the fridge overnight on a rack if you can. 

Set your egg up for indirect, light your AMS,
    load your belly, shut the dome, walk away for for 12-14 hours. 

Thats it. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:
    Kent8621 said:

The almighty meathead is dead wrong on this. 

After the cure, rinse it off real good and let air dry in the fridge overnight on a rack if you can. 

Set your egg up for indirect, light your AMS,
    load your belly, shut the dome, walk away for for 12-14 hours. 

Thats it. 
    To be fair, Meathead doesn't forbid it. He just thinks that cold smoking meat and fish (fish in particular) shouldn't be done by the average bear. Just like the average bear shouldn't try to drive in Formula 1.
    He says that if you are going to do it be sure you know what you are doing and follow expert advice to the letter and recommends Ruhlman's book Charcuterie as a good reference.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,765
    edited December 2018
    Options

AMAZN Pellet Set Up

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BobDanger
    Options
    I like it...building one like it is going to be a winter project now.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • lkapigian
    Options
    BobDanger said:
    I love this thing...plenty of real estate , you find yourself cold smoking things you would not have thought of 

Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BobDanger
    Options
    I’ve been looking for an old 1950’s refrigerator, the ones with the porcelain interiors. Those are hard to find so I’m thinking of making one like yours.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    BobDanger said:
    I’ve been looking for an old 1950’s refrigerator, the ones with the porcelain interiors. Those are hard to find so I’m thinking of making one like yours.

@BobDanger. Recently I picked up a new 85 gallon salvage drum.  I'm going to make it into a dedicated cold smoker.  It seems huge compared to my 55 gaon UDS.

Phoenix 
  • BobDanger
    Options
    blasting said:
    BobDanger said:

@BobDanger. Recently I picked up a new 85 gallon salvage drum.  I'm going to make it into a dedicated cold smoker.  It seems huge compared to my 55 gaon UDS.

I’ve got a smaller one...smaller than a 55 gallon. Please post your plan...u have me rethinking now lol.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • lkapigian
    Options
    Brilliant idea...^^^^^^^
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited December 2018
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    BobDanger said:
    I love this thing...plenty of real estate , you find yourself cold smoking things you would not have thought of 

Have you tried
    black salt-really takes on the smoke- 10hrs
    cheese its- 2 hrs
    gold fish- 2hrs
    chex mix- 2-3
    nuts
    white salt-10
    wrap some logs of mozzarella with prosciutto -3
    deviled eggs

• lkapigian
    Options
    @Woodchunk salts , SPG various rubs yes....chex mix and gold fish...Brilliant !!
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • blasting
    Options
    BobDanger said:hi
    blasting said:
    BobDanger said:

I’ve got a smaller one...smaller than a 55 gallon. Please post your plan...u have me rethinking now lol.

I'll build it next week and post pic here.

Phoenix 
  • blasting
    Options

blasting said:

@BobDanger  This is as far as I got last week.  Castors on, shelf standards installed, vent holes in, smoker holder and deflector, and painted.  I'm going to use pizza screens - 4-5 levels supported by the shelf brackets.  Then, when smoking sausage the screens and supports come out, and a 3/8" stainless hanging grate sits on the tops of the vertical shelf standards.  The A-Maze-N smoker tray sits off the ground with an ash catcher, and heat deflector above.  I can lower it in with my fire tool.  Once it's done I'll do a post of it's inaugural smoke.

Phoenix 
  • lkapigian
    edited December 2018
    Options
  • BobDanger
    Options
    blasting said:

blasting said:

@BobDanger  This is as far as I got last week.  Castors on, shelf standards installed, vent holes in, smoker holder and deflector, and painted.  I'm going to use pizza screens - 4-5 levels supported by the shelf brackets.  Then, when smoking sausage the screens and supports come out, and a 3/8" stainless hanging grate sits on the tops of the vertical shelf standards.  The A-Maze-N smoker tray sits off the ground with an ash catcher, and heat deflector above.  I can lower it in with my fire tool.  Once it's done I'll do a post of it's inaugural smoke.

WOW...That looks awesome. Love the pizza tray idea.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • jccbone62
    jccbone62 Posts: 248
    Options

I've tried every suggestion that Cen-Tex and others have provided and I'm still having trouble keeping the pellets burning. Maybe it's the type of pellets that I'm using, so I will start the search for the brand that will burn consistently.

Note, I'm using my XL and airflow shouldn't be an issue, so it must be the pellets. I've even tried the suggestion of putting pellets in the microwave before using them and they still didn't burn for an extended time like others have gotten them to work.

I wonder what pellet brands others have tried that have burned properly?

XL owner in Wichita, KS
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    edited February 2021
    Options
    2 lb wild Salmon should be ready for Cold Smoke tmrw at 6am.  I followed Ruhlman's book Charcuterie for cure recipe/technique.  It has been a few yrs since I have cold smoked, but just dusted off my A-MAZE-N smoker. 

Last try, I had trouble keeping the pellets lit (I used ones made by A-MAZE-N smoker) when I cold smoked Bacon, so I plan to borrow some traeger pellets from my neighboor and see if it works better.  It is friggin cold here (high 30, low 5) so hoping I dont have to babysit.  

This post was great and I saved as Bookmark, so quick BUMP since its cold weather and maybe others wanna try a cold smoke.  I will post pic of fish after smoke.  Nice bc Ruhlman says it can last few weeks in the fridge wrapped in butchers paper.
    Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • NDG
    NDG Posts: 2,431
    Options
    First had to use torch to get egg open- then to light pellets - old man winter was laughing at me - good times.

Columbus, OH

“There are only two ways to live your life.  One is as though nothing is a miracle.  The other is as if everything is” 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    An oldie but goodie! I have learned a lot about pellets since i initially posted this and have moved away from Traeger pellets.  Traeger uses a widely available cheap base wood (mostly poplar) and then flavor the pellets with oils. There are many good 100% hardwood pellets out there that use only the wood specified (apple pellets are made from 100% applewood etc). Green Mountain grills uses 100% hardwood like this so i have been using those. I do like them better. I noticed the Traeger applewood pellets were leaving my bacon with a jaundiced yellow tint that was unappealing. I assume that was coming from the oils. That went away when i switched to the 100% hardwood pellets. 

Cant wait to hear how the salmon turns out.