Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So No Nasdaq or mail on Wed?

https://www.nj.com/news/2018/12/no-mail-no-stock-market-wednesday-for-george-hw-bush-national-day-of-mourning.html

look I remember him as a president, I'm sure he did a great job, and I don't advocate one side or another.. but to shut down the Nasdaq? I know and agree we have to honor this most Honorable public servant but shutting down a market is the best way?? The mail, well a bill is one day late... no big deal.... I am a patriot but shutting down a financial trading exchange doesn't make sense to me... 
Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL

Comments

• Create a national holiday for him, a living tribute, I feel that would be more memorable, I think I didn't word this the best way possible.
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Yeah..it's a damn shame they even close the market down on Christmas, Thanksgiving, Labor Day, Independence Day, etc., etc., etc.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    You can always play Gordon Gekko on Tuesday and Thursday this week.  Blue horseshoe loves Bush the Elder.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I have requested the markets to remain open in the event of my passing.
    I hope this will reduce your stress.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Not just the Nasdaq, the New York Stock Exchange will be closed too. :o If it helps, the IRS will be closed so you can't get audited that day. Silver lining. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Delay yes bill delivery? You say it like it’s a bad thing.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    in georges honor lets shut the mail down every wednesday, saturdays too
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • People mail bills?
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,665
    edited December 2018
    People mail bills?
    my car loan from this summer even came with a payment book to send in the payment coupons =)=)=) ive never seen that in my life, heard about it, just never seen it. i can pay in person as well =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Not to pile on, but the bond markets are closed as well.  :shrug:
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Federal Courts:  Closed.  Some state courts, too.  WTF?  You know the lawyers are still working anyway -- no respect.  No respect at all.

And, flags at 1/2 staff?  Shouldn't we put them at 1.5 staff -- wave 'em higher?  

Get off my lawn!
    It's a 302 thing . . .
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    "The sky is falling Chicken Little!" Don't be scared, your world will continue and all will be fine on Thursday.
    Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684

And, flags at 1/2 staff?  

30 days for a President too......whether current or former.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    It's like the media has Alzheimer's when it comes to their treatment of him.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    I fail to understand your problem with the market closing..... the man was our president and speant his life serving this country.  Whether you agree with his politics or not, he was a devoted civil servant.  We should honor that. 

Right on Grillin. He deserves it, if not more.

On the other hand, when Donnie is gone the tribute will be completely opposite.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    The procedure is the same for all US Presidents since Kennedy. 
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    I assumed as much. I was suprised at first but just assumed that's the normal procedure.

FIne by me.

I saw him jogging around Memorial Park in Houston once with SS detail and a SUV tailing.

Also saw him and Barbara in a grocery store near his house one night. Just folks.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    edited December 2018
    I am upset that they aren't shutting down the whole damn internet for the day as well.  

Forced disconnect for a day would do the world good.
  • Spaightlabs
    YEMTrey said:
    Not to pile on, but the bond markets are closed as well.  :shrug:
    Gad dammit!  Please tell me the CBT isn't gonna be closed?  Will I still be able to trade bitchcoin?
  • Spaightlabs
    edited December 2018
    I fail to understand your problem with the market closing..... the man was our president and speant his life serving this country.  Whether you agree with his politics or not, he was a devoted civil servant.  We should honor that. 

Right on Grillin. He deserves it, if not more.

On the other hand, when Donnie is gone the tribute will be completely opposite.

When 45 passes, and I suspect he won't because he can afford to keep his hair and head alive in a jar in a lab somewhere, it will be a day of national grift and all corruption will be legal for 24 hours.
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    To some extent, but the family does have some leeway to design as they see fit to honor or reflect on their life and service.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Is Popeyes gonna be closed?  Asking for a friend.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I will also request no flags be lowered to half mast at anytime in the global celebration of my passing. "FUGGERS GONE!!!" is my code word.
    Keep them flying.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I wasn't aware of the shutdowns when a President dies.  I think it's a good tradition though, and 41 certainly deserves it.

It seems healthy for the country to show some joint respect for the office.

Phoenix 
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    People mail bills?
    I’m sure some folks still do. Especially older folks. But more importantly all my shaving gear comes by mail. With that said, I like for the mail to run often and early =)

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out.