Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - RIP George H.W. Bush

Comments

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Always the gentleman. Also had a real sense of humor. RIP
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Last WWII vet to be President also... 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

RIP . He was a good man.

Just read the markets will be closed on Wed.  I didn't know this was done for the passing of a President.
    Phoenix 
  • DoubleEgger
    41 was the first President I voted for. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    RIP

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    His handling of the Cold War wind down I believe will be his highest accolade in the adages of history.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Dude was right about “voodoo economics” as well. I’d forgotten about that.  NPR just had a segment on him.  They also mentioned his 90% approval rating shortly after the first Gulf War.  I doubt we’ll ever see that again.
    We'll see it again but it'll be after our next "9/11" I'm afraid. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • DoubleEgger
    • At 65, it seems being president gave H.W. the courage to tell his mother that he would no longer obey her orders to eat broccoli. He spoke at a news conference about his Air Force One broccoli ban, saying: “I do not like broccoli. And I haven’t liked it since I was a little kid and my mother made me eat it. And I’m President of the United States and I’m not going to eat any more broccoli!” (March 23, 1990).
  • Dude was right about “voodoo economics” as well. I’d forgotten about that.  NPR just had a segment on him.  They also mentioned his 90% approval rating shortly after the first Gulf War.  I doubt we’ll ever see that again.
    What's more remarkable is that approval was that high and a few years later did not win reelection. I've always felt he was the most underrated president of my lifetime.
    Stillwater, MN
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Dude was right about “voodoo economics” as well. I’d forgotten about that.  NPR just had a segment on him.  They also mentioned his 90% approval rating shortly after the first Gulf War.  I doubt we’ll ever see that again.
    What's more remarkable is that approval was that high and a few years later did not win reelection. I've always felt he was the most underrated president of my lifetime.
    OK, here's the essay, but I didn't write it.
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/george-hw-bush-the-anti-trump/2018/12/01/d7a3dc22-f591-11e8-bc79-68604ed88993_story.html
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    edited December 2018
    What's more remarkable is that approval was that high and a few years later did not win reelection. 
    I don’t say this with any disrespect towards him, but I feel what really hurt him was the “Read my lips” promise that he very quickly broke. 
    Had he not made that promise and raised taxes, most would of just shrugged it off as business as usual. However, the “Read my lips” promise was something that he ran on during his campaign. To a lot of people it made him look like a bald face liar. And in their defense he certainly broke a huge promise that he made on national TV for the whole world to see. 
    Again, I’m not judging the man at all. Just pointing out what I feel probably hurt his re-election bid. If you think back, the “Read my lips” comment became a running joke for a very long time. I don’t know if you remember or not, but ole Slick Willie was very quick to point out the “Read my lips” broken promise during his campaign against Bush. Willie was promising to cut taxes and Bush had just went back on his word and raised taxes. I really think that’s what cost him the election. 

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited December 2018
    That loss was due to Ross Perot.  RIP H.W.Bush. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    CAVU
    For that Navy pilot, eternally.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited December 2018
    This......

Perot got nearly 19% of the vote.  Clinton was 43%, Bush was 37-38%.  Gotta figure that most of the Perot voters would have either not voted or would have reluctantly voted for Bush.  Maybe some would have voted Clinton, but as long more than 2/3's voted Bush, it would have been a Bush relection.

There some math out there that says Clinton would have still won.  That may be true for election day, but you have to go back to the campaign.  Clinton only had to fight Bush; Bush had to fend off Clinton AND Perot.....trying to keep voters in his own party after the primaries.  If his campaign could have just concentrated on Clinton, it probably would have been a VERY different world today.  
  • Dude was right about “voodoo economics” as well. I’d forgotten about that.  NPR just had a segment on him.  They also mentioned his 90% approval rating shortly after the first Gulf War.  I doubt we’ll ever see that again.
    This......

Perot got nearly 19% of the vote.  Clinton was 43%, Bush was 37-38%.  Gotta figure that most of the Perot voters would have either not voted or would have reluctantly voted for Bush.  Maybe some would have voted Clinton, but as long more than 2/3's voted Bush, it would have been a Bush relection.

There some math out there that says Clinton would have still won.  That may be true for election day, but you have to go back to the campaign.  Clinton only had to fight Bush; Bush had to fend off Clinton AND Perot.....trying to keep voters in his own party after the primaries.  If his campaign could have just concentrated on Clinton, it probably would have been a VERY different world today.  
    It is not quite that simple, as you have to view things through the lens of the electoral college, and there things weren’t all that close with Clinton picking up 370 of them.  The problem with your analysis of Perot’s percentage is that it’s not evenly distributed across all of the states.

Bush was fighting pretty strong economic headwinds.  “It’s the economy stupid” didn’t come from nowhere.  Those basic factors were completely independent of Perot.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    This......

It is not quite that simple, as you have to view things through the lens of the electoral college, and there things weren’t all that close with Clinton picking up 370 of them.  The problem with your analysis of Perot’s percentage is that it’s not evenly distributed across all of the states.

Bush was fighting pretty strong economic headwinds.  “It’s the economy stupid” didn’t come from nowhere.  Those basic factors were completely independent of Perot.
    Right.....that's why I said if he wouldn't have had to run against two people, it would have been a far different campaign after the nomination.  He was campaigning to get the republican's support when he should have already had it at that point.  No doubt that would changed how his campaign was run.  It would have been close, but there's really no math that can prove either because we don't know if the campaign strategy would have played out.
  • DoubleEgger
    Six words killed 41’s chances of a second term. 
    This......

Right.....that's why I said if he wouldn't have had to run against two people, it would have been a far different campaign after the nomination.  He was campaigning to get the republican's support when he should have already had it at that point.  No doubt that would changed how his campaign was run.  It would have been close, but there's really no math that can prove either because we don't know if the campaign strategy would have played out.
    Nobody is saying we can prove anything here, of course.

But campaigns matter much less than we tend to think they do.  There are basic fundamentals that have been shown to be very predictive when it comes to the US Presidential election. The fact of the matter is that a lot of citizens don’t really pay attention to politics or the campaigns all that closely.  
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    edited December 2018
     I believe campaigns matter a whole lot more than policy. It’s the economy stupid. Hope. Drain the swamp. Lock her up. 
  • GrillSgt said:
     I believe campaigns matter a whole lot more than policy. It’s the economy stupid. Hope. Drain the swamp. Lock her up. 
    Yeah I think it’s pretty debatable.  I prefer the view that a lot more simply simply hinges on how well (or poorly) things have gone while the incumbent party has been in office.  I’m sympathetic to Allan Lichtman’s 13 keys, for example, which are largely disconnected from any campaign.  He also has the virtue of being one of the few people who predicted a Trump victory.
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    I consider 41 and Arnold Palmer two of the most decent human beings in my lifetime.
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • I love this pic 

She was no doubt complaining that he hadn’t eaten enough broccoli that day.
  • He will go down as an underappreciated POTUS. He served his country very well.

-DRUE

Gallatin, TN

Minimax- August 2016

XL- November 2016

"And now we know.....and knowing is half the battle"- G.I. Joe

• Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    He will go down as an underappreciated POTUS. He served his country very well.
    And his service goes far beyond his time as a POTUS.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD