Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Airport Food

Options
The dickeys thread https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1216909/dickey-s-bbq got me thinking about airport food- since I seem to be in airports often.

There is grab and go food- fast food and sit down food.   For this discussion post up your favorite sit down places.

DFW- go to Ling and Louies in Terminal A and get the Poke bowl...  
Charlotte- I have had many people tell me the Sushi place by the rockers is incredible, I havent been able to get myself to try that yet.

XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 

Comments

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Ling and Louie’s DFW
    Publican Tavern O’Hare
    ike’s MSP

there are serveral great ones at SFO as well. Oysters and Sauv Blanc at Cat Cora’s on my way home is always a favorite. Don’t get out there much anymore. 

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • Slippy
    Slippy Posts: 214
    Options
    Ling and Louie’s DFW
    Publican Tavern O’Hare
    ike’s MSP

there are serveral great ones at SFO as well. Oysters and Sauv Blanc at Cat Cora’s on my way home is always a favorite. Don’t get out there much anymore. 

What's the thought on Salt Lick at Austin Airport? Seen it, never been... Ot is it even still there? 
    Rockwall, TX  •  LBGE, Big Hat Ranger offset smoker, Really old 22" Weber Kettle, Pile of Pecan and Post Oak... 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Slippy said:
    Ling and Louie’s DFW
    Publican Tavern O’Hare
    ike’s MSP

What's the thought on Salt Lick at Austin Airport? Seen it, never been... Ot is it even still there? 
    It was there just a few months ago when I flew into Austin.  I haven’t been but I think the word on the street is that it’s pretty decent.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    One flew south- ATL E concourse
    Prime- LGA
    42nd Street- RDU

Greensboro, NC
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Also like the Cuban place in F in ATL- can’t remember the name. 

Used to be a Columbia in Miami- not sure if it’s still there but love their Cuban sandwich
    Greensboro, NC
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    edited December 2018
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Also like the Cuban place in F in ATL- can’t remember the name. 

Used to be a Columbia in Miami- not sure if it’s still there but love their Cuban sandwich
    Papis at the T gates 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Slippy said:
    Ling and Louie’s DFW
    Publican Tavern O’Hare
    ike’s MSP

Still there. They just tripped the size of it to add a bar. It’s not good food but always packed. 
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options

ike’s MSP

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try.  Anymore, I only fly thru MSP or DEN (and I haven't found a decent place in Denvoid either).  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:

ike’s MSP

Thanks, I'll have to give it a try.  Anymore, I only fly thru MSP or DEN (and I haven't found a decent place in Denvoid either).  
    Get you a weekender. 

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Prime- LGA
    42nd Street- RDU

The last is the place I hit up if I’m at RDU with enough time.  Good grub, good beer.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    edited December 2018
    Options

Fruit, veggies, dairy, seafood and protein; sounds like a winner!   =)  

EDIT:  Oh, and what is a "jalabeano"?  Sounds like something I'd like.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:

Fruit, veggies, dairy, seafood and protein; sounds like a winner!   =)  

EDIT:  Oh, and what is a "jalabeano"?  Sounds like something I'd like.  
    It’s a meal and a cocktail in one glass. You should see it live. It screams “I’m hungry and want to get drunk”! 
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Dallas Love Field, 
    Mexican place
    Excellent G&T
    pretty decent guacamole 

Detroit
    Crave Burgers

St. Louis
    Three Kings Public House
    all round pretty good

Chicago
    marconi grill-terminal 3
    anything

Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Pappadeuax at IAH

+1 for Popeye's at ATL
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,115
    Options
    Wolfpack said:

42nd Street- RDU

I'll be at RDU Tomorrow thanks for the rec
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Rectec RT-B380, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    xfire_ATX said:
    Wolfpack said:

42nd Street- RDU

I'll be at RDU Tomorrow thanks for the rec
    It's pretty close to the middle of Terminal 2, between the C and D gates.
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    ATL: One Flew South for sure.

The Pulled Duck Sandwich almost makes me not care if my flight goes FUBAR.
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX
  • JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    I'll second the nomination of Pappadeaux at IAH and the sushi at both CLT and Detroit.  Detroit gets multiple planes per hour from Asia so that's some fresh tuna. PF Changs at ATL, can't remember which terminal.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    I'll second the nomination of Pappadeaux at IAH and the sushi at both CLT and Detroit.  Detroit gets multiple planes per hour from Asia so that's some fresh tuna. PF Changs at ATL, can't remember which terminal.
    Do the planes scoop the tuna straight out of the ocean mid-flight?  

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Prime- LGA
    42nd Street- RDU

The last is the place I hit up if I’m at RDU with enough time.  Good grub, good beer.
    Me too, 42 street is good stuff.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    JethroVA said:
    Do the planes scoop the tuna straight out of the ocean mid-flight?  

Yeah man, you know long lining.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • milesvdustin
    Options
    Best airport food I've ever had is the little bag of pretzels because my flights are always late and I have to run through the terminal. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• sumoconnell
    sumoconnell Posts: 1,932
    Options
    Airports have really upped their game recently.  In Austin, tacodeli opened a couple months back. One on my favorites in town.  

The salt lick had been in the airport for a long time, last year they got a bigger place.  Food is still trucked in.  Salt lick is okay BBQ.  It's awesome ambiance at the dripping springs location. I like their unique BBQ sauce and love their rub.
    +++++++++++++++++++++++++++
    Austin, Texas.  I'm the guy holding a beer.
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    I'm heading thru IAH on my way to Albuquerque (which BTW is one of the harder cities to spell) for a few days.

Unfortunately, I go thru ORD on my way back.
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,186
    Options
    Can I get a McRib at the airport? Asking for a friend. 
  • Wolfpack
    Options
    Haven’t been yet but opened a Bobby’s burger palace in ATL and opening a shake shack soon. 

There is a Bad Daddy’s Burger bar in CLT that is worth it for the tatertots alone. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Airports have really upped their game recently.  In Austin, tacodeli opened a couple months back. One on my favorites in town.  

The salt lick had been in the airport for a long time, last year they got a bigger place.  Food is still trucked in.  Salt lick is okay BBQ.  It's awesome ambiance at the dripping springs location. I like their unique BBQ sauce and love their rub.
    Only local restaurants are allowed in the Austin airport with key ingredients prepared and brought in, all staffed by one vendor that manages all of the restaurants in the airport.

I used to eat at the salt lick there now and then (biscuits w/brisket gravy), they have a new menu now and if there are five people waiting to order, that’s 30 minutes to get your food.  The service there is horrible but they have a breakfast burrito I really want.
  • REB17
    REB17 Posts: 152
    Options
    ATL-Verasanos Pizzeria in Terminla A 
    LGBE-1999, MBGE-2003, SBGE-2007

Midlothian, VA
  • dmchicago
    dmchicago Posts: 4,516
    Options
    Legume said:

Only local restaurants are allowed in the Austin airport with key ingredients prepared and brought in, all staffed by one vendor that manages all of the restaurants in the
    There’s now an Einstein’s Bagel. 💩
    Philly - Kansas City - Houston - Cincinnati - Dallas - Houston - Memphis - Austin - Chicago - Austin

Large BGE. OONI 16, TOTO Washlet S550e (Now with enhanced Motherly Hugs!)

"If I wanted my balls washed, I'd go to the golf course!"
    Dennis - Austin,TX