Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT Learned My Lesson

Options
Last night I was cleaning my brisket knife. While drying it off I lacerated my left index finger. Had to have it glued at the ER.
Today I ordered a pair of food grade knife safety gloves in addition to bandages.

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,767
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I winced reading that
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Just to lighten things up- if you were cleaning the brisket knife did I miss the brisket pics??  ;)
    I hope the gloves work out for you as I burn thru the el cheapo latex food safety gloves during prep work and preparing to serve at quite a high rate.  I guess the trip-wire to don the knife safety gloves is when you reach for the knife. 
    BTW- there's a product you can buy, "Nu-Skin" which is the first aid equivalent of super glue.  Personal experience-works great and then a couple of band aids and duct tape (did you expect anything else?) for the final wrap. 
    Would help if you are right-handed. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Skiddymarker
    Options
    Ouch, hope it heals quickly. Like @lousubcai have the same question, how was the brisket?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Damn I haven’t cut myself in a couple of years and nicked myself twice this week. Must be the season. 
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    Options
    No Brisket, just a spatchcock Cornish Hen.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,970
    edited December 2018
    Options
    I squared off my thumb a few years ago cutting salad of all things. Cut about 1/8" inch off. Could not stop the bleeding (was like the Dan Akroyd Julia Child SNL skits). Stuck Pig would have been an understatement. SIL is a nurse and she told me to go to CVS and get Wound Seal. What she didn't tell me is that I needed to have a leather strap in my mouth when pouring that devil's powder into my wound. It stopped the bleeding instantly but SOB did it hurt. WAY worse than the cut;  Knife was razor sharp and went through like butter. 

I've kept it in the first aid lit ever since but it will take a serious cut before I would want to go through that again. 

go get you some

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    He means the Cornish hen knife.  ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,385
    Options
    Related, after the product mention above I have not found "WoundSeal" at any of the local CVS, Walgreens or Rite-Aid stores.  I will look when otherwise in the store but I should just abandon the brick and mortar and go on line. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    While working in a trailer-manu. plant I was holding a long metal straightedge with my left hand while slicing fiberglass matting with a razor knife, and due to overhang neatly sliced off about 1/16" of my middle (driving/signaling) finger. Super-sharp knife and the wound didn't hurt at all, a simple band-aid covered it up.
    BUT, that night and the next, I had gigs (was playing fiddle in a bluegrass band at that time) and the gigs just about killed me, blood everywhere and lots of pain.  Owch!  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    Options
    Before pics or it didn’t happen
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Options
    Maybe I’m a dumbass, but the only time I cut myself is when I dice onions while drinking!
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    jabam said:
    Maybe I’m a dumbass, but the only time I cut myself is when I dice onions while drinking!
    Hey, at least you have an excuse for the tears!
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,357
    Options
    Or you can just go "Caveman Style" on your wound for a true instant seal!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • dstearn
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    Just to lighten things up- if you were cleaning the brisket knife did I miss the brisket pics??  ;)
    I hope the gloves work out for you as I burn thru the el cheapo latex food safety gloves during prep work and preparing to serve at quite a high rate.  I guess the trip-wire to don the knife safety gloves is when you reach for the knife. 
    BTW- there's a product you can buy, "Nu-Skin" which is the first aid equivalent of super glue.  Personal experience-works great and then a couple of band aids and duct tape (did you expect anything else?) for the final wrap. 
    Would help if you are right-handed. 
    The ER was using a glue that had an antibiotic. He squeezed the finger to start blood flow. Then he covered the wound with the glue. This way the scab forms under the glue to promote healing. 
  • Eggcelsior
    Options
    If it’s not healing well there is always leeches. Used them frequently when I worked at the Curtis National Hand Center.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Or you can just go "Caveman Style" on your wound for a true instant seal!
    That might have hurt less. This stuff is evil. It works though. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • dstearn
    Options
    I decided that it was time to unwrap it. It looks like it is forming a nice bark!

• minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    I squared off my thumb a few years ago cutting salad of all things. Cut about 1/8" inch off. Could not stop the bleeding (was like the Dan Akroyd Julia Child SNL skits). Stuck Pig would have been an understatement. SIL is a nurse and she told me to go to CVS and get Wound Seal. What she didn't tell me is that I needed to have a leather strap in my mouth when pouring that devil's powder into my wound. It stopped the bleeding instantly but SOB did it hurt. WAY worse than the cut;  Knife was razor sharp and went through like butter. 

I've kept it in the first aid lit ever since but it will take a serious cut before I would want to go through that again. 

go get you some

Sound like you need to add a musket ball to the kit instead of a leather strap.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    My wife cuts herself at least once every other month. I don’t get it. The spine of the knife is dull. Approach from the spine to clean or dry.  Ugh. Your picture makes me shudder. Ouch. Lots of nerve endings in the finger tip. Keep it clean!
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options
    dstearn said:
    I decided that it was time to unwrap it. It looks like it is forming a nice bark!

I've got almost the same wound on my thumb right now.  Cheese plane was my offender.  I've got a bunch of work to do outside today - I'm not looking forward to constantly banging it.

Phoenix 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    dstearn said:

I’ve had bigger cuts on my eye.  =)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• JohnnyTarheel
    Options
    Dang I feel your pain ...
    Charlotte, NC - Large BGE 2014, Maverick ET 733, Thermopen, Nest, Platesetter, Woo2 and Extender w/Grid, Kick Ash Basket, Pizza Stone, SS Smokeware Cap, Blackstone 36"
  • Jstroke
    Jstroke Posts: 2,600
    Options
    Sure is purty. Makes me pucker and hold my breath looking at it. You are spot on, I would have ordered gloves to after that, and looking at yours I still might.
    Columbus, Ohio--A Gasser filled with Matchlight and an Ugly Drum.
  • dstearn
    Options
    Dang I feel your pain ...
    Surprisingly, it does not hurt, just a PITA to deal with for the next week or so. Perhaps I severed some nerve endings when the knife sliced thru the finger tip.
  • Yno
    Yno Posts: 529
    Options
    Years ago I cut my left index finger while sharpening a knife. I immediately wrapped some paper towels around it and headed off to the ER. Doc on call unwrapped it and while holding it asked if I had tried to bend it. I hadn't, and he said it was a good thing because I severed the tendons. He called in and orthopedic surgeon who managed to put things back together without to much drama. he said if I had bent it, he would have had to do a major cut job to find the ends.

It was relatively painless until the stitches came out and I tried to bend it for the first time. Damn near peed my pants.
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.