Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Input requested for Spatched Turkey

Options
Doing a ~13lb turkey for Thanksgiving (after I pull the 14lb brisket off Thursday morning and put it in the cooler).  Going to spatchcock it myself but am looking for thoughts on whether to do raised direct or and indirect cook? Leaning raised direct, but asking the pros here.

Thanks and happy holiday!

Comments

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Don't think it makes a difference if you watch the temp. I like indirect because I put a foil pan on the ps to catch all the drippings, bake potatoes, and veggies while its smoking. SC'ed will cook faster
  • grillman14
    Options
    I have done 2 in the last 2 weeks,  a 16 lbr and a 14 lbr. I did both indirect at 325-340 and they took abut 2 -2.5 hrs. cooked until internal temp is 165 and rested. I did put the new foil pan underneath for drippings. Very very moist and faster than if they were not spatched.  added a little pecan to darken and flavor.... 
    Remember that grilling is more than preparing food… It’s time with family and friends, it’s your heritage and childhood memories….
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    Indirect is my way of doing a spatch turkey.
    325F for about 2.5 hours. Used a chunk of cherry, for a nice mahogany look at the finish. Go to 165F. Pan it drippings, if you like.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    I like raised indirect as well. Find the dome heat helps render the skin better 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,052
    Options
    Raised indirect, then if you want flip skin down and go direct to really crisp the skin.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    This.
    I go for 380-400. I also make sure that the egg is stabilized at that temp for at least 90 minutes so the dome ceramic is at or about that same temp. And I am with @YukonRon with a chunk of cherry for nice color.  For turkey, I also add a small to medium three-finger pinch of pecan chips added 5 or so minutes apart for the first 15 sprinkled on the edge of the glowing coals. They go fast at that higher temperature, hence the three separate drops. Not to mention turkey picks up smoke really easy, so you do not want to add too much. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    My first one was raised direct and it was fine, but my second one and all since then have been indirect.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Mickey
    Mickey Posts: 19,674
    Options
    Spatchcocked Turkey and Chicken on the Big Green Egg
    (you cut out the backbone and cook opened)
    I like a 11/12 lb bird. If I need lots of turkey I just cook a couple ( 1 & 1/2  hr cook app)
    Chicken 3 to 3.75lb bird or birds. Under an hour cook. 
    Or, just add a package of legs extra. 
    I do not brine the turkey or Chicken. 
    If time I like to leave uncovered in the fridge overnight (no problem if no time) 
    I cook "direct" @ 400/425 on a raised grill "skin side up" and never turn over.
    I will use a coffee rub. Use what you like.
    NOTE PLEASE (A LOT OF SMOKE IS NOT YOU FRIEND)
    I use about a single handfull of mixed chips: Cherry & Pecan. 
    DIFFERENT PULL AND DONENESS TEMPERATURES
    * White Meat Pull the white meat at 157°F (69°C), so it will come to a final resting temperature of at least 165°F (74°C).
    * Dark Meat The higher temperature range of 175-180°F (79-82°C) allows the connective tissues to dissolve, and turn the tough meat into tender and silky meat. The legs and thighs are smaller than the breasts, and will not experience as much carryover cooking (food retains heat and continues to cook even after being removed from the source of heat). Temperatures 5-10°F (2-5°C) above 175°F (79°C) will not harm the dark meat.

Rest both 10 mins.

Coffee Rub (turkey, chicken, beef & pork)
    Equal part: Instant Expresso Ground coffee..
    Equal part: Brown Sugar..
    ½ part: Black Pepper..
    ½ part: Kosher Salt..
    ½ part: Garlic Powder..
    ¾ part: Ancho Chili Powder..
    NOTE: I just start with a small jar of the Instant Expresso Ground coffee and use the jar for all measurements. 
    Don't worry on exact, just close on measurement. I used to use turbinado sugar but we like with brown better. This is pulled from MollyShark, Hungry Man, & Richard In Fl then tweaked. I find the ancho chili powder is far less expensive in the bulk spice area than the bottled area ( have used both light or dark version). I make it starting with a half cup Instant Expresso Ground coffee and work from there as it seems to store well if sealed.

Salado TX & 30A  FL: Egg Family: 3 Large and a very well used Mini, added a Mini Max when they came out (I'm good for now). Plus a couple Pit Boss Pellet Smokers.   

• epl108
    epl108 Posts: 13
    Options
    Thanks, everyone.  Looks like I'm going to be going with an indirect cook.  Really appreciate the feedback!
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Do you have to ice the breast portion before cooking if doing spatch?

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • gbvinla
    Options

The only turkey fail I have experienced was the conventional cook and icing the breasts as per the forum. I can't explain why it failed, probably me.

I just completed two spatched 9 lb. birds last night. Direct, raised at 350 dome to start. Went to about 275 once the protein hit the grill but came back after the flip at about the 1 hour mark. Total cook for each was less than 2 hours. I started the second one late because my son was late delivering his bird. My plan was to do them on the same egg stacked.

Large BGE x2  Now we're cookin' in Dothan Al.