Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

So today I did a thing...

Options
NPHuskerFL
NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
Well yesterday :tongue:
Started with baking a loaf of Sourdough.  You can see that loaf 
https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/comment/2377909#Comment_2377909
Then began breaking down some onions...around 8 Vidalia in all.

Using the same CI DO as I used on the bread I used the induction burner.  Started with a knob of Kerrygold butter and some neutral oil (EVOO is fine).  Add in the onions with some aromatics (thyme, sage, etc) & a punch of kosher salt (DO NOT OVER SALT).  Begin on medium heat to soften up the onions.

Then turn up the heat to brown the onions. Not caramelizing but, Browning them.  I followed Julia Childs aka The Original French Chef.  Added in some Cabernet Sauvignon and let it simmer out a bit. Added in about 3T flour.  Add in about 1 liter strained beef stock and simmer for about 35-45 minutes. While that is going slice and toast some of that fresh bread...it should be crusty. Used our Presto to shred two blocks of Gruyere cheese. But, this can be done using a hand shredder as well.
Get your Ramekin dishes or whatever you're going to use ready. I preheated the egg to 500 and then bumped down to 450ish. Ladle in the onion soup place your crusty bread on top and then top generously with your cheese.  Bake until nice and melty...roughly about 20-45 minutes depending on the size of the Ramekin. Enjoy.

Thanks for looking.
LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL

Comments