Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knives

Comments

• gdenby
    gdenby Posts: 6,239
    Dobie said:
    It’s been a bit boring lately so why not. Got a full kitchen renovation going now so will upgrade some other stuff in the process. Thinking about a knife set, considering Wüsthof Classic Ikon set.  Can get a block set of 12 for $560ish. What else should I be looking that price point or there about?
    As already mentioned, sets are not the best way to go. Most work can be done w. 3 knives, a chef's, a petty, and a paring. Spend most of your money on those.

A few years ago, I was baking bread every week, and bought a bread knife. Don't bake much anymore, so it sits on the side, and my chef's knife does the slicing well enough. Actually, it does it better for really dense breads.

Kitchen shears, I use a good quality tin snip, goes thru most bones easily. And, if i do need to cut some metal, does double duty.

Few sets have cleavers. Again, not something i use all the time, so I have 2, one for meat, the other for veg, maybe $50 for both.

It might push your budget, but a magnetic strip is a really good way to hold the knives. Think mine was about $35, and it holds the 6 I use most frequently.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    @FanOfFanboys Had the same dilemma. Our entire kitchen being redone with quartz countertops and ceramic subway tile to the ceiling and I wanted to put the magnetic knife holder on the wall. I felt it was a fair compromise and put some industrial strength glue with industrial strength Velcro and secured the magnetic knife holder inside of one of our new cabinets. It works great I will try to shoot a picture in this thread later.
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    I’m actually a big fan of the cheap knives like Dexter Russell and Mercer. Comfortable and no worries about losing them or damaging them. Don’t get me wrong, I get a warm feeling inside when using a fancy (superior) knife like the next guy. Just another option to consider. 
    +1 to this.  

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• Woodchunk
    Woodchunk Posts: 911
    This place had a good sale right before Christmas last year. A member posted. Picked up a couple Henckels

https://www.cutleryandmore.com/henckels.htm
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Dobie said:
    Ok I’m going to take my time and wait for some Black Friday sales and buy some individual knives. Want drawer storage anyways. Who has those nice drawer storage thingys for knives? 
    Not me. What I want, but have not put the effort into finding, is the wood strip deal that attaches to wall and has a magnet behind it. I would like the wood to match the handles on my knives. I think those are clean looking. Not sure how to attach it to a ceramic back splash though
    In addition to an in drawer knife holder like the one mentioned above I have some magnetic knife holders.

I don't have  a good place to hang a knife holder on the wall in my kitchen so I have a couple of these:

One in light wood another in dark wood (they also have one in black). The dark wood one holds the knives that only me and God are allowed to use. :)

Might be an option for you if you can't easily attach something to a wall.

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Thanks Blake that’s what I was going for. Keep the new countertops less cluttered 
    Jacksonville FL
  •  You guys are wearing me down. First time I saw a kitchen knife thread and saw how much yall are spending on them I thought you were nuts!  Fast forward a year and I am now breaking down.   I have a $100 gift card to W&S and there is a W&S outlet 2 exits south where they generally sell high end cutlery at %40 off... I tend to only use one knife...

South of Columbus, Ohio.

•  I really don't understand my hesitation, my edc runs $200 and I have 5 of them. :s
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• FanOfFanboys
    FanOfFanboys Posts: 2,615
     You guys are wearing me down. First time I saw a kitchen knife thread and saw how much yall are spending on them I thought you were nuts!  Fast forward a year and I am now breaking down.   I have a $100 gift card to W&S and there is a W&S outlet 2 exits south where they generally sell high end cutlery at %40 off... I tend to only use one knife...

sounds like a bad investment NOT to buy a new knife...
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
     I really don't understand my hesitation, my edc runs $200 and I have 5 of them. :s
    I wager there is a benchmade or two in your collection?

I am rocking a small Sebenza 21 but looking at a benchmade as a backup and for when I send my sebenza off. Chris Reeve is very slow to return them 
    Boom
  • My dad and brother have those Chris reeves knives and they are nice... I see in his description of yours “bank vault” feel.  I don’t want a bank vault in my pocket. 
     Since I bought my first military they have been the only knives I carry. 
     It is nice and light, fast, I can out draw bro with the reeves auto, thin, I have to tap my side to see if it’s where It should be and I can still fit my big ass hands in my pocket, it has a big blade around 4”. love them!
      Ohh and the micarda handle pops a beer open with no trouble. Every winter I send some to spyderco with a $5 bill and they go through them, sharpen etc.

South of Columbus, Ohio.

• NPHuskerFL
    Thought it posted Chris...that or I sent in a text msg :confused:

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • FanOfFanboys
    My dad and brother have those Chris reeves knives and they are nice... I see in his description of yours “bank vault” feel.  I don’t want a bank vault in my pocket. 
     Since I bought my first military they have been the only knives I carry. 
     It is nice and light, fast, I can out draw bro with the reeves auto, thin, I have to tap my side to see if it’s where It should be and I can still fit my big ass hands in my pocket, it has a big blade around 4”. love them!
      Ohh and the micarda handle pops a beer open with no trouble. Every winter I send some to spyderco with a $5 bill and they go through them, sharpen etc.

"I don’t want a bank vault in my pocket."

that is in reference to how secure it is when open and locked. not in weight or mass

"
    I can out draw bro with the reeves auto"

there is no such thing as a Reeves auto. never has been and Chris says there never will be. they don't even have assisted opening

has stated countless times his knives are not meant to be fast opening, but deliberate. he has never built a knife with the intention of it opening fast enough to win a race

I assume the titanium of the sebenza could open a knife, never bothered trying. and almost every manufacturer will sharpen your knife and refinish it at no cost, aside from shipping

I can't get into spydercos. that giant hole isn't for me. but they are popular for a reason. Sal is one of the greats
    Boom
  • I stand corrected sir, my brother has a Chris Reeves, I don’t know the whole story he bought it from a dealer in anchorage and it turned out to be counterfeit, the dealer made it right.
     The automatic knife my dad carries is a micro tech.

I definitely like to get my knife out fast and always with one hand, 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• Japanese made knives are the best. German made knives are next in line (you have to make sure the knife you buy is specifically made in Germany and not China). My brother was a chef for years, and this is what he told me. I have Wusthof and really like them, but I am definitely will breakdown and get Shun one day (maybe when the kids are grown 🤪).
  • Dobie
    @NPHuskerFL you did text that to me thanks. Got it in my Amazon cart.
    @alaskanassasin PM2 my EDC and love it.

Jacksonville FL
  • Hoster05
    Hoster05 Posts: 312
    Anybody on here own any of the zwilling four star knifes?  I got a Black Friday email from a local kitchen supply company, 3 piece set regularly $280, on sale for $100 or the 8 piece kitchen block set regularly $612 on sale for $150 on Black Friday.  First impression is they are either way over priced or they are really trying to get ride of them.  I’m not familiar with zwilling, hence the post.  Any input appreciated.  
    Mankato, MN - LBGE
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Hoster05 said:
    Anybody on here own any of the zwilling four star knifes?  I got a Black Friday email from a local kitchen supply company, 3 piece set regularly $280, on sale for $100 or the 8 piece kitchen block set regularly $612 on sale for $150 on Black Friday.  First impression is they are either way over priced or they are really trying to get ride of them.  I’m not familiar with zwilling, hence the post.  Any input appreciated.  
    I’d prolly bite on either of those deals. Not the best or worst knives, but plenty adequate and they are giving them away at that price. Of course I regularly blow 150 on. Things like dinner and whiskey and cigars, so there’s that. 
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    Shun!
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • Dobie
    Anymore Black Friday sales on higher end knives?
    Jacksonville FL
  • NPHuskerFL
    I'm down for that ☝ ☝ ☝
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Hoster05 said:
    Don’t be fooled by the ridiculous MSRP. I’ve never seen Zwilling knives sell for anywhere close to those prices. 

My .02: If you already have some knives, invest in fewer high quality knifes as true upgrades. For $100, you can grab a Shun chefs knife during the Holiday Season. For $280, you can get 2-3 depending on the sale and type knife. 
  • pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    I don’t disagree with the comments by the others per se, I’m just a fan of the less expensive knives based upon the place and manner in which I most often use them. My show knives rarely get used. Others use theirs all the time however and you should assess your lifestyle and likely use/environment. If you are looking for higher quality, you will spend considerably more for just the chefs knife. Not that there’s anything wrong with that. 
  • JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    I have had a block set of Henkels for years, I added two Shuns, a chefs knife and an 8" boning knife to the set for around $200 a couple years ago. Those two knives are pretty much the only ones we use now. Unbelievable difference in quality. I went from sharpening the henkels once a month to just hitting the steel for the Shuns once in a while.

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • NPHuskerFL
    My Chef's knife sees MOST of the work whether it be proteins, veggies, herbs, etc.  It should feel quite comfortable in your hand...like an extension of your own hand if you will.  
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    edited November 2018
    I've been using a set of Cutco knives for years.  This thread has me considering a change, though I'm not sure why.  I guess the grass is always greener on the other side. 
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Waiting until Friday and will pick up a couple of Shuns. Wife is interested in the nakiri, any opinions?
  • NPHuskerFL
    GrillSgt said:
    Waiting until Friday and will pick up a couple of Shuns. Wife is interested in the nakiri, any opinions?
    I have the Shun Santoku and Nakiri.  Think my Wife got them as a set but, not sure if it was a "Black Friday deal" although she did give them to me a Christmas.  

LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    edited November 2018
    Its black Friday every day at our store. @Dobie @GrillSgt

I have KAI and Shun knives, what do you need?  If I dont have it in stock they usually come in a few weeks unless they're out....then it's a month or two since they're all handmade.

I also have my used personal set of 9 Wusthof's for sale......I'm a Shun man now.

Edit: Heres a pic of what's in stock.  But I can have anything else in a week.  The three in that bbq set on the right are awesome.  I used that filet knife to trim a brisket yesterday, and the big slicer about an hour ago to serve it.  The little honisuki is great for tomatos, apple, and other things I used to use a paring for.  The kiritsukis are incredible.  I have used my flexible filet yet, but I will on Thanksgiving for sure.

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    $ for Premier 8” chefs knife? Any nikiri in stock?