Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kroger’s how do I hate thee?

Options

Comments

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    There is a Super Dooper Kroger not far from where I reside. If you drew random sections out of a fish bowl, you could not come up with a more poorly laid out store. I do like their speciality cheese section though.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,170
    Options
    Our Kroger is the biggest in the state. They sell clothes and other crap that one doesn’t generally buy in a grocery store ( except Wally World). I’ve got a better chance of figuring out a Rubiks Cube than understanding Kroger’s layout. 
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Our Kroger is the biggest in the state. They sell clothes and other crap that one doesn’t generally buy in a grocery store ( except Wally World). I’ve got a better chance of figuring out a Rubiks Cube than understanding Kroger’s layout. 
    Must be the same foot print....or you moved close to me. ;)
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    so interesting to hear all this from consumers. I sell them stuff and, as I'm sure nobody will be too surprised, they are a hot mess internally too. Headed out there in a few weeks to work with my 3rd buyer this year. They all start the meeting with "I'm just filling in for someone else, not sure if I will be here next time you visit or have a job after next month"

Nothing we do in these meetings matters as someone else will be in charge (or filling in) next time we go. Just trying to keep in contact in case they ever figure it out. They went through a massive buyout, restructure and it has been like a bomb went off over there. We don't have their stores here but I'm not surprised to see they are disorganized at the store level based on what I see at corporate
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
      They own Fred Meyer, we had one in where I grew up in Alaska, home goods, clothes, sporting, groceries, jewelry, like a nicer walmart.  
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,336
    Options
    Bloomington has different level's of Kroger's. We have a ghetto-Kroger which always has a cop working inside, The standard "run  of the mill" Kroger, and then what we call Gucci-Kroger. Massive store with Prime 28 day dry aged beef. It's still crappy meat compared to the butcher shop that's 300 yards down the street
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    This is somewhat of a tangent on this thread, but I hope you folks will permit it given that the consensus now safely appears to be that Kroger is a cluster-f*ck.   

My question is: have any grocery stores developed apps that basically tell you where certain items are likely to be stocked?  Or even if they have any left on the shelf?  Seems to me in this day and age the technology is all there to enable this kind of thing.  At minimum I'd love to see this for say Costco or Home Despot.  I have heard that Walmart has something like this, but I hardly ever go there so I have no idea if they've actually developed something that works well.    
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • ColtsFan
    Options
    This is somewhat of a tangent on this thread, but I hope you folks will permit it given that the consensus now safely appears to be that Kroger is a cluster-f*ck.   

My question is: have any grocery stores developed apps that basically tell you where certain items are likely to be stocked?  Or even if they have any left on the shelf?  Seems to me in this day and age the technology is all there to enable this kind of thing.  At minimum I'd love to see this for say Costco or Home Despot.  I have heard that Walmart has something like this, but I hardly ever go there so I have no idea if they've actually developed something that works well.    
    I'll occasionally use the Kroger ClickList app and they give a location (aisle/section#) on a given product. I think this is more for the employee to find said item since I can't recall seeing anything actually labeled that way in the store

• GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    so interesting to hear all this from consumers. I sell them stuff and, as I'm sure nobody will be too surprised, they are a hot mess internally too. Headed out there in a few weeks to work with my 3rd buyer this year. They all start the meeting with "I'm just filling in for someone else, not sure if I will be here next time you visit or have a job after next month"

Nothing we do in these meetings matters as someone else will be in charge (or filling in) next time we go. Just trying to keep in contact in case they ever figure it out. They went through a massive buyout, restructure and it has been like a bomb went off over there. We don't have their stores here but I'm not surprised to see they are disorganized at the store level based on what I see at corporate
    That's interesting. Our store is also the largest in the state (or it was when built). It was a new build not a rehab. The store is now about 4 years old and went through an upgrade (clothes mainly, and not bad, Carhart etc.) about 2 years ago. I thought the store was pretty organized after that. Then they went through a complete rearrange and it is the biggest fustercluck you will ever see in a grocery.
  • ColtsFan
    edited November 2018
    Options
    I take that back. Looks like the app gives you the aisle number

• GrillSgt
    Options
    ColtsFan said:

I'll occasionally use the Kroger ClickList app and they give a location (aisle/section#) on a given product. I think this is more for the employee to find said item since I can't recall seeing anything actually labeled that way in the store
    That would work for a locator though. Thanks.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

Home Despot will tell you where an item is located and how many are in stock. I just use their website. Slowes does it also. 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options

Home Despot will tell you where an item is located and how many are in stock. I just use their website. Slowes does it also. 
    Actually it looks as though they have an app that is designed to provide this functionality in a slightly more user-friendly way.  I just found that online.  Looks pretty slick.  
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,610
    Options
    We don’t have a Kroger-branded store in Austin.  But, they own a crap ton of brands, some they seem to have left alone for now at least.  I’ve been in a few of these owned brands and they don’t typically match what people are saying about Kroger.

Grocery retailer, originally founded 1883 by Barney Kroger. Kroger operates more than 2,500 stores under more than two dozen different banners. In addition to Kroger Stores, its groceries include Cala Foods, City Markets, Copps, Dillons, FoodsCo, Fred Meyer Stores, Fry's, King Soopers, Mariano's Fresh Market, Metro Market, Pick 'n Save, Quality Food Centers (a.k.a. QFC), Ralphs, Food 4 Less, and Smith's Food and Drug. Also owns Barclay, Fox's, Fred Meyer, and Littman jewelers, and Kwik Shop, Loaf 'N Jug, and Quik Stop convenience stores.

• GrillSgt
    Options
    And that worked. The first thing I checked was gluten free crackers, aisle 31. Fuqin cookie aisle.
  • DoubleEgger
    Options

Actually it looks as though they have an app that is designed to provide this functionality in a slightly more user-friendly way.  I just found that online.  Looks pretty slick.  
    I try to stay away from apps as much as possible because they generally want access to other things like your address book. The Roomba app is notorious for it. 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    Options

Wegmans has.  These are a couple of screenshots from my shopping list - aisle or department listing.  The app also integrates their store coupons, allowing you to see what items are eligible and add them directly to your list.  It also integrates their recipe magazine, and your shopper card, so you can scan your phone.  They’re pushing hard into your area, Raleigh opening next year and Chapel Hill and Cary planned beyond that.  Once you see one, you’ll see why it is easily the best grocery store in the country.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• alaskanassasin
    alaskanassasin Posts: 7,646
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Tried clicklist, what a joke, the people picking have no idea what they are doing and they don’t have half the crap in store that you add to your list.

Two examples, I put a pork butt on clicklist and the substituted a pork chop.  The last time we did clicklist, I don’t remember the exact amounts but we put a 26lb dog food on the list for something like $30, the picker brought us two 12lb bags at $20 each.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Tried clicklist, what a joke, the people picking have no idea what they are doing and they don’t have half the crap in store that you add to your list.

Two examples, I put a pork butt on clicklist and the substituted a pork chop.  The last time we did clicklist, I don’t remember the exact amounts but we put a 26lb dog food on the list for something like $30, the picker brought us two 12lb bags at $20 each.
    I could see that. I don’t want anyone else picking out my groceries. I want to check expiration dates, pick out my own meat and produce etc. 
  • theyolksonyou
    Options

I could see that. I don’t want anyone else picking out my groceries. I want to check expiration dates, pick out my own meat and produce etc. 
    Amy used it once. It was a disaster.  Lots of subs and wrong quantities 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    Acn said:

Wegmans has.  These are a couple of screenshots from my shopping list - aisle or department listing.  The app also integrates their store coupons, allowing you to see what items are eligible and add them directly to your list.  It also integrates their recipe magazine, and your shopper card, so you can scan your phone.  They’re pushing hard into your area, Raleigh opening next year and Chapel Hill and Cary planned beyond that.  Once you see one, you’ll see why it is easily the best grocery store in the country.

Been hoping for years that Wegman's would open a store in my town and it will finally happen in April 2019!

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2018
    Options
    GrillSgt said:

Note to self, if I ever move to Louisville, KY be sure to live in the golden triangle between YogaPants Kroger, Tennis Mom Kroger and Riding Boots Kroger.....

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

Heb has that and Home Depot too. Home Depot will tell you the exact bin and shelf something is on 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • OhioEgger
    Options
    Living almost in Kroger's back yard, I guess I'm biased, but around here all the Kroger stores are good, and many are really great (including the one in my neighborhood). So I really can't see the venom some are spitting about them.
    Cincinnati, Ohio. Large BGE since 2011. Still learning.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options

The aisles are not labelled at Costco , and they usually move stuff around the store periodically. This is by design, to make you spend more time in the store looking for things you need . And picking up others that you didn't know you needed yet. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    caliking said:

The aisles are not labelled at Costco , and they usually move stuff around the store periodically. This is by design, to make you spend more time in the store looking for things you need . And picking up others that you didn't know you needed yet. 

Yeah I was reading up on that online.  I'd suggest that isn't the best strategy, except that at home I have a couple of barrels filled with pistachios that says otherwise.   
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited November 2018
    Options
    caliking said:

Yeah I was reading up on that online.  I'd suggest that isn't the best strategy, except that at home I have a couple of barrels filled with pistachios that says otherwise.   

The Kroger app does tell you that information as long as you have a store location saved. For example I can go to the app and type in San Marzano peeled tomatoes and it lets me know that its on Aisle 13 of my Kroger and also what the current sale price is.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Durangler
    Durangler Posts: 1,122
    Options
    $1.79 a bunch... cilantro?
    Yikes!!
    XL BGE, 22" Weber Red Head, Fiesta Gasser .... Peoria,AZ