Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Who Is Smoking What This Weekend?

Options
While my pork belly continues to cure for next weekend's planned cold smoke (bacon project here: https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1216469/cold-smoked-bacon-project#latest), I've got ambitious plans this weekend . . .

-- buy 2 or 3 sides of salmon today, start the cure tonight, cold smoke for lox on Sunday
-- Buy and smoke cheese so it can rest and mellow a bit before Thanksgiving (cheddar, gouda, mozz . . . others??)
-- Nuts, too, which I find do well with a bit of time to mellow.  Thinking about some bulk almonds.

What are others planning?  Share some inspiration, will ya?
It's a 302 thing . . .

Comments

• BriStarkey
    Options
    Doing a pork butt for a friendsgiving overnight tonight

LBGE bought used & one new MBGE, Weber Kettle. Looftlighter, Kick Ash Basket,

East Nasvhille

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Us Canadians will be smoking whatever we damn-well please. 

In seriousness, was thinking of sous-viding a two month wet aged brisket staring tomorrow, to be kissed with smoke and eaten on Sunday. Looking forward to it. 
  • dorfami
    Options
    This book. Smoked baked ham.

And this book. Bourbon and bacon sweet potatoes. 

Going to to watch my Cowboys get beaten badly by the cheaters from Norman, but hey, I’m used to it and the food and company will be good. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    dorfami said:
    This book. Smoked baked ham.

And this book. Bourbon and bacon sweet potatoes. 

Going to to watch my Cowboys get beaten badly by the cheaters from Norman, but hey, I’m used to it and the food and company will be good. 
    If you’re doing an APL recipe, be sure to take some time off work for the cook. 

Joking of course, but although delicious, his recipes are quite time-intensive, in my experience. 
  • dorfami
    Options

Joking of course, but although delicious, his recipes are quite time-intensive, in my experience. 
    Yes they are, but this one doesn't seem too bad.  I haven't tried the ham before, but he hasn't let me down yet and don't expect it here either. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    dorfami said:

Yes they are, but this one doesn't seem too bad.  I haven't tried the ham before, but he hasn't let me down yet and don't expect it here either. 
    Bet it will turn out great.
  • buzzvol
    buzzvol Posts: 534
    Options
    HendersonTRKing said:mozz . . . others??)

Provalon 
    Lawrenceville, GA
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,337
    Options
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker what rig gets the brisket for the class??  And you are so right-every friggin cow exercise is a learning adventure.  Always a great time. 
    I'm firing up some of those Denver lamb ribs (steered by @bgebrent) on Sunday.  Saturday is a motoring few hours- hopefully no law-enforcement interactions.
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker what rig gets the brisket for the class??  And you are so right-every friggin cow exercise is a learning adventure.  Always a great time. 
    I'm firing up some of those Denver lamb ribs (steered by @bgebrent) on Sunday.  Saturday is a motoring few hours- hopefully no law-enforcement interactions.
    I'm doing it in a bge to keep it simple. It's a BGE class but of course the cook is done at home. Thought about breaking out the dishwasher but don't feel like babysitting. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    I'm doing it in a bge to keep it simple. It's a BGE class but of course the cook is done at home. Thought about breaking out the dishwasher but don't feel like babysitting. 
    BGE for the win! Class is at 4 (have to be there at 3). Brisket was smallish (10lbs before trim) so I couldn't roll overnight. Trimmed the brisket, put it back in the fridge and fired up the egg at midnight. Got it set somewhere close to 250 and went to bed. Got up at 5, egg was locked in at 225 (it's pretty cold outside down here). Bumped the temp a tiny bit, rubbed the brisket, put it on at 5:15 and got 2 more hours of sleep. Woke up and the egg was 280 (fine in my book) and the brisket was chugging along. Sitting in the stall now but in perfect shape to hit desired target to get to class on time. I can slow roll it or speed it up as needed. i'll look at it around 1 to see how I need to finish it up. The egg sure makes it easy...
  • buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I just pulled some deer sausage, homemade italian sausage, and some deer steaks out of the freezer.  I think I'm going to run the steak through the grinder and mix it all up and make a meatloaf.
    NOLA
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options

Pork butts and breakfast fatties. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Just put a fresh ham on. We'll see how it turns out. First time.
    XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095
    Options
    Just put on a 6 pound, 4 bone chuck rib. I am not cheating with my Smobot, but I am using it.  =)
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I am going to try and recreate a stuffed pork tenderloin I saw on a @frazzdaddy post.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,040
    Options
    The three racks of ribs for me tomorrow morning.  
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • jdkeithbge
    Options
    Wings tonight.
    XL BGE, CGS AR & spider, 36" SS Blackstone, SMOBOT - Flower Mound, TX
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Y’all are making me hungry. 
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker I need to find an excuse to come to one of those classes. Sounds like fun. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    BGE for the win! Class is at 4 (have to be there at 3). Brisket was smallish (10lbs before trim) so I couldn't roll overnight. Trimmed the brisket, put it back in the fridge and fired up the egg at midnight. Got it set somewhere close to 250 and went to bed. Got up at 5, egg was locked in at 225 (it's pretty cold outside down here). Bumped the temp a tiny bit, rubbed the brisket, put it on at 5:15 and got 2 more hours of sleep. Woke up and the egg was 280 (fine in my book) and the brisket was chugging along. Sitting in the stall now but in perfect shape to hit desired target to get to class on time. I can slow roll it or speed it up as needed. i'll look at it around 1 to see how I need to finish it up. The egg sure makes it easy...
    This SOB will not finish up. 188 and crawling up. Have it wrapped and cranked to 350. TFJ had to
    leave without me to get set up. I’ll be coming in hot right before the bell! 

I think i read  something on here about the friggin cow driving the cook or something like that. 
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    Well I ended up with a pork tenderloin stuffed with prosciutto, blue cheese crumbles and honey and raging river rub.
     Unfortunately when I got home from town it was at 200 so we will see what happens but I may need to heat some tortillas  ;)
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• brownbw
    brownbw Posts: 154
    Options

Brisket flat and and pork belly burnt ends. That pork belly may have been the best thing I’ve ever cooked on my egg, and I’ve had it 8 years. 
    Opelika, AL
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    Pork tenderloin with a sour cherry sauce 

• Stucci62
    Options
    Yesterday I smoked some Horseradish Cheddar, 36 month aged cheddar, Gouda, Gryuere, and a piece of ring bologna.

Today I am throwing a 5lb Pork Butt on the BGE to experiment with.

Somewhere in central Pennsyltucky, not too far from Chocolatetown, USA.

If it's on the internet, it has to be true - Abraham Lincoln

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    First attempt at boneless skinless turkey breast coming up later today

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Tri tip. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Options
    Tri tip. 

Looks tasty. Info on sauce please. 
  • HendersonTRKing
    Options
    Salmon before cure. Lots of it.  Some with dill, too. 

It's a 302 thing . . .