Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Lavatools Javelin Pro Duo Question

Options
TEXASBGE2018
TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
edited November 2018 in EggHead Forum
Any of you fine folks that have the lavatools Javelin Pro Duo. Do any of you have the Thermapen as well and if so is the lavatools just as good? Also the main reason for my post is: Do these typically go on sale at all during the Holidays? Im thinking of picking a couple up for my father and my FIL.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    Any of you fine folks that have the lavatools Javelin Pro Duo. Do any of you have the Thermapen as well and if so is the lavatools just as good? Also the main reason for my post is: Do these typically go on sale at all during the Holidays? Im thinking of picking a couple up for my father and my FIL.
    The Thermapen MK4 just went off sale, but it will probably go again before xmas.  Don't know anything about lavatools.
    NOLA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    it's better. never going back

Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • buzd504
    Options

Javelin is better?
    NOLA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    there is s discount code on here somewhere that may still work. The lava tools guy dropped it a few months ago and my pen and pop crapped out right around the same time (4th time for the pen in 6 years). picked up a javelin pro duo which I love and the little Bluetooth square thing that i hate. The pro duo is better than the thermapen and it works on my induction cook-top without having to lift the pan off. The thermapen and pop do not work with induction so you have to turn it off or lift the pan off the magnets to get a reading. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    buzd504 said:
    The Thermapen MK4 just went off sale, but it will probably go again before xmas.  Don't know anything about lavatools.

Ya, I've had my Thermapen MK4 for about 3 months or so and although its nice, If I did it over I would never spend $90 bucks on it again. Its just not worth that much money to me. I found out about these lavatools javelin pro's a day after I placed my Thermapen order.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    I have both, Lava Tools Pro was a deal....8 months into it it's my second choice over the MK4....Back light is not very automatic ....the magnet I thought was cool I F...NG hate....good, accurate and fast but For Me, I prefer the MK4...Your Miles May Vary and just my opinion, they are both Awesome
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Javelin is better?
    it is for me. I have an induction top and it works with that where none of the Thermoworks products do. It's less than half the price of the MK4 and has more features. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited November 2018
    Options
    Ya, I just found the discount code post and it still works. I can get 2 Pro Duo's for $78 bucks.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,961
    edited November 2018
    Options
    buzd504 said:

Javelin is better?
    it is for me. I have an induction top and it works with that where none of the Thermoworks products do. It's less than half the price of the MK4 and has more features. 
    and I have  dead thermapen and dead thermopop in my drawer. The pen has been rebuilt 4X in 6 years so I figured I would grab a Javelin and see if it was any better. I love it. It's almost as cheap as a warranty rebuild on a Thermapen so I'll just grab a new one if it craps out. Can't be any worse than the pen I had. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,759
    Options
    Ya, I just found the discount code post and it still works. I can get 2 Pro Duo's for $78 bucks.
    Bargain !
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    buy with confidence. That is a score. I may buy a few for Christmas presents. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,344
    Options
    I have a couple Thermapens (old ones) and a few Javelin and Javelin Pros. I much prefer the Javelin Pro over the Thermapen. Better display, hold temp reading. Magnet allows me to hang one under the top of my stainless steel prep table so I always know where one is and can easily get to it.
    One of my Pro's is the model with the black coated probe - don't get that one. That coating seems to add enough friction that the probe doesn't slide in/out as easily. Not a big deal really but noticeable.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• TEXASBGE2018
    edited November 2018
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    One of my Pro's is the model with the black coated probe - don't get that one. That coating seems to add enough friction that the probe doesn't slide in/out as easily. Not a big deal really but noticeable.

Glad to get the heads up. I was going to buy that one for my dad. Ill stick with the standard colored ones.

• Battleborn
    Battleborn Posts: 3,355
    Options
    I have the Javelin and love it. Going on two years old and is still had accurate af the day I bought it  
    Las Vegas, NV

• buzd504
    Options
    HeavyG said:

Magnet allows me to hang one under the top of my stainless steel prep table so I always know where one is and can easily get to it.

Sold. 
    NOLA
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    post the link to the code here so other people can find it. 
  • TEXASBGE2018
    edited November 2018
    Options
    post the link to the code here so other people can find it. 

https://www.lavatools.co/discount/EGGHEAD

When I added them to my cart it already included the discount but if for some reason it doesn't when you get to the checkout page to enter your info, on the right hand side you can enter a discount code. In this case EGGHEAD

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Options
    I have both. So far, my T-pen hasn't failed, except the case is cracked where the probe pivots. Also, it doesn't always turn on when I open it (sometimes have to close and reopen). Both read the same temps.

My T-pen is an earlier model and has no backlight or magnet and the display doesn't rotate. I like those features and the Javelin as them.

Very pleased with the Javelin Pro, especially for half the price of a T-pen. Also, in light of CT's comments about the frequency and cost of T-pen repairs. Still, my T-pen is about 8 years old and still works. Bought the Jav 5-6 months ago so who knows.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    Options
    Could someone here explain to this mechanical engineer why a thermocouple won't work in a magnetic field (induction cooktop)?  I'm not understanding.   

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• TEXASBGE2018
    Options
    Botch said:
    Could someone here explain to this mechanical engineer why a thermocouple won't work in a magnetic field (induction cooktop)?  I'm not understanding.   

well you see the jiggawatt's on the flux capac....Isn't that what Doc Brown called them in Back to the Future, a jiggawatt? That's gotta bug the shite outta someone like JIC or you.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:
    if mine would turn on I would send you a pic :) to be fair, mine won't work on a coil or gas stove anymore either
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Here it is straight from them:

John, 

I am sorry that you are experiencing that problem. Again from our tests this is not a wide spread problem and only occurs in some models of induction cook tops. An easy solution is to simply lift your pan off the cook top or turn off the cook top and take a quick temperature. The ThermoPop has a quick response time of 5-6 seconds allowing you to take an accurate temperature in a very short amount of time. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you, 

Josh Phillips
    Technical Support
    741 E. Utah Valley Dr.
    American Fork, UT 84003
    toll-free: 800.393.6434
    ph: 801.756.7705
    josh.phillips@thermoworks.com
    www.thermoworks.com

• Spillin
    Options
    FYI the discount code is EGGHEAD.  15% off and it still works for those who are looking to purchase
    LG BGE
    36" Blackstone
    Weber Genisis
    Cold IPA on tap!
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    Watch for them on the website Massdrop. Yes you need to sign up for it. Legit site. I've bought two from them. The first time they were $29 and the second time was $32. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,025
    Options
    WeberWho said:
    Watch for them on the website Massdrop. Yes you need to sign up for it. Legit site. I've bought two from them. The first time they were $29 and the second time was $32. 
    Piggy back off each other when they come back to the website and you get $10 off when referring a friend. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    I love my MK4, had it for years and never experienced a single problem. But if you can get a similar product at half the cost no complaints there. 
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,467
    edited November 2018
    Options

John,  

I am sorry that you are experiencing that problem. Again from our tests this is not a wide spread problem and only occurs in some models of induction cook tops. An easy solution is to simply lift your pan off the cook top or turn off the cook top and take a quick temperature. The ThermoPop has a quick response time of 5-6 seconds allowing you to take an accurate temperature in a very short amount of time. Please let me know if you have any other questions.

Thank you, 

Josh Phillips
    Technical Support

Thanks, that tells us how to skirt around the problem, but not why it happens. This is going to keep me up tonight....

EDIT:  Okay, I just let my ThermaPen stabilize, and waved a frig magnet past the tip, in all three axes, and the temp didn't fluctuate.  Granted, an induction stove probably has a much denser magnetic field....

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Botch said:

John,  

Thank you, 

Josh Phillips
    Technical Support

Thanks, that tells us how to skirt around the problem, but not why it happens. This is going to keep me up tonight....

EDIT:  Okay, I just let my ThermaPen stabilize, and waved a frig magnet past the tip, in all three axes, and the temp didn't fluctuate.  Granted, an induction stove probably has a much denser magnetic field....
    It didnt change the temp.  The display went to XXX and reset itself every time it got close to my stove when it was on 
  • minniemoh
    minniemoh Posts: 2,145
    Options
    One dead backlit Thermapen in the drawer. Threw away the non-backlit after it just quit working. I tried new batteries and still no-go. Probes were always hard to open. One of them was so tight it would bend if you weren't careful. Both were sent in for repair more than once.

I now have two Jav Pro Duos and they both work great. I've had one for a year and a half and have experienced no issues. I'm a convert.
    L x2, M, S, Mini and a Blackstone 36. She says I have enough now....
    eggAddict from MN!
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    minniemoh said:
    One dead backlit Thermapen in the drawer. Threw away the non-backlit after it just quit working. I tried new batteries and still no-go. Probes were always hard to open. One of them was so tight it would bend if you weren't careful. Both were sent in for repair more than once.

I now have two Jav Pro Duos and they both work great. I've had one for a year and a half and have experienced no issues. I'm a convert.
    Almost the exact same situation as me.