Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Best temp controller?

considering getting a temp controller for my large BGE. Would like to be able to monitor via Wifi. What is everyone’s recommendation?

Comments

• ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,331
    I use a flameboss 300. The 400 model is out and the price is considerably cheaper. Lots of strong options 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Flameboss!!

I sell them so it can be said I'm biased, but I can sell any of them I choose......flameboss is the best, so that's what I sell.  I used to be a dealer for three other brands, all of of which I no longer carry because of all the technical and warranty issues with the manufacturer. 
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,749
    Flameboss is my next buy @stlcharcoal hooked me up a while back but wasn’t ready ...I have a Stoker now  but not being Tech Savy I’ll never use all it’s features 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Agree 100% with EVERYTHING @RRP said! I bought the same original Guru, finally gave it to my daughter, went through the DigiQ...and I have fallen in love with SmoBot. Watching the lever open and close the mechanism is hypnotizing, and it requires no constant checking!
    Judy in San Diego
  • Kent8621
    Kent8621 Posts: 843
    edited November 2018
    i have the FB300 and it works great for me.  i do a lot of cooking for our office events and i can watch it from my desk and run home and take stuff off as needed.  it has always worked really well for me.

edit - i think the 500 comes out later this year and is a better version.  the 400 only has 1 meat probe so if you'll think you want more maybe hold out till the new 500 comes out or if your ok with the older version that is used i am sure people will be selling there 300's when the new one comes out, myself included. 

2 Large Eggs - Raleigh, NC

Boiler Up!!

• stlcharcoal
    Kent8621 said:
    i have the FB300 and it works great for me.  i do a lot of cooking for our office events and i can watch it from my desk and run home and take stuff off as needed.  it has always worked really well for me.

edit - i think the 500 comes out later this year and is a better version.  the 400 only has 1 meat probe so if you'll think you want more maybe hold out till the new 500 comes out or if your ok with the older version that is used i am sure people will be selling there 300's when the new one comes out, myself included. 
    The 500 will be an upgraded version of the 300.  Bigger screen, more ports (no y adapters) , new mounting bracket, etc.  

I thought it was going to be on the 400 platform, but it's not.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,095

I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Kent8621
    Kent8621 said:

The 500 will be an upgraded version of the 300.  Bigger screen, more ports (no y adapters) , new mounting bracket, etc.  

I thought it was going to be on the 400 platform, but it's not.
    thanks Jonathon, i appreciate it.  

Boiler Up!!

• 510BG
    510BG Posts: 189
    Smobot looks nice. I wonder if @reinhart36 would consider a groupbuy or discount code for egghead members. 😬
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Smobot has many advantages. It is easy to install attested to by me getting it right on first try. Customer service is great. I have asked a question by email twice and received a phone call within minutes both times. Also you’re egg is not permanently changed. You will need another daisy wheel, smokeware top or the new BGE top. I follow Smobot on FB and the only issue I see occasionally is a faulty probe. I am considering ordering an extra set so a cook won’t get shut down for long. I’m glad I waited for the Smobot to be in full production before buying any controller. 
  • stlcharcoal
    GrillSgt said:
    Smobot has many advantages. It is easy to install attested to by me getting it right on first try. Customer service is great. I have asked a question by email twice and received a phone call within minutes both times. Also you’re egg is not permanently changed.
    I don't know of any controller that permanently changes the egg.  Smobot is the only one that makes you have additional equipment though.......now that BGE's are shipping with the rEGGulator, they're going to have to have some sort of their own cap.  Not knocking it, just saying that's kind of a disadvantage that you can't just take it out of the box and use it (without having to repurpose the DMFT.)
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    The Smobot damper is easy to adjust manually.  So you really don’t have to get another top. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    we carry four controller brands in our store and when folks ask us about controllers, we ask one simple question.....are you a computer, network guy.  if the answer is yes, then without question, a wifi controller is your game. if not, then wifi is a judgement call. 

the most basic way to control grill temps is the pitmasterIQ 110 for $140.  It's only pit control, no food probes, isn't fancy wifi but it does what most people want, control the grill's temperature.  up from the 110, the variety of methods and prices are wide. 

I would drop the extra $10 and get the egg genius over the flame boss 400.  Basic same parts and such except, the extra 10 spot gets you multi-probe capability.

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    The Smobot damper is easy to adjust manually.  So you really don’t have to get another top. 
    So you can adjust the Smobot to fit the new BGE top/rEGGulator that comes on the new Eggs?

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,733
    the best temp controller was the original guru, no wires, no fan, no electricity, no wifi.  just put it on top and walk away.  must have had a patent conflict or theres more money with wires ;)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • Kent8621
    tjv said:
    we carry four controller brands in our store and when folks ask us about controllers, we ask one simple question.....are you a computer, network guy.  if the answer is yes, then without question, a wifi controller is your game. if not, then wifi is a judgement call. 

the most basic way to control grill temps is the pitmasterIQ 110 for $140.  It's only pit control, no food probes, isn't fancy wifi but it does what most people want, control the grill's temperature.  up from the 110, the variety of methods and prices are wide. 

I would drop the extra $10 and get the egg genius over the flame boss 400.  Basic same parts and such except, the extra 10 spot gets you multi-probe capability.

what is the egg genius i haven't see that before?

Boiler Up!!

• stlcharcoal
    Kent8621 said:
    tjv said:

It's a green FB400 that you can use y-adapters to add extra probes to.  I believe it comes with one less draft door adapter as well since it only fits BGEs.
  • mEGG_My_Day
    Photo Egg said:
    So you can adjust the Smobot to fit the new BGE top/rEGGulator that comes on the new Eggs?

No - What I meant is once you install the Smobot on the old daisy wheel top, you can leave it there and you don't need another top.  If you don't want to plug in and use the Smobot as a controller, you can still adjust airflow manually with the Smobot damper.

I am guessing that Smobot is working on an adapter/damper for the new rEGGulator based on Eric's recent request for dimensions.
    Memphis, TN 

• MattBTI
    MattBTI Posts: 417
    Fireboad. Great 6 channel thermo with wifi and bluetooth connectivity that's made in Kansas City. Works on it's own or paired with a phone and can add a blower for temp control. 

You can monitor temps remotely with it without using the blower components and later add the blower if you feel necessary...honestly though, I'd learn the dynamics of the egg without it first. Controllers are super handy....but not necessary for great results. Plus the blower can be used on a stick burner, if you desire, when your not egging. 

Pratt, KS
  • RajunCajun
    RajunCajun Posts: 1,035
    I've had a guru for many years and bought a Smobot for the heck of it.  Smobot is the bomb for its simplistic approach and outstanding customer service.  I know a few ppl the FBs...most are considering doing what I did and replacing with a Bot.  Just do it and stop wasting time deliberating.
    The problem with a problem is that you don't know it's a problem until it's a problem, and that is a big problem.
    Holding the company together with three spreadsheets and two cans connected by a long piece of string.
  • MattBTI said:
    Fireboad. Great 6 channel thermo with wifi and bluetooth connectivity that's made in Kansas City. Works on it's own or paired with a phone and can add a blower for temp control. 

You can monitor temps remotely with it without using the blower components and later add the blower if you feel necessary...honestly though, I'd learn the dynamics of the egg without it first. Controllers are super handy....but not necessary for great results. Plus the blower can be used on a stick burner, if you desire, when your not egging. 

I have to agree, I love the my fireboard.  It's been rock solid for me so far over about 20 cooks.  I love the fact that there are so many probs, so I can monitor a couple different spots on a brisket at the same time. 
    Toronto, ON - Large
  • tjv
    tjv Posts: 3,830
    Kent8621 said:
    tjv said:

It's a green FB400 that you can use y-adapters to add extra probes to.  I believe it comes with one less draft door adapter as well since it only fits BGEs.
    In a nutshell, EGG and BBQ Guru parted ways, Flame Boss stepped in and is now supplying EGG with a temp controller.  As stlcharcoal said, EGG's version provides multi meat capability with the Y adapter and extra meat probes. 

I did a facebook live show couple weeks ago on flame boss, egg genius, pitmasteriq 110 and kamado joe ikammand. it's up on our facebook page. 

you can check out site for more info and pricing on the units. 

www.ceramicgrillstore.com ACGP, Inc.
  • whldch
    whldch Posts: 126
    Without trying to confuse the issue, I love my Guru. The newest version works amazingly well. I have used it for 9-10 hour cooks and have kept temps within 5 degrees, easy wifi monitoring.
  • Kent8621
    tjv said:
    Kent8621 said:
    tjv said:

In a nutshell, EGG and BBQ Guru parted ways, Flame Boss stepped in and is now supplying EGG with a temp controller.  As stlcharcoal said, EGG's version provides multi meat capability with the Y adapter and extra meat probes. 

I did a facebook live show couple weeks ago on flame boss, egg genius, pitmasteriq 110 and kamado joe ikammand. it's up on our facebook page. 

thanks guys, i will check it out i think my wife still has a facebook account.

Boiler Up!!

• It sounds like there are plenty of good options and I won't argue against any that I have no experience with myself. I will just add that I have been pleased with the simplicity and reliability of the Smotbot.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Kent8621 said:
    tjv said:
    Kent8621 said:
    tjv said:

thanks guys, i will check it out i think my wife still has a facebook account.
    Looks like you don’t need an account to view their FB videos.  We don’t do Facebook so it really irks me when I go to a company’s link and it’s a FB page that you have to be signed in to see.  So at least CGS is viewable for all.

If I ran a business I’d post any FB video content to a YouTube channel as well for the non social media folks out there, more and more people are ditching FB these days.  Same thing has happened with photographers at mountain bike races I’ve participated in using Instagram and I couldn’t view the content.  I didn’t buy a photo from them because I couldn’t see them.  
  • tjv said:
    Kent8621 said:
    tjv said:

Thanks just watched. Any reason for not including the smobot?  Curious between it and the egg model
  • mEGG_My_Day
    tjv said:
    Kent8621 said:
    tjv said:

A little off topic - but I love the @tjv shows.  Thanks for doing them.
    Memphis, TN