Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Denver Lamb Ribs

bgebrent
bgebrent Posts: 19,636
Been wanting to try these since @smokingal posted some and turned me onto a source.  This was my first swing with these.  I made a paste (Chris Lilly's) out of oregano, thyme, rosemary, salt, pepper, paprika, garlic powder, ginger, soy sauce and olive oil.  Rubbed the ribs in this and smoked em for 3 1/2 hours at 250 with a chunk of apple wood.  Then I sauced one of them and kept them on another 20 minutes.

The substantial fat fat cap keeps these nice and juicy.  I preferred the sauced rack but for me, as much as I love lamb, these were just ok.  I’ll keep experimenting with these. Cheers.
Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga

Comments

• smokingal
    smokingal Posts: 1,025
    @bgebrent The ribs look awesome!  I've certainly had my share of lamb ribs that I found to be "just ok" and I've preferred sauced lamb ribs over the standard dry rub from previous cooks.  I'm contemplating doing a long standing dry rub brine and/or an injection to see how that might help to infuse more flavor and promote tenderness.
    It's "Smokin Gal", not "Smoking Al".
    Egging in the Atlanta GA region
    Large BGE, CGS setup, Kick Ash Basket, Smokeware SS Cap,
    Arteflame grill grate

http://barbecueaddict.com
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Those look pretty damn good from here!! Much meatier than the ones I’ve found recently.

I seasoned mine with a dry rub of gochugaru, coriander, cumin, and kosher salt. Found that they were too rich to eat as ribs, but were excellent as a sort of condiment meat - ramen, pizza, breakfast tacos, etc. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • jabam
    jabam Posts: 1,829
    Those look damn fine. What IT did you cook them to. 
    Central Valley CA     One large egg One chocolate lab "Halle" two chiuahuas "Skittles and PeeWee"
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,167
    @bgebrent - I realize it is Sat night, UK lost but Purdue won (so I figure a house-hold draw with you on the lucky end  ;)  ).  All that aside, could you either post or PM me the lamb rib source once you surface??
    I am with you in the lamb camp and am looking to give these a run.
    In advance- Thanks-
    And that round ball game Tues is gonna be quite a show.
    Cheers-
    Cap
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • bgebrent
    jabam said:
    Those look damn fine. What IT did you cook them to. 
    I actually cooked by time.  One rack was at 186 and the other at 196.  Both were juicy.  Thanks.
  • bgebrent
    lousubcap said:
    @bgebrent - I realize it is Sat night, UK lost but Purdue won (so I figure a house-hold draw with you on the lucky end  ;)  ).  All that aside, could you either post or PM me the lamb rib source once you surface??
    I am with you in the lamb camp and am looking to give these a run.
    In advance- Thanks-
    And that round ball game Tues is gonna be quite a show.
    Cheers-
    Cap
    Frank, PM to follow.  UK-GA turned out as expected.  I’m ok with it.  Purdue with another great win!  Waiting on the AL-LSU game.  Especially waiting on Tuesday,!!

Thanks Cap.
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    But you're not in Denver?
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • lousubcap
    @bgebrent came thru in fine fashion-I will not post in the "what are you buying now" thread as I just took care of that.  Looking forward to giving these a go and will let all know.

Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Well your "OK" looks Damn good from my seat. :clap:
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • bgebrent
    Well your "OK" looks Damn good from my seat. :clap:
    Thanks Blake!
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    Nice work brother. 
  • bgebrent
    Nice work brother. 
    Thanks for the assist.  They have more meat than was readily apparent.  A work in progress.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,125
    bgebrent said:
    Nice work brother. 
    Thanks for the assist.  They have more meat than was readily apparent.  A work in progress.
    I noticed that. Let me know when you nail it and we’ll come over for dinner  =)
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Those look delicious. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Dobie
    Dobie Posts: 3,354
    Never had that but wish I did. Looks killer from here. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    They look amazing!
    I love lamb pops but it trim the fat tight. I don’t like lamb fat. I know it’s an acquired taste but I just can’t make it work.
    Not sure I could handle ribs.
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    Photo Egg said:
    They look amazing!
    I love lamb pops but it trim the fat tight. I don’t like lamb fat. I know it’s an acquired taste but I just can’t make it work.
    The fat cap was too much and I pulled it off.  It did however keep the ribs moist after a 4 hour L & S.  Next go round I’m gonna trim the fat cap and see what I get.  Thanks.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    bgebrent said:
    Photo Egg said:
    They look amazing!
    The fat cap was too much and I pulled it off.  It did however keep the ribs moist after a 4 hour L & S.  Next go round I’m gonna trim the fat cap and see what I get.  Thanks.
    Please ping me when you do
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    bgebrent said:
    Photo Egg said:
    They look amazing!
    I trimmed most of the fat cap off, and they still turned out tender and moist. Rendered the trimmings down and add to rice, veg, etc. for a little oomph. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • SGH
    SGH Posts: 28,791
    @bgebrent
    Looks like a winner to me brother. Awesome job :clap:

Location- Just "this side" of Biloxi, Ms.

Status- Standing by.

The greatest barrier against all wisdom, the stronghold against knowledge itself, is the single thought, in ones mind, that they already have it all figured out. 

• blind99
    blind99 Posts: 4,971
    Your standards are just too high. Those look fantastic! We rarely see lamb ribs here but sometimes get some unusual lava lake stuff that’s really good.  Where’s you find those?
    Chicago, IL - Large and Small BGE - Weber Gasser and Kettle
  • bgebrent
    blind99 said:
    Your standards are just too high. Those look fantastic! We rarely see lamb ribs here but sometimes get some unusual lava lake stuff that’s really good.  Where’s you find those?
    PM sent brother.  Thanks!
  • What @NPHuskerFL said ... :D 
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------
    | Cooking and blogging with a Large and Minimax in deepest, darkest England-shire
    | My food blog ... BGE and other stuff ... http://www.thecooksdigest.co.uk
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------

• bgebrent
    What @NPHuskerFL said ... :D 
    Thank you sir!  I must however caution you about quoting Blake lest you find yourself shirtless in a cooking post =).  On the forum.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    I tried doing these once before, and I did trim the fat way down, about 75%. 5 hours at 225F, but I wrapped them with a mixture of white wine, cider, and butter for two hours.
    Not the greatest lamb dish I ever made, but for our son, He really enjoyed them.
    There is a butcher shop, not too far from home, that I source them from occasionally, when they have them.
    Yours looked much better than mine ever do. What ever we do not finish, we pull for gyros
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • lousubcap
    As mentioned above-today I gave the lamb ribs a go.  No surgeon here but I gave a good trimming to the cap (thanks @bgebrent).  Even with that they had a whole lot of fat, and not just with the cap.  They arrived two to a pack so I went with a rosemary, thyme and garlic paste (olive oil binder-same as I use on the racks) and sauced one for the final 15 minutes.  The lamb flavor was great but definitely a work in progress to mitigate the fat content.  I went with a low-octane sauce and did not think it added anything.  I will change up the sauce next time.  Couple of pics:
    Even fired up the diamond plate:
    If you really like lamb I would give these a go but not if you are ambivalent.
    Thanks for lookin'.
  • Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    @lousubcap, try red eye express from Dizzy Pig. No affiliation at all, but as a fellow lover of lamb I will give full credit where credit is due, and they nailed that one to go with lamb. Just something to consider. 
    --------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • bgebrent
    lousubcap said:
    As mentioned above-today I gave the lamb ribs a go.  No surgeon here but I gave a good trimming to the cap (thanks @bgebrent).  Even with that they had a whole lot of fat, and not just with the cap.  They arrived two to a pack so I went with a rosemary, thyme and garlic paste (olive oil binder-same as I use on the racks) and sauced one for the final 15 minutes.  The lamb flavor was great but definitely a work in progress to mitigate the fat content.  I went with a low-octane sauce and did not think it added anything.  I will change up the sauce next time.  Couple of pics:
    Even fired up the diamond plate:
    If you really like lamb I would give these a go but not if you are ambivalent.
    Thanks for lookin'.
    Thanks for the post Cap!  I find myself aligned with you thus far.  I’ve got a few more attempts ahead.  
    They look really good.