Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When a family member gets sucked in to a MLM

Options

Comments

• Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Options
    Legume said:
    This is crack for stay at home moms.  Turns Starbucks and hanging out into “working” opportunities.  Positive, motivational messaging, good, well-researched products to improve your quality of life and discounts!
    I was involved in something similar in college.

I found that cocaine and amphetamines were like crack for frat boys and sorority girls.  It turned partying and hanging out into sales opportunities.  My product was well researched and improved the quality of lives, but only temporarily.  I established a good down line and my down line established good downlines., increasing my sales twenty-fold quickly.

I realized it was time to have a going out of business sale when about 6 weeks into a semester 2 new 'students' showed up in a 12 student grad level course and began aggressively seeking to purchase large quantities of product.

• Sea2Ski
    Sea2Ski Posts: 4,088
    Options
    If she starts talking about “essential” oils, run! 
    The D.I.L sells those.
    Snake oil.
    But she is making a killing because she got in years ago, stuck with it, got a few others who were passionate and they became the workers etc.. Now she is near the top of "her" pyramid. I think she is somewhere near 100K this year. Knowing their situation and what they have, I believe it.
    Insane.
    I do not support it.
    I do not believe in them.
    I think it is a scam.
    We have had "discussions" about it, and they have ended by agreeing to disagree.
    But I can not deny that she is making a lot of money for the amount of effort put in.

I can not help but believe that the bottom will fall out one day. Honestly, I am surprised it already hasn't.  ....like months and months ago.

--------------------------------------------------
    Burning lump in Downingtown, PA or diesel in Cape May, NJ.
    ....just look for the smoke!
    Large and MiniMax
    --------------------------------------------------

Caliking said:   Meat in bung is my favorite. 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,381
    Options
    As long as you can attract the bottom-feeder recruits you can survive and advance.  But I agree, the pond runs dry after a while.  @Sea2Ski As P.T. Barnum is alleged to have said, "There is a sucker born every minute."  Who knows...
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Amway
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,627
    Options
    Amway
    As I recall, Amway just sold soap and household cleaning goods when they started, and for years after.  Not sure what they do now, but I don’t think it used to be a scam, they just developed a different sales and distribution, like Avon or MaryKay did when they copied the model.  Selling snake oil is a whole different ballgame.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    Options
    Seems every housewife outside the perimeter here in Atlanta is peddling Rodan & Fields makeup or Essential Oils. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I think there are a couple of indicators of a scam:

1) products are way overpriced compared to what you can buy elsewhere;
    2) products are of questionable value all by themselves;
    3) company is run by people who used to run other scams.

I’m sure there are more, but those to me are some of the obvious red flags.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,088
    Options

A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

When approached, I find it best to mock relentlessly.  This greatly reduces future pressure to join up.
    Phoenix 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Is there still time to get in on the 30% off?
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Is there still time to get in on the 30% off?
     =) 
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    blasting said:

When approached, I find it best to mock relentlessly.  This greatly reduces future pressure to join up.
    This is generally my approach as well, but I would like to remain on speaking terms with my brother.
  • Legume
    Options
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Legume said:
    Pruvit didn’t even make the top 15 most hated from this journalistic heavyweight.

https://www.cheatsheet.com/money-career/the-15-most-hated-multi-level-marketing-companies-right-now.html/

You’ve got to admire some of the names.  I mean, who wouldn’t buy a product called “It Works!” ?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    I got sucked into a MLM once. Now I have six big green eggs. 
    Yeah, but how many have you sold?  I’m up to four of those myself.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    Lol, only 3. But they were three of my own. Most of my friends are part of the pellet cooker MLM.  
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Lol, only 3. But they were three of my own. Most of my friends are part of the pellet cooker MLM.  
    It’s because they sell them at Costco, we know Utahns love buying in bulk. 
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    We did Isogenix for a while. Then they started sending shake mix without asking. Then they started sending shake mix after asking not to send anymore. 

Then we tried to cancel our “membership” altogether. 

And they sent again. And charged the card again. 

Finally got someone on the phone and wouldn't hang up until I very angrily stopped the shakes. 

Jesus. So many shakes ....  still drinking shakes..

anyone want some shakes???
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,088
    Options
    Anybody interested in getting in on the ground floor of an opportunity? 3'x5' Trump flags from China.  $0.50/unit.  We can sell them easily for $10/unit.

https://m.alibaba.com/product/60784052502/Trump-2020-President-Keep-America-Great.html?spm=a2706.7843299.1998817009.15.591b364bptL3tI
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Legume
    Options
    I think everyone down here already has them John.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,303
    Options
    We did Isogenix for a while. Then they started sending shake mix without asking. Then they started sending shake mix after asking not to send anymore. 

Then we tried to cancel our “membership” altogether. 

And they sent again. And charged the card again. 

Finally got someone on the phone and wouldn't hang up until I very angrily stopped the shakes. 

Jesus. So many shakes ....  still drinking shakes..

anyone want some shakes???
    Sometimes it's best to "lose" the credit card and get a new one with a new number. Sure cuts down on those auto charges. I misplaced the wallet in a pile of laundry back around July this year. Not all accounts got the new number.
  • Judy Mayberry
    Options
    @MaskedMarvel: I had one of those companies who wouldn't stop sending, so I called my credit card company and that took care of EVERYTHING.
    Judy in San Diego
  • MaskedMarvel
    MaskedMarvel Posts: 3,142
    Options
    Our problem wasn’t with the person we signed up though. Not the actual PRODUCT. Just — DAMN — the sheer volume they tried to force on you was immense. 
    Large BGE and Medium BGE
    36" Blackstone - Greensboro!

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    thetrim said:
    Hmmm, all this time I figured @JohnInCarolina was a double black diamond for Roccboxx
    Shhhh!   Shush it!!!
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Legume said:
    Amway
    As I recall, Amway just sold soap and household cleaning goods when they started, and for years after.  Not sure what they do now, but I don’t think it used to be a scam, they just developed a different sales and distribution, like Avon or MaryKay did when they copied the model.  Selling snake oil is a whole different ballgame.
    They were one of the original MLM's, branched out to selling much more in the mid 70's. Products were overpriced and of questionable quality in my opinion. Only the upper echelons of the pyramid made money. Not sure if they are around anymore but you don;t seem to hear about them.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options
    Anybody ever here of Team National?  I've got someone trying to get me into that.  Seems sketchy, as it's very heavy on signing up new people.....not the discounts.  
  • johnkitchens
    johnkitchens Posts: 5,227
    Options
    Legume said:
    Amway
    They were one of the original MLM's, branched out to selling much more in the mid 70's. Products were overpriced and of questionable quality in my opinion. Only the upper echelons of the pyramid made money. Not sure if they are around anymore but you don;t seem to hear about them.
    When I was a kid the Amway craze hit our community. Almost everywhere you went in town, grocery store, hardware store, gas station, etc. someone was wanting to talk to you about joining up and pimping their products. 

Very annoying. 

Louisville, GA - 2 Large BGE's