Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

When a family member gets sucked in to a MLM

That’s a multi-level marketing scheme for the uninitiated.  I had somehow managed to avoid finding out about these... until today.

This is my sister in law.  Uggh.  Not sure exactly what to do about this but as you can imagine it’s probably not going to end well.  The wife and I are just assuming we’ll be receiving ketone supplements for Christmas.  Or maybe we’ll receive *discounts* on supplements.
"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    You had never heard of MLM before today? 
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,181
    Well that in-law connection could play heavily in this gig.  I'm sure you don't know where she is positioned in the food-chain heirachy but it's her deal.  I would let SWMBO offer the first shot.  Arm's length transactions may still be too close.  =)
    But all in a pre-Halloween entertainment evening!
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • You had never heard of MLM before today? 
    I knew them by the more precise name of “pyramid schemes.”
  • g8golfer
    g8golfer Posts: 1,025
    Good to see I’m not the only person with crazy family members 
  • Spaightlabs
    Spaightlabs Posts: 2,349
    Multi level marketing is used in many legitimate businesses and they can provide a great opportunity to create a little extra income or even incredible wealth.

If you believe that I would like to talk to you about an opportunity...

You have 2 choices.  Pizz your SIL off or change your name and move.
  • Multi level marketing is used in many legitimate businesses and they can provide a great opportunity to create a little extra income or even incredible wealth.

If you believe that I would like to talk to you about an opportunity...

You have 2 choices.  Pizz your SIL off or change your name and move.
    Fortunately she does not live anywhere close to me.  But I had to mute her on FB, less I comment on one of these posts and make my brother’s life more miserable than it already is.
  • DoubleEgger
    At least she’s not peddling Jamberry
  • At least she’s not peddling Jamberry
    I’m not googling that.  I really do not want to know what that is.
  • Spaightlabs
    My SIL did/does the same thing for some scrapbooking outfit, Precious something or other I think,  She's spent dozens of thousands of dollars to make hundreds, but we have avoided a single purchase for 10 years.

She lives 1000 miles away so we don't talk often and I have thus far avoided saying anything, which is unlike me really.

Good luck.

• DoubleEgger
    At least she’s not peddling Jamberry
    I’m not googling that.  I really do not want to know what that is.
    Press on fingernails. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Clear brain? Better mood? AND less inflammation??

Sign me up. Ski flavor please. ‘coz I’m a baller, and don’t need no stinkin’ discount. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking said:
    Clear brain? Better mood? AND less inflammation??

Sign me up. Ski flavor please. ‘coz I’m a baller, and don’t need no stinkin’ discount. 
    Right? The Ski flavor sounds AMAZING!
  • Spaightlabs
    edited October 2018
    duplicate of John's thoughts...
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    They are seriously the worst.   Utah is the motherland for a lot of these.  They give lots of hope and promises usually just leave debt and burnt relationships.  

There are tons of anti mlm groups out reddit r/antimlm shares stories and real life devastation from these things.

This is an antimlm blog and real life story of how being involved in one and the consequences of it. 

https://ellebeaublog.com/poonique/
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    My FIL is a sucker for these..  2by2, juice+, really anything that makes it seem like an easy way for extra income when in reality working a $10/hr fast food job would net you more $/hr.  
  • GrateEggspectations
    GrateEggspectations Posts: 9,185
    edited October 2018
    I have great disdain for MLMs and pyramid schemes - they always rely, in a parasitic fashion, on existing social networks to make opportunistic sales, whereby the sellers pressure existing friends and family members to support them in these doomed, short term ventures. Once the seller has exhausted the existing network (enthusiasm having dwindled over time), they invariably give up on the initiative and move on to another scheme. 

I have had friends and family fall prey to such “business opportunities”. I have wanted to slap them silly time and time again. 
  • Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 18,945
    edited October 2018
    I tell them to **** off followed with links explaining why they are selling snake oil, unless it is wine. Then I just go to the parties and drink free wine. I may not value familial relationships as much as you.
    A bison’s level of aggressiveness, both physical and passive, is legendary. - NPS
  • Hahahahahaha hahahah.   My wife has a friend that is always trying to sell sh$t like this.  A couple of years ago it was wraps that magically made you lose weight.  Now it’s shakeology. Who knows what it will be next year.

My wife just tells her that she doesn’t do business with friends and she leaves her alone about it. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,326
    Our Secretary of Education (the Amway/Quixtar heiress) will tell you that not all MLM's are pyramid schemes. Only those "other ones" are.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Hahahahahaha hahahah.   My wife has a friend that is always trying to sell sh$t like this.  A couple of years ago it was wraps that magically made you lose weight.  Now it’s shakeology. Who knows what it will be next year.

My wife just tells her that she doesn’t do business with friends and she leaves her alone about it. 
    My wife today told me there’s half a dozen moms in our neighborhood pushing some product or another.  I was like... nobody realizes it’s a scam?
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    @JohnInCarolina I prefer the term triangle of wealth.   The term pyramid scheme has such a negative connotation   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• lousubcap
    @JohnInCarolina and you are still on speaking terms after that enlightening remark?? ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Sad how gullible folks are.  Knew a guy who was selling crypto currency in one of these, then was peeved when he lost money.  Risky investment to start with and then make it an mlm on top of it.
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,286
    You had never heard of MLM before today? 
    I always called it a pyramid scam.
  • Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,602
    This is crack for stay at home moms.  Turns Starbucks and hanging out into “working” opportunities.  Positive, motivational messaging, good, well-researched products to improve your quality of life and discounts!
  • lousubcap said:
    @JohnInCarolina and you are still on speaking terms after that enlightening remark?? ;)
    My own wife is thankfully not one of the people pushing frozen boiled water on her friends and neighbors.
  • I will say that looking into this particular company - PruVit - I was impressed by the lengths they’ve gone to cover up the fact that it’s a scam.  If you google “PruVit scam” - the first links that come up are sites and videos explaining how, well it might seem like a total scam, this is only because of the haters out there who think every MLM is a scam.   And that if you just work at it, you will find that actually it’s a totally legit company and in no time you’ll be driving a Ferrari around town, just like me.

• lousubcap
    Perhaps a high-end Maserati will be enticement enough-you don't have to get so far up the chain to get a Ferrari tuned engine in your daily driver  =)