Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

McRib is Back!

Back for for a limited time.  Should it stick around through the winter, that’s bad news for death row inmates who request for their last meal a McRib sandwich and a Shamrock Shake.  Historically they have never been on McDonalds menu at the same time (or so the old joke goes).
Flint, Michigan

Comments

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Yum!

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Mattman3969
    Mattman3969 Posts: 10,457

-----------------------------------------

analyze adapt overcome

2008 -Large BGE. 2013- Small BGE and 2015 - Mini. Henderson, Ky.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2018
    Read a very interesting article this week with a chart showing the addition of the McRib directly correlates with lower pork futures. McDonalds is one of the biggest commodity traders in the world when they buy futures to add the McRib to the menu. They use it when pork prices are low to drive sales and bolster margins. Smart. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,174
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker -Great insight right there.  Learn something new dang near every day around here.  Guess the damages/loss to the Carolina pig farmers following Florence hasn't had the trickle-down market effect just yet. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Never had one, but I’m open to the idea.

Wonder if it really tastes as bad as it looks. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    The Cen-Tex Smoker Posts: 22,951
    edited October 2018
    lousubcap said:
    @The Cen-Tex Smoker -Great insight right there.  Learn something new dang near every day around here.  Guess the damages/loss to the Carolina pig farmers following Florence hasn't had the trickle-down market effect just yet. 
    Takes many weeks to bring things to market (produce and buy the ads, get the signage out to the stores, make the McRibs, buy the bread etc. so they likely bought these futures several months ago if not longer. They bought long before Flo was a twinkle in Mother Nature's eye :smile:

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    It probably only tastes like the sauce they use. Blech 
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • thetrim
    thetrim Posts: 11,352
    Not until Monday here.   Got told while in the drive thru.   Dang.  Unlucky!
    =======================================
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • Read a very interesting article this week with a chart showing the addition of the McRib directly correlates with lower pork futures. McDonalds is one of the biggest commodity traders in the world when they buy futures to add the McRib to the menu. They use it when pork prices are low to drive sales and bolster margins. Smart. 
    So... hold up.  These things are actually made from pork?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Read a very interesting article this week with a chart showing the addition of the McRib directly correlates with lower pork futures. McDonalds is one of the biggest commodity traders in the world when they buy futures to add the McRib to the menu. They use it when pork prices are low to drive sales and bolster margins. Smart. 
    So... hold up.  These things are actually made from pork?
    funny enough yes. 100% pressed pork shoulder. mmmmm. There is a video out there somewhere. 
  • McDonald’s exec: we’re thinking about a rib sandwich!
    Q consultant: ...
    Exec: it’s going to be made from real pork!
    Q: so ... like a pulled pork sandwich?
    Exec: no it’ll look just like real ribs!
    Q: real ribs have bones in them.
    Exec: these will too!
    Q: 
    Exec: but they won’t be bones, they’ll be made of meat!
    Q: 
    Exec: it’ll be called the McRib!
    Q: genius.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • thetrim
    And it will taste like crap, but people will be strangely obsessed with it.
    XL 6/06, Mini 6/12, L 10/12, Mini #2 12/14 MiniMax 3/16 Large #2 11/20 Legacy from my FIL - RIP
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • xfire_ATX
    xfire_ATX Posts: 1,110
    I havent had one in years, but the oldest daughters BF has never had one so we are going to get one together.

Seriously as awful as it must be for every health reason, my memory says its an amazing meal.  Will know as soon as it hits the local store.
    XLBGE, LBGECharbroil Gas Grill, Weber Q2000, Old Weber Kettle, Yeti 65, Yeti Hopper 20, RTIC 20, RTIC 20 Soft Side - Too many drinkware vessels to mention.

Not quite in Austin, TX City Limits
    Just Vote- What if you could choose "none of the above" on an election ballot? Millions of Americans do just that, in effect, by not voting.  The result in 2016: "Nobody" won more counties, more states, and more electoral votes than either candidate for president. 
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Watch McRibs made...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nzo_3V1igIo

Todd Wilbur, how to clone...
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KLMTKoayQlM

Recipe here...
    https://topsecretrecipes.com/mcdonalds-mcrib-sandwich-copycat-recipe.html?category_id=10

All I know about Wilbur is that his KFC slaw recipe is spot on.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,128
    Why would someone want to clone a turd? 
  • Acn
    Acn Posts: 4,424
    xfire_ATX said:
    I havent had one in years, but the oldest daughters BF has never had one so we are going to get one together.
    That’s a major positive in my book.  I don’t know why you’d want to take that away from him.

LBGE

Pikesville, MD

• GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    McGrizzle
    Reminds me of a girl I dated in high school.....

I have a friend that absolutely loves the McRib...seriously. Then again, he's not what one would call the epitome of good health. I myself have not and will not ever try one. Nope. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • lwrehm
    lwrehm Posts: 381
    meh, basically a pork hotdog with BBQ sauce, pickles, and onions.  Not nearly as nasty as pineapple on pizza. 

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Why would someone want to clone a turd? 
    Dunno, never had one myself. But there are some weird people on here so ya never know. Just trying to help. =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

The amount of buzz generated by this questionable sandwich is pretty dang impressive.
    Phoenix 
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
     I love the McRib!!!!!! Just wish I could get it with a shamrock shake.   
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• DoubleEgger
    edited October 2018
    McGrizzle
    Reminds me of a girl I dated in high school.....

I have a friend that absolutely loves the McRib...seriously. Then again, he's not what one would call the epitome of good health. I myself have not and will not ever try one. Nope. 
    The fact that it’s a seasonal thing is what maintains its cult status. No way that garbage survives on the regular menu. 

Then again, it’s been a decade or so since I’ve been to McDonald’s so I’m not much to judge what’s going on over there. 
  • thetrim
    Tampa Bay, FL
    EIB 6 Oct 95
  • It's about the only time I go to McDonalds. I'm good for one every time they come out. " light on the sauce
    '.
    Hendersonville, TN.
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    What could someone possibly disagree with on my above comment? No one on here knows my past lady friends or out of shape alcoholic buddies. 

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    And I thought they just ground up pigs straight off the truck.  Impressive that they remove the bones and guts.
    You really don't taste the meat.  You taste the sauce, onions, pickles, meat, and bread in that order.
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • DoubleEgger
    Hub said:
    You really don't taste the meat.  You taste the sauce, onions, pickles, meat, and bread in that order.
    And you get the “I just ate an azzhole” aftertaste.