Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teaching kid stick shift

Options
13»

Comments

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Options
    Botch said:
    Starting on a hill is the hard part . Do that and you have it beat. 
    We learned how to hold a vehicle in place with the hand-operated parking brake, simultaneously letting up on it while the clutch was just starting to grab and we just started adding the gas, no problem.
    Now, my new car has an "electro-mechanical" parking brake, set with a damn toggle switch; wondering how that's gonna work.  
    As far as I’m concerned, ain’t no problem with using the parking brake on an uphill slope. I don’t get the new tech..
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Who remembers pushing a car and popping the clutch to start it? 
    I do.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,047
    Options
    Botch said:
    Starting on a hill is the hard part . Do that and you have it beat. 
    We learned how to hold a vehicle in place with the hand-operated parking brake, simultaneously letting up on it while the clutch was just starting to grab and we just started adding the gas, no problem.
    Now, my new car has an "electro-mechanical" parking brake, set with a damn toggle switch; wondering how that's gonna work.  
    My wife's car has an anti-roll safety feature with her manual transmission. You let the clutch out and it holds it for you for an additional second or two when on an incline. It's supposed to help you from rolling back. I hate it. I'm used to grabbing a gear and holding it on an incline if need be. I go to grab and hold the gear and it just sits there for an additional few seconds and throws me off when it does finally let up and move. Just one more lame safety feature 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,530
    Options
    Kcheves said:
    I learned in my Dad's 1969 VW beetle.  Taught my daughter in my 911.
     :open_mouth:   

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,922
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I do.
    Me too! My '56 MGA was a bit*h to start in the Winter. The parking lot in front of our fraternity house sat near a deep swell in the road. After a few times getting pledges out in the cold to push "Brother Pratt's" cold car to get it to running I was awarded a sign saying "RESERVED for Brother Pratt" at the top end of the lot so all I had to do was hop in and merely push in the clutch and that would be enough to get it rolling down the swell - pop the clutch and it fired up! 
  • Botch
    Options
    RRP said:
    bgebrent said:
    I do.
    Me too! My '56 MGA was a bit*h to start in the Winter. The parking lot in front of our fraternity house sat near a deep swell in the road. After a few times getting pledges out in the cold to push "Brother Pratt's" cold car to get it to running I was awarded a sign saying "RESERVED for Brother Pratt" at the top end of the lot so all I had to do was hop in and merely push in the clutch and that would be enough to get it rolling down the swell - pop the clutch and it fired up! 
    While stationed in Albuquerque I had a '77 VW Bus.  I actually had to push-start it twice, by myself!  Level parking lot both times, I took it out of gear and started pushing with one hand on the door frame, one on the steering wheel; once I got up to a run I hopped in, turned the key, put it into 1st and popped the clutch.  Bingo!  
    When I PCS'd to Grand Forks ND I decided a real heater would be nice, and sold Her before I moved.  I miss that Bus!  

"Tung Oil is derived from the Tung tree, but not from its tongue, but rather its nuts."  - Stumpy Nubs

• Ozzie_Isaac
    Ozzie_Isaac Posts: 19,200
    Options
    96 Dodge Dakota, inline 4 with a stick.  I raced everyone everywhere .... nobody even noticed.  Loved that truck.
    They don’t want a population of citizens capable of critical thinking. They don’t want well informed, well educated people capable of critical thinking. They’re not interested in that. That doesn’t help them. That's against their interests. - George Carlin
  • piney
    piney Posts: 1,478
    Options
    I have tractor trailers and manual transmissions are not a problem, all my trucks are 13-speed but with todays drivers most companies have gone to automatic trans. because most new drivers can't drive a manual. Sad isn't it! It's kinda like having a degree in mathematics and not being able to make change without a cash register! 
    Lenoir, N.C.
  • berndcrisp
    berndcrisp Posts: 1,166
    Options
    Now his Jeep has an upgraded security system.
    image 0

Manual trannies have stopped many car-jackings and thefts.

I learned in a '69 Toyota corolla. Never owned an automatic till I was 52. inherited from pops after he passed.

Hood Stars, Wrist Crowns and Obsession Dobs!

• CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,877
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I do.
    And watching your matches face plant on the rear window as you have selected 1st and not 2nd.  Hilarious. 
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • CPFC1905
    CPFC1905 Posts: 1,877
    Options
    It’s a skill needed if you want to rent a car in Europe. Automatics are fairly rare and expensive to rent. 
    Problem there is stick is on wrong side!
    There’s nothing more fun than renting a car in Ireland and driving the back roads... 
    Apart from renting a car in Wales or Scotland and finding they have decent roads.
    Other girls may try to take me away 
    But you know, it's by your side I will stay
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,797
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I do.
    And bike
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    Spent an entire year parking on hills and starting my '76 TA that way. 455/4spd with a zoom clutch. Compression was so high I kept trashing starters and couldn't afford the high torque model Moroso had. My dates were so impressed.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • Brisket_Fanatic
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    I do.
    This is how we stuck out in the old Capri, coast it down the street and pop the clutch and away we go. 

NW IA

2 LBGE, 1 SBGE, 22.5 WSM, 1 Smokey Joe

• Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    When I was 16 we moved from N.C. to SC. My ugly as **** 1983 Datsun pickup had sheered the teeth off the flywheel from a stick starter just before moving. First day of school I was the first to arrive so that I could park at the top of the parking lot and coast it down (hopefully after everyone else had left that day) plan only half worked as half way down the parking lot it failed to start. Embarrassed as hell I went and found help. Funny how life goes as those two are my only remaining friends from high school. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,991
    Options
    It’s a skill needed if you want to rent a car in Europe. Automatics are fairly rare and expensive to rent. 
    Try right hand drive with a stick. Takes a little to get used to....We did it in Ireland, where mud covered single lanes were often confused for two lane freeways by the locals.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Try right hand drive with a stick. Takes a little to get used to....We did it in Ireland, where mud covered single lanes were often confused for two lane freeways by the locals.
    Agreed. That was one of my absolute favorite driving experiences 
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Agreed. That was one of my absolute favorite driving experiences 
    And one of SWMBO’s least favorite ;)
  • Botch
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Try right hand drive with a stick. Takes a little to get used to....
    When I sold my beloved Saab I was sitting in the passenger seat, showing the buyer the trick to unlatching the convertible top, and I had to use my left hand.  I couldn't do it!  
    Muscle memory is an interesting thing.  

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Oh my, I grew up on a stick but have never thought about that.  I would say it would take a little more than "getting used to", but we are game. 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• Botch
    Options
    Heh.  This afternoon I needed to pick up a couple bags of lump, and started up the Tacoma after driving the automatic Audi for six weeks straight or so.  

Forgot to step in the clutch.  d'Oh!!!  

• lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,522
    Options
    Wherever you are- given the car is configured for that country, always position the driver toward the center of the road.  And If a bicyclist-the brakes on those same countries are opposite of the USA-always designed to keep your hand on the rear wheel brake when signaling.  Way more than you need to know any time and for sure on a Friday,  FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    Once you chop and change a bit, the memory works well. I have a LHD stick camper, RHD stick car, standard auto car and DSG car. I've had bikes with the shifter on the Left and on the Right, first gear up and first gear down.
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    My ole 650 triumph shifted on the right 
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max