Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Teaching kid stick shift

Options
god help me show this kid the way to shift gears. Easy on clutch boy!! 
You can’t get to Loganville, Ga from anywhere. You have to start somewhere else

Comments

• lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,761
    Options
    I learned on a stick and taught my kids on a stick....taught them to go up without the clutch , come down with......big empty parking lots 
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • RiverBBQ
    RiverBBQ Posts: 191
    Options
    Big empty church lot, he did pretty well. Keep going to 5th. This is a life lesson that will go on forever. If he gets this I’m not worried about the future . It’s a lost art
  • RiverBBQ
    Options
    Can’t post video
  • SmokeyPitt
    SmokeyPitt Posts: 10,490
    Options
    FWIW it clicked with my boy when he watched some Youtube videos. I thought I was doing an okay job coaching but apparently random internet strangers did a better job. 

Which came first the chicken or the egg?  I egged the chicken and then I ate his leg. 

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    Both my kids learned on a manual tramission. I figured if ever in an emergency situation, that was the only option....it would be a value. Great life lesson....but becoming less relevant. 
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Taught my kids on a manual.  My youngest son chose to get a Jetta with a manual.  He loves it.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    How many remember 3 on the tree
    We have a ‘71 landcruiser with 3 on the tree.  It’s what I learned on.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    I bark the tires on my dads pick up going to second. 
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,174
    Options
    It’s a skill needed if you want to rent a car in Europe. Automatics are fairly rare and expensive to rent. 
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    Learned in a race car. They made me start out in third gear. Probably wise looking back now. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • TN_Egger
    TN_Egger Posts: 1,120
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I learned on this.  Made it a point to teach my kids on a manual, but now (5, 8, and 11 years later) they probably couldn't drive one if they had to. Image result for 1967 beetle
    Signal Mountain, TN
  • RiverBBQ
    Options
    I learned in 4low CJ-7. Teaching him 4 low Cummins ram. No throttle take off, just hope he remembers clutch is only way to stop truck. Maybe dirt bike learinig will help. 2nd ever driven for me was a 71 Chevy truck 3 on tree. 
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    This is no lie - I grew up using a stick - on the floor, on the column, and on the tunnel (my '56 MGA). I had never even driven an automatic until I was 21 and had to drive it to get a drunk buddy home in his car.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Learned on a 3 on the tree, taught my wife (then a girlfriend ) and daughter to drive a manual.  The very first thing I told them is above all else the steering wheel and brake peddle still work the same!

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    I first learned how to shift gears on a Yamaha YSR as a kid. I was tossed the keys to my Dad's car when I was 14 when he and his friends were drinking a few beers out in the garage. My Dad had me roll down the driveway over and over to grab first gear. (I understood how to work a clutch from the motorcycle) I was hooked. I haven't bought a car/truck other than in manual transmission. 

I taught my wife and she now has a manual transmission herself. One of my two sisters car is a manual. Both parents vehicles are as well. 

It's a sad to see so many car/trucks lose the option in manual. Very cool to see you teach your son the joy of driving a stick shift!

"The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,471
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    My "babe-magnet"[/not] 1970 Ford Maverick had one, with a large, metal, chrome-plated stick that took the skin off your palm in the summer, after walking beans all day; a second use for that unpaired sock.   :disappointed:

Dad taught me to shift on an early-50's Allis Chalmers, 3 speed, when I was nine; started driving his F-100 soon after, and had my Maverick at 15 (young driving age in mid-70's South Dakota).  

Remember when teachers used to say 'You won't have a calculator everywhere you go'?  Well, we showed them.

• frazzdaddy
    frazzdaddy Posts: 2,617
    Options
    RRP said:
    This is no lie - I grew up using a stick - on the floor, on the column, and on the tunnel (my '56 MGA). I had never even driven an automatic until I was 21 and had to drive it to get a drunk buddy home in his car.
    Farmall cub, 140, Volvo p1800s ,Karmen ghia and a TR6 for me.
    Xl bge ,LG bge, two 4' crusher cone fire pits. Weber Genisis gasser and 
    Two rusty Weber kettles. 

Two Rivers Farm
    Moncure N.C.
  • ryantt
    ryantt Posts: 2,532
    Options
    First car was a Honda CRX SI woth a 5 speed.   Man I miss that thing.   Now I drive a 6 speed Golf GTI and a 5 Speed Jetta.  Love them 
    XL BGE, KJ classic, Joe Jr, UDS x2 

• Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    Options
    lkapigian said:
    Remember but dislike. Floor shift is much better.
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Taught my sister, wife and 2 daughters on a tractor. 72 78 94 96. 

Had a 64 Mercedes, rust bucket that had to be parked on a hill, with 4 on the column. 
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Gulfcoastguy Posts: 6,296
    edited October 2018
    Options
    I had the misfortune of teaching my kid sister. I took her to a hill in an illegal dump, go out and told her to take it to the top. Starting on a hill is the hard part . Do that and you have it beat. 
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    It’s a skill needed if you want to rent a car in Europe. Automatics are fairly rare and expensive to rent. 
    I can attest to this first hand. I was forced to drive the narrow and winding hills of Volterra (and many other cities with such driving conditions) in Italy after having attempted stick shift only a couple of times. Even witnessed a bad motorcycle accident on the way up.

• Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Good for you! I’m gonna end up paying a fortune to buy an old car to teach my kids a stick just so they don’t destroy our antique tractor. 

Im an “elder millennial” apparently but I didn’t start driving an automatic until a few years ago. 

Since I learned to drive while shifting gears and talking on a cell phone that charged by the minute kinda gives you Jedi status, right? 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• GrateEggspectations
    Options
    My father, a patient and eminently logical man, taught me the secret of driving a manual transmission after several friends had briefly tried without it taking. 

He had me put the car in first and very slowly and gradually take my foot off of the clutch until the gear engaged and the car moved forward without any use of the gas pedal. Finding the point at which the car’s clutch was the key. From then on, it was gravy. 
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,836
    Options
    RRP said:
    Farmall cub, 140, Volvo p1800s ,Karmen ghia and a TR6 for me.
    I haven't heard anyone mention a p1800 for decades.  My great uncle owned a Volvo dealership when I was a kid.  I always wanted one of those.  By the time I was old enough to drive he had died and his alcoholic son had bankrupted the dealership...

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,889
    Options
    This thread has been a flash back for me. Way back in 1959 I taught my buddy how to double cluck the 1949 Ford that his parents bought for him. To this day I can still visualize Dave slamming his foot on the floor and slipping it off as quickly has his hand shifted the column shift.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,096
    Options
    Coon hunting in a Ford F-100, 3 on a tree, when I was a teen.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• alaskanassasin
    Options
    I learned on a 96 f250 diesel, and a 93? bmw 318i. Broad spectrum there, it was way easier to get the truck rolling but the once I got the bimmer throttle clutch ratio down well let’s just say I wasn’t allowed to drive it unsupervised very often.
    South of Columbus, Ohio.