Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

IMO, a Netflix Must Watch

Options
cazzy
cazzy Posts: 9,136
Sometime back, CenTex turned me on to Salt, Fat, Acid, Heat and it was an eye opening read...incredibly written!  

Well hot damn, a 4 episode series dropped last Thursday on Netflix!  Each element has it's own episode and I'm really enjoying the first episode (Fat) so far!!

Enjoy!!
Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....

Comments

• nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    Options
    Sounds like it's right up my alley, thanks much, Caz. 

PS - brisket camp V next sat.  Will be kid friendly until dark.
    Options
    Image result for nietzsche ice weasels
    What "Nietzsche" said (3rd quote above) is late night brisket camp.  Metaphorically.  Love = food + brisket camp.  So maybe there is some truth to the other two.

Whatevz.  Thanks again.  Long time no see.

Options
    Thanks for the heads up!
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • GATraveller
    GATraveller Posts: 8,207
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Saw that yesterday but didn't have time to watch.  Really looking forward to it.  Good call!!
    Nice to see ya around again.

"Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community [...] but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots."

-Umberto Eco

2 Large
    Peachtree Corners, GA
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    Thanks. Looking forward to watching. 
  • Phaqallyall
    Options
    Sounds pretty phat if you know what I mean. 
    sound it out yaidjit
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Thanks Cazzy, adding to the lineup. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JethroVA
    JethroVA Posts: 1,251
    Options
    +1 on the book being awesome. thanks for the series heads up.
    Richmond and Mathews County, VA. Large BGE, Weber gas, little Weber charcoal. Vintage ManGrates. Little reddish portable kamado that shall remain nameless here.  Very Extremely Stable Genius. 
  • SamIAm2
    SamIAm2 Posts: 1,896
    Options
    Enjoying this series. Watched the Salt and Fat episodes so far. 
    Ubi panis, ibi patria.
    Large - Roswell rig, MiniMax-PS Woo; Cocoa, Fl.
  • retiredadman
    Options
    I saw it too, and loved it. The big learning experience for me was "Salt." What a breakthrough, "When you use large kristals like Kosher salt you reduce the salt taste in your mouth." I had avoided kosher salt because I thought it would be too salty. 
  • retiredadman
    Options
    Another good series on Netflix is Chef's Table. It is very similar, great production values in the series.

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    Chef's Table and this are now both on my list. Thanks for the heads up.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• SonVolt
    SonVolt Posts: 3,314
    Options
    Doesn't look like it's available yet for us dinosaurs still get NetFlix DVD's in our mailbox. 
    South of Nashville  -  BGE XL  -  Alfresco 42" ALXE  -  Alfresco Versa Burner  - Sunbeam Microwave 
  • Hook_emHornsfan_74
    Options
    I just bought a Samsung 65" 4K QLED tv.  Watching chefs table on the upgraded 4K netflix is absolutely amazing.  
    Midland, TX XLBGE
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options
    Just watched the fat episode while burning....fat on the treadmill 

interesting for sure
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options

interesting for sure
    You haven’t farmed out exercise to your FIL @theyolksonyou
  • theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Options

interesting for sure
    Trying to get the ol BP down a notch or two 
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,171
    Options

interesting for sure
    Trying to get the ol BP down a notch or two 
    Being salty will raise the blood pressure... 
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    Options
    Thank you for sharing!
    Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • SciAggie
    SciAggie Posts: 6,481
    Options
    Just found this myself on Netflix. The book was a real game changer for me and improved my cooking a great deal. 
    Coleman, Texas
    Large BGE & Mini Max for the wok. A few old camp Dutch ovens and a wood fired oven. LSG 24” cabinet offset smoker. There are a few paella pans and a Patagonia cross in the barn. A curing chamber for bacterial transformation of meats...
    "Bourbon slushies. Sure you can cook on the BGE without them, but why would you?"
                                                                                                                          YukonRon
  • Skiddymarker
    Skiddymarker Posts: 8,522
    Options
    Geez Cazzy - your wings which are still a family favourite involve Salt, fat, acid and heat.....why are you surprised?
    Delta B.C. - Whiskey and steak, because no good story ever started with someone having a salad!
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,346
    Options
    Just finished watching the show. Both informative and visually appealing.
    I'd never seen the technique of salting a foccacia by pouring a salty brine over it. Will try that soon.
    I'm curious how much that honey in Yucatan sells for at the market. Sucking it out of the little "pots" with the body of a syringe is a very labor intensive process for such a small yield!
    In the last episode where she is testing the doneness of the steak by the feel test rather than using a Thermapen to check internal temp - I'm betting that will trigger a few folks. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,615
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    I'd never seen the technique of salting a foccacia by pouring a salty brine over it. Will try that soon.
    I'm curious how much that honey in Yucatan sells for at the market. Sucking it out of the little "pots" with the body of a syringe is a very labor intensive process for such a small yield!
    In the last episode where she is testing the doneness of the steak by the feel test rather than using a Thermapen to check internal temp - I'm hoping that will trigger a few folks. :)

I think this is more accurate.
  • cazzy
    cazzy Posts: 9,136
    Options
    Legume said:
    HeavyG said:
    In the last episode where she is testing the doneness of the steak by the feel test rather than using a Thermapen to check internal temp - I'm hoping that will trigger a few folks. :)

I haven't probed a steak in 3-4 years.  No need if I'm being honest.
    Just a hack that makes some $hitty BBQ....
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    cazzy said:
    Legume said:
    HeavyG said:

I haven't probed a steak in 3-4 years.  No need if I'm being honest.
    I always notice steaks look more rare at the same temp when I hot tub or sous vide them do they affect the feel test?
  • EggbertGreenII
    Options
    I watched all four episodes today, it's well done and worth the watch.
    Tampa Bay, Florida
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Thanks for the recommendation. I’ve read the book, but didn’t know about the series until you flagged it. Also, I have commitment issues, in that I can’t seem to commit to a series of anything. The fact that this is only four episodes long is a plus in my books. 
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    In the last episode where she is testing the doneness of the steak by the feel test rather than using a Thermapen to check internal temp - I'm betting that will trigger a few folks. :)

If you really want to trigger folks, watch the first episode of Michael Pollan’s Cooked on Netflix. 

He sets out to ‘cue a suckling pig in his backyard, and a BGE is sort of in the mix. I won’t give it away, but watching them try to cook that pig is likely to induce a stroke or two. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.