Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

OT - Pizza sauce

anyone got a recipe for neopolitan pizza sauce. 
I have the San Marzano tomatoes, oregano, olive oil, garlic. 

Just don’t know measurements and/or looking for tips. 

Thanks!

Comments

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited October 2018
    gasman79 said:
    anyone got a recipe for neopolitan pizza sauce. 
    I have the San Marzano tomatoes, oregano, olive oil, garlic. 

Just don’t know measurements and/or looking for tips. 

Thanks!
    This is for me rough estimates of what I do.

1 large can San Marzano tomatoes
    3-4 garlic cloves
    1tsp oregano or Italian seasoning
    2 tablespoons olive oil.
    1-2 tsp of kosher salt.
    1/2 tsp ground black pepper (optional)

Heat the olive oil, garlic, and oregano in a skillet. Once fragrant turn the burner off and let cool.
    Once cool combine in a blender with tomatoes and salt and blend until smooth. Alternately you could smash the tomatoes with a masher or use a immersion blender until smooth. Once smooth store in canning jars or air tight container.
    the other key to me is to let it sit for a few days if you can. This helps the seasonings to really impart flavor into the sauce.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    Cool...A bicycle!
    Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    edited October 2018
    Simple. No cooking required. Run the San Marzanos through a food mill. Then, drizzle a little evoo on the dough, followed by some pepper. Next, ladle the tomatoes (sparingly, 2-3 small ladles... less is more) onto the dough. Maybe this much...
    Related image
    Then, a pinch of salt, a light dusting of dried oregano and another of garlic powder. Top as desired. Maybe a little more oregano after the toppings.

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    Gozney (maker of Roccbox) has a 5 part series on making Neapolitan pies:

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,727
    Simple. No cooking required. Run the San Marzanos through a food mill. Then, drizzle a little evoo on the dough, followed by some pepper. 

Then, a pinch of salt, a light dusting of dried oregano and another of garlic powder. Top as desired. Maybe a little more oregano after the toppings.
    This. I’ve been playing with pizza this week, and crushed San Marzano tomatoes is all it takes. Garlic, EVOO, salt, etc end up on the pie anyways, so seasoning or cooking the sauce seems redundant. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • caliking
    And you’re going to have a hella good time with your new toy!

• NorthPilot06
    NorthPilot06 Posts: 1,179
    Simple. No cooking required. Run the San Marzanos through a food mill. Then, drizzle a little evoo on the dough, followed by some pepper. Next, ladle the tomatoes (sparingly, 2-3 small ladles... less is more) onto the dough. Maybe this much...
    Related image
    This, but simplier. 

1. Hand-crush or food mill the San Marzano tomatos (San Marzano is a must).  
    2. Spread on pizza (less is more).

You're welcome. =)
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • NorthPilot06
    Now, when you want to make an appetizer of garlic knots, my sauce recipe would be substantially different.  But for a traditional margarita pizza, that's all you need.
  • Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
    When I can’t find a good can of tomatoes my local store always has a jar of this ready made sauce. It’s pretty good.

Thank you,
    Darian

Galveston Texas
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    caliking said:
    Simple. No cooking required. Run the San Marzanos through a food mill. Then, drizzle a little evoo on the dough, followed by some pepper. 

This. I’ve been playing with pizza this week, and crushed San Marzano tomatoes is all it takes. Garlic, EVOO, salt, etc end up on the pie anyways, so seasoning or cooking the sauce seems redundant. 
    I agree.  I’d add some marjoram too.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • gasman79 said:
    Because this just arrived....
    OH HELL YES!!!
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    like others have said, if you are going for neopolitan, don't add any other ingredients.  

• NorthPilot06
    Nice looking pie!  
  • YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Enjoy the new toy!
    Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• Does it hook up to a propane tank or do you need a natural gas line? 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • nolaegghead
    Does it hook up to a propane tank or do you need a natural gas line? 
    Propane or actual wood
    Does it hook up to a propane tank or do you need a natural gas line? 
    Its propane.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • This is going to be a hard toy to pass on.  

• nolaegghead
    I couldn't resist.  5 months later...no regrets.   Unlike this guy

Scotty P doesn’t even regret a single letter.  

• Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    Nice looking pie! What did you end up with for sauce?

FYI, the official VPN "condiments" for pizza Napoletana from the
    Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana are...

So, the ingredients I listed above are semi-okay, at least for a Marinara pizza. I add a little pepper and use garlic powder instead of fresh. That's probably akin to putting beans and tomatoes in chili at a Texas chili contest!  DISQUALIFIED! =)

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I hand-crush 1 can of San Marzanos with a tsp of kosher salt for napoletana-style pizza. 
  • Nice looking pie! What did you end up with for sauce?

FYI, the official VPN "condiments" for pizza Napoletana from the
    Associazione Verace Pizza Napoletana are...

So, the ingredients I listed above are semi-okay, at least for a Marinara pizza. I add a little pepper and use garlic powder instead of fresh. That's probably akin to putting beans and tomatoes in chili at a Texas chili contest!  DISQUALIFIED! =)

So i ended up with a 28oz can San Marzano then i heated up 6 cloves garlic, 2 Tbl evoo 1 tsp oregano 1 tsp salt and 1/2 tsp pepper. 

Sat at it in fridge overnight then pulled it out. 

I actually ate the white pizza so i didn’t taste the sauce. 

Kids (8,6,4) had the pepperoni and a classic cheese one and they loved it so it must have been relatively mild since they are kids...lol

next time I’ll try some. Gonna make pizza again on Sunday. 

Largest issue i found is turning the pizza with the turning peel. I bout a 6inch peel from GI metals and am questioning if i should have gotten the 8 inch peel now. 
  • poster
    poster Posts: 1,167
    Now, when you want to make an appetizer of garlic knots, my sauce recipe would be substantially different.  But for a traditional margarita pizza, that's all you need.

Do you have a recipe for these so called garlic knots? sounds like something I could like
  • caliking
    Trolling your thread a bit with a Neapolitan style pie baked in the Big Clock indoors :smiley:

Experimenting with different dough variations, and this was pretty damn good. But back to the sauce- crushed San Marzano tomatoes, light sprinkle of sea salt, drizzle of garlic oil that I made, and slivers of garlic as the last topping. 

The sauce tasted bright, and the garlic caramelized nicely. All the flavors came together nicely, without pre-cooking the sauce. 

• I like it!

yeah i didn’t cook the sauce, just the Evoo, oregano, garlic part
  • This might be a really stupid comment, but could you do deep dish or Detroit style pizza in one of these?  

• Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    edited October 2018
    This might be a really stupid comment, but could you do deep dish or Detroit style pizza in one of these?  
    Don’t see why not. Just cook at a lower temp than a napoletana-style pizza.