Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Pellet Grill - going to the dark side.

Options
gmac
gmac Posts: 1,814
The other day I had a terrible time doing ribs on the Egg. Now let’s be clear, it was all my fault, not the Egg. Got busy with other issues, had a bad time watching the heat. Just a lot of my mistakes. Plus now that my boys are all teenagers, the large doesn’t always keep up. Now, an adjustable rack would solve most of my problems but then I can’t spend too much money. 

Luckily (or unfortunately) for me, a buddy works at a local shop that sells Traeger and Yoders.  So I asked him if there would be any end of summer sales. 

Short story long, I picked up a Yoder 640 at a very reasonable price (for Canada). I’m not gonna walk away from the Egg but I feel like a traitor. Anyone else here able to learn to love both?  Any advice?  

Gmac. 
Mt Elgin Ontario - just a Large.

Comments

• DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,180
    Options
    Give it a whirl. If it doesn’t fit your needs, sell it and move on. 
  • StillH2OEgger
    Options
    I honestly couldn't care less what people are cooking their food on, unless I'm actually eating it (-: No cooker shaming from me. Let us know how you like it and I'd like to see a comparison/contrast for how you feel it performs.
    Stillwater, MN
  • Grillin_beers
    Options
    Honestly, I’ve seen a lot of really good looking food come off of pellet smokers on Instagram lately and I’ve considered picking one up.  @MeatChurch uses one and it looks incredible.  I haven’t figured out a way to sell it to the wife yet though. 
    1 large BGE, Spartanburg SC

My dog thinks I'm a grilling god. 
  • tarheelmatt
    tarheelmatt Posts: 9,867
    Options
    Whatever suits you and your family man.  I'd like to give them a try myself.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • gmac
    Options
    Honestly, I’ve seen a lot of really good looking food come off of pellet smokers on Instagram lately and I’ve considered picking one up.  @MeatChurch uses one and it looks incredible.  I haven’t figured out a way to sell it to the wife yet though. 
    She is getting new bedroom furniture. That’s how I sold it. 
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,342
    Options
    Oddly enough, I've been looking at Traeger's. I don't think I would use it that much, but I'd like to have one just to mess with.
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,624
    Options
    The Yoder forum is just nuts.  Stay away from there on a Friday night.
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    For a smoker I think they are fine. But I dunno how much of a smoke profile they give the meat, the results I’ve heard are mixed. If you are trying to use it to replace everything about your egg you will be disappointed. The egg is much more versatile but isn’t the best smoker. It’s good but doesn’t compare to a straight stick burner. Stick burners are very finicky. So I agree with @DoubleEgger give it a whirl and see if you like the results, if not sell it. There are plenty of people that would buy it for probably what you paid for it.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• gmac
    Options
    For a smoker I think they are fine. But I dunno how much of a smoke profile they give the meat, the results I’ve heard are mixed. If you are trying to use it to replace everything about your egg you will be disappointed. The egg is much more versatile but isn’t the best smoker. It’s good but doesn’t compare to a straight stick burner. Stick burners are very finicky. So I agree with @DoubleEgger give it a whirl and see if you like the results, if not sell it. There are plenty of people that would buy it for probably what you paid for it.
    Completely agree that the Egg has a solid place in the arsenal. And it’s my first and lifelong love...  but when all the deer hunters want me to smoke 20+ lbs of venison sausage or I need to do 6 or 8 racks of ribs I admit that the Egg has its limitations. Trust me, I will sell anything I don’t like but I want to be buried in my Egg. Well, my ashes at least. 
  • HoustonEgger
    Options
    I've got a Pitts & Spitts pellet smoker that I use a lot - the pellet smokers are great for easy smoking (low maintenance). It does need more cleanup after a cook then the egg though. Great smoke rings but not exactly the same "wood" flavor you get from an Egg. And certainly not what you get from an offset. 

One trick I've learned is to buy 100% wood pellets - for example 100% oak wood pellets rather then wood flavored pellets - that seems to help the flavor profile
    Formerly of Houston, TX - Now Located in Bastrop, TX
    I work in the 'que business now (since 2017)

6 Eggs: (1) XL, (2) Large, (1) Small, (1) Minimax & (1) Mini - Egging since 2007
    Also recently gained: (1) Gas Thing (came with the house), (1) 36" Blackstone Griddle & (1) Pitts & Spitts Pellet Smoker
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    Options
    No shame in adding another cooker.  I’d love to have a pellet smoker. Let us know how it works out. 
    Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • unoriginalusername
    Options
    They seem so pricey in Canada, curious what a good blow out price is vs what I’ve seen solidly in the 2k range 
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    I like one to fool around with if I can ever run across a used one cheap. Here on ESVA everting rusts bad...they look pretty thin.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,027
    Options
    If there was a perfect grill/smoker out there everyone would own one. Each has their own positive/negative. Nothing wrong with trying something new. 
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    I think these new high tec pellet grills favor the cell phone age. 

Just through the the meat in, add pellets and cook from yer iPhone. Life’s much easer from yer couch.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • JerseyEgger
    Options
    Bother I'm on the egghead forum and I don't even have an egg - A
    I just ordered a Masterbuilt electric smoker because I'm in an apartment - A
    The esmoker will hold me over until im back in a house and can have an egg again - A
    So enjoy the pellet smoker or whatever unit you decide to get - A

Just make sure you post pics of your first cook - A
    -Eddie
  • Hub
    Hub Posts: 927
    Options
    Last year I saw a TV show of competition cooking including Johnny Trigg.  When asked about his competition Trigg stated "I noticed one guy is cooking with pellets.  Whenever I see a pellet cooker I know I am going to win."
    Beautiful and lovely Villa Rica, Georgia
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I like my green mountain grill, cranks out good food. 

Enjoy your new egg sidekick
  • littlerascal56
    littlerascal56 Posts: 2,104
    edited October 2018
    Options
    Make sure and hook up with Seth at Lumberjack pellets!  We buy his pellets by the ton, and they are true hardwood flavors, and not just flavored sawdust like Traeger!
  • Canugghead
    Canugghead Posts: 11,527
    Options
    Congrats and welcome to the dark side. I got a Pro 34 about a year ago and never looked back; use it more than my BGE.  Last weekend at Dickson's Toronto Eggfest and Toronto Smoke Show we cooked on Pro 34 + KJ Classic, funny I was still wearing my perennial BGE apron! 

canuckland
  • Matt86m
    Matt86m Posts: 471
    Options
    Not all pellet grills are 'set it and forget it'. Wife got me a new model Traeger called Silverton. Not the typical round Traeger. This one looks more like a 'standard bbq'

No matter what it looks like,,,,its the 'new' model that directs the grease better to prevent flare ups.

I am still new to the pellet game (and LOVE my egg) and so far I have had 2 cooks that at the 3-4 hour mark I suddenly got the 3 alarm smoke show with flames all around the drip pan. I guess the 'new' design still needs some work.

As far as Egg vs pellet: I will always pick the Egg first for a steak, tritip and so far I like ribs off the Egg better too.

Once I get the Traeger figured out and solve my grease flow issue I'll use it for low and slow when I'm feeling lazy.. I have a lot of friends with these and I am the only one that owns an egg. They insist you can sear, HA! they don't know what searing is. 

Getting it keep the low temps (250 and below takes a little doing. Once it has settled it does keep within the +-15* they say it will. 

I think it's going to be a good grill, like said before, there is an application for all types. XL BGE, Weber Q200, Traeger and a Santa Maria grill are in the backyard, still have to figure out a way to sneak in a stick burner!

Side note, sift the pellets before they go in the box. This will help prevent clumping and has been stated as possibly adding to my excessive smoke & flame issue. 

Going to check into the all natural wood pellets as stated above.

Traeger results:

XL aka Senior, Mini Max aka Junior, Weber Q's, Blackstone 22, Lion built in, RecTec Mini 300, Lodge Hibachi, Uuni, wife says I have too many grills,,,,how many shoes do you have?

IG -->  matt_86m
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,654
    Options
    My wife got me a Traeger for Fathers Day this year. I really like it. It definitely does not replace my eggs but it does have its place and I use it quite a bit. And as stated above, a searing machine it is not.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    shtgunal3 said:
    My wife got me a Traeger for Fathers Day this year. I really like it. It definitely does not replace my eggs but it does have its place and I use it quite a bit. And as stated above, a searing machine it is not.
    Do yourself a favor and invest in some Grill Grates. Thank me later. That goes for anyone who is using a pellet cooker unless its a Memphis. 
  • GrillSgt
    GrillSgt Posts: 2,507
    Options
    I think a Smobot would have solved most of your issues. The Grill Grates work extremely well, highly recommend them for gassers. Don't feel bad about cooking on something other than an egg. Most of my cooks are on a Weber kettle.
  • Toxarch
    Toxarch Posts: 1,900
    Options
    The food off a pellet grill will eat. 

After a buddy had hell with his Treager, I wouldn't own the brand. Lots of flare ups and runaway temps. They sent him 2 replacements controls, replacement circuit board, replacement hoppers and auger, a whole new smoker, another new smoker with the upgraded side box. The warranty was good but they all had the same issues. He got rid of it and went with a Camp Chef and hasn't had any issues. 
    Aledo, Texas
    Large BGE
    KJ Jr.

Exodus 12:9 KJV
    Eat not of it raw, nor sodden at all with water, but roast with fire; his head with his legs, and with the purtenance thereof.

• jlaw
    jlaw Posts: 18
    Options
    I also added a YS640 to the fleet about a year ago and did find after a few months that each grill finds its place and will switch back and forth depending on cook. It’s great for an early morning startup on a low and slow (push start and come back in 20 minutes). I agree with @pgprescott, get the Grill Grates and the two piece diffuser door. Easiest reverse sear I’ve ever done even with the Kamado Joe 2 piece deflectors.
    Newton KS
    MBGE, Large Joe, Weber gasser, YS640
  • TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    Options
    I went to BBQ's Galore the other day and looked at their Green Mountain Davy Crockett. That might be a cool little smoker to take camping.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.