Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Knives

Options
Dobie
Dobie Posts: 3,365
It’s been a bit boring lately so why not. Got a full kitchen renovation going now so will upgrade some other stuff in the process. Thinking about a knife set, considering Wüsthof Classic Ikon set.  Can get a block set of 12 for $560ish. What else should I be looking that price point or there about?
Jacksonville FL

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    We like our Wustohofs.  They require occasional sharpening but are great every day blades.  I second the Ikon set.  Otherwise I’d look at the Japanese knives.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • NPHuskerFL
    NPHuskerFL Posts: 17,629
    Options
    Global depending on what set you choose would be in that range.  They have good reviews with the culinary community depending on who you talk to.  
    For me Chris I've got away from buying knife sets or "knife block deals".  Not that there's anything wrong with doing it. I have two knives in my radar. One is a sure thing as soon as they re-release it and the other I'm on the fence. 
    LBGE 2013 & MM 2014
    Die Hard HUSKER & BRONCO FAN
    Flying Low & Slow in "Da Burg" FL
  • Leopoldstoch
    Options
    Very much of the mind set of getting a few great all purpose knives (chef/pairing) instead of a “set” of knives. Currently own whustof, and while happy looking to upgrading to some shun/Japanese knives as I have within a few years become subject to a few chips in my whustof knives.

Brandon - Ohio

• Wolfpack
    Wolfpack Posts: 3,551
    Options
    Think about what you use- I tend to use paring, 8” chef, and bread knife.  If it were me I would get these in good knives and avoid the ones that would go unused. 
    Greensboro, NC
  • U_tarded
    U_tarded Posts: 2,042
    Options
    Wolfpack said:
    Think about what you use- I tend to use paring, 8” chef, and bread knife.  If it were me I would get these in good knives and avoid the ones that would go unused. 
    This!  Piece build and try different ones out, sur la table and Williams Sonoma will let you demo knives.  Everyone’s hands are different and they all have different handles. 
  • Dobie
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    We like our Wustohofs.  They require occasional sharpening but are great every day blades.  I second the Ikon set.  Otherwise I’d look at the Japanese knives.
    Probably would not make the jump to Japanese so this is a contender. 
    Jacksonville FL
  • Dobie
    Options
    Buy individual knives. I’d shy away from a set.  

You can pick up 4 Shuns for the $560 
    Will look at piecing together some but not likely needing top of the line Asian
    Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,188
    Options
    Dobie said:

They’ll be a lot a sales around Black Friday if you can hold off. I’ve been able to pick up Shun for 40% off. Usually cheaper or equal in price to the Wustofs 
  • Dobie
    Options
    Dobie said:

They’ll be a lot a sales around Black Friday if you can hold off. I’ve been able to pick up Shun for 40% off. Usually cheaper or equal in price to the Wustofs 
    Can definitely hold off and check Black Friday deals. Just need to decide if I’m that level of user. My cheap sh!t now I just throw in the dishwasher 
    Jacksonville FL
  • DoubleEgger
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Dobie said:

Can definitely hold off and check Black Friday deals. Just need to decide if I’m that level of user. My cheap sh!t now I just throw in the dishwasher 
    If you have a Williams Sonoma outlet store, they have 30-40% knives everyday. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    The Ikon set is sweet.  Or single handles.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • tarheelmatt
    Options
    You'll find that Shun Classic models are in the same price range as Wustof knives.  

I'll also agree with buying what you need not as a set.  
    ------------------------------
    Thomasville, NC
    My YouTube Channel - The Hungry Hussey
    Instagram
    Facebook
    My Photography Site
  • Dobie
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Dobie said:

Nothing close but are they seconds or blems?
    Jacksonville FL
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    We have one right up the road everything looks brand new same with cookware it is generally %40 off 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• DoubleEgger
    Options
    Dobie said:
    Dobie said:
    Dobie said:

Nothing close but are they seconds or blems?
    No. Perfect condition. I think it’s overstock from their stores. The selection varies. 
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    I am biased but go custom

you do not need a set. waste of money. two knives you'll use 99.9% of time and love is better than any 12 or 24 piece set

custom knife making in America alone is better than knife making has ever been in the history of the world

for $550 you can get 2-4 customer knives, depending on materials, that'll smoke anything you buy from bed bath and beyond or williams and sonoma

if you want a contact for one of the best guys, imo, in the country, let me know. I have ordered 9 from him and have several more to go. some gifts, some kitchen, some outdoors. but he is one of the best for heat treat and handle comfort and edge retention 

Boom
  • alaskanassasin
    Options

you do not need a set. waste of money. two knives you'll use 99.9% of time and love is better than any 12 or 24 piece set

custom knife making in America alone is better than knife making has ever been in the history of the world

for $550 you can get 2-4 customer knives, depending on materials, that'll smoke anything you buy from bed bath and beyond or williams and sonoma

if you want a contact for one of the best guys, imo, in the country, let me know. I have ordered 9 from him and have several more to go. some gifts, some kitchen, some outdoors. but he is one of the best for heat treat and handle comfort and edge retention 

Are they stainless?
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options

That's pretty funny.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• mEGG_My_Day
    Options
    I don’t know a lot about knives.  But if I was starting from scratch, I would buy the best I could in this order:

8 inch chef knife
    boning knife
    pairing knife
    bread knife

fill in from there 

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • GoldenQ
    GoldenQ Posts: 566
    Options
    I would not get sets.   I would either get custom or get the Dexter knives at a good kitchen store.  The dexter work well and can be replaced w/o much money if you decide to use a different knife until you know exactly which you will use most.  Also the custom US made knives are I believe better than the ASIAN knives or the German knives made commercially
    I XL  and 1 Weber Kettle  And 1 Weber Q220       Outside Alvin, TX-- South of Houston
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    edited September 2018
    Options
    Dobie said:
    bgebrent said:
    Probably would not make the jump to Japanese so this is a contender. 
    Buy a single Japanese knife and you’ll be a believer. I have had my Wustof Classics for 17 years but the Japanese stuff is next level stuff. The difference is amazing. 
    You are so right.

We've had our Wusthof Grand Prix set for about 15 years. We thought they were the best knives ever but then a friend gave us a Shun Classic 8-inch chefs knife. Since then, we bought individual Shuns to fit our needs and rarely use the Wusthofs.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Wow that’s a long URL
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options

Are they stainless?
    he has stainless and high carbon and damascus steels he works with 

https://www.instagram.com/bushkillblades/

that is his instagram

Bushkill Blades <bushkillorders@gmail.com>

That is the contact email to order something

that is one kitchen set he did

another

an assortment
    Boom
  • FanOfFanboys
    Options
    HeavyG said:

That's pretty funny.
    it is true

it is unreal what is available these days and there are countless knife makers in America alone that are making some of the best quality knives available. 
    Boom
  • NorthPilot06
    Options
    Another vote for Shun here
    DFW - 1 LGBE & Happy to Adopt More...
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    HeavyG said:

That's pretty funny.
    it is true

it is unreal what is available these days and there are countless knife makers in America alone that are making some of the best quality knives available. 
    Well, that's quite a bit different than your original statement.

No doubt tho, there are plenty of talented knifemakers in the US these days.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• FanOfFanboys
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    HeavyG said:

That's pretty funny.
    it is true

Well, that's quite a bit different than your original statement.

No doubt tho, there are plenty of talented knifemakers in the US these days.
    Let me be more clear then: The best custom knife makers right now in America are better than the knifemakers were worldwide in the past

As far as what year to define the "past" I don't have one but let's go pre-1900s or so

Boom