Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Mini Max or Small

So I’m on the fence about the next egg to add to the family and would appreciate some input.  I have a L and XL that we use regularly, but am considering adding a S or MM that can handle little cooks, possibly be taken on vacation, used to sear, etc.  wondering if the benefit of holding more lump makes the S preferred over the MM.  Is the portability a game changer for the MM? Is there a big $$ difference? Any difference in time to get up to temp, or any other difference I should consider?  All opinions appreciated, thanks!

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Mini Max for me.  Personal preference.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • I went through this in the spring of last year amd I decided on the MiniMax. I haven't regretted it and it complements my Large very well. 
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,984
    Mini Max. Travel with it all the time, great little cooker, does a lot more than you think, and can do plenty of different type cooks.
    80 pounds to carry or deal with, and is worth it.
    Go to CGS and get the accesories when you buy it.
    I will replace mine, no doubt about it, if anything happens to it.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • How many are you cooking for? I use my Mini more than MM or Small. The Small doesn’t seem much lighter than the MM. Both are Really Heavy.
    Large, Small, Mini Max & Mini.
    Wishlist XXL, XL & Medium 
  • I have a small and a mm if I had to give one up it would be the mm. I like the nest with the small and the extra lump in the small. They are almost the same weight but the handles on the mm are nice, but mm is best when carried by two people though for one person to carry very far. I can roll the small in the nest. They both cook about the same, Good luck.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• I sold my small to get the mini max.  If I had to do it again I would not have done it.  I learned that I can replace the fire grate in the small with a wider diameter fire grate (like the mini max) and it runs like the mini max does.

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1206536/my-small-is-a-mini-max-cross-dresser

I have bought myself a kamado joe jr for christmas (exact dimensions of the small bge).  The mini max is a less functional version of the small.  My beef with the small was always performance.  Since I learned how to fix it, I wish I had it still.
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    edited September 2018
    I'm biased I guess, but the M/M is simply a Small with the base shortened and then put in a "pretty little carrier". After the small was neutered that way BGE corporate rolled the M/M out as a new cutie with a higher price! If I were you I'd look around the dealers in my area as I bet one of them have a Small or two in stock that they would love to get rid of and cut you a deal to take that poor step child off their inventory list! Good Luck!

VIVA the Small BGE!
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Im glad that I came across this. Im currently having the same problem deciding between the two. My brother and dad both have MM’s and my brother is trying to steer me to a small. He’s told me that if he could do it again he would have bought the small. I think that’s what I’m going to do. The nest and lower price helps too. It’ll go camping occasionally but sit next to the large on the patio most of the time. 
    Large BGE, small BGE, 2-22” Weber kettles, 26” Weber kettle, Weber jumbo joe, 14” WSM, 17” BS and 36” BS. Hope Mills, NC. USA. 
  • WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,008
    Small
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262

I've not owned a mm, but i did own a small.  It was not for me - it felt cramped and i sold it the same month.

Medium with a weber jumbo joe for a travel grill - that would be my choice.

Phoenix 
  • Kick Ash Basket in a small is the only way to go, have one in my LG's, Small, MM and the Medium I gave to my daughter.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• MM for me, we tailgate at the Gator games and I started taking it with us.
    O-Town, FL

• My Large has a KAB but the only addition to the MM was a Woo and pizza stone for indirect cooking. 
    MiniMax 04/17

• YEMTrey
    YEMTrey Posts: 6,829
    Mini Max. Take it everywhere. Here it is at the lake.

Steve 
    XL, Mini Max, and a 22" Blackstone in Cincinnati, Ohio

• bubbajack
    bubbajack Posts: 1,088
    I picked up a MM a couple weeks ago. I am very impressed with the way it cooks. I did get a Woo for it. The MM is perfect for just me and the wife as far as size goes and is skimpy on lump. It will be joining us on beach trips and Family Reunions.
    I drink cheap beer so I can afford good bourbon.

Salisbury, NC...... XL,Lx3,Mx2,S, MM, Mini BGE, FireDisc x2. Blackstone 22", Offset smoker, weber kettle 22"

• Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    blasting said:

I've not owned a mm, but i did own a small.  It was not for me - it felt cramped and i sold it the same month.

How’s the jumbo joe do with lump? And with the vents closed will it snuff out enough coal for use next time? I own a jumbo joe and have often though about getting a SM or M/M for auxiliary cooks and camping but if I could mod my Joe well enough to be a lump burning searing machine I would settle with that.
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,173
    I can only provide support for the SBGE as I do not have the MM.  It is a hacker.  I went with the Hi-Que grate right out of the box along with the CGS woo and stone and have not looked back.   FWIW-
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • Powak said:
    blasting said:

How’s the jumbo joe do with lump? And with the vents closed will it snuff out enough coal for use next time? I own a jumbo joe and have often though about getting a SM or M/M for auxiliary cooks and camping but if I could mod my Joe well enough to be a lump burning searing machine I would settle with that.
    The jumbo joe does fine with lump. Obviously not as efficient as an egg but that’s not a big deal. It can get as hot as you need to sear anything. Plus its mobility is way better than any egg, while sporting the same grid space as a large egg. And only  $59.00. I love  mine. In fact I bought two. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Powak said:
    blasting said:

Kettles do great with lump, and they shut down and preserve lump just like an egg.  I experimented with a JJ by drilling extra holes in the dome and base.  It worked well, but since I couldn't shut it down after a cook, that grill ended up in my bonepile.  Now if I'm searing on a kettle, I just do it with the lid off - no mods needed.  
    Phoenix 
  • Powak
    Powak Posts: 1,391
    blasting said:
    Powak said:
    blasting said:

Kettles do great with lump, and they shut down and preserve lump just like an egg.  I experimented with a JJ by drilling extra holes in the dome and base.  It worked well, but since I couldn't shut it down after a cook, that grill ended up in my bonepile.  Now if I'm searing on a kettle, I just do it with the lid off - no mods needed.  
    Right on. I just put a stainless steel cooking grate on mine this summer and a new vent on the bottom. Sounds like it’ll be a turbo searer then.
  • MotownVol
    MotownVol Posts: 1,039
    I struggled with this same decision.  The small has the ability for longer cooks such as smaller butts and ribs, but I thought I can cook all of those items on my large.  

I went with the MM and am extremely happy.   It is a lump miser and a cooking machine for smaller cooks.   Last Sunday I cooked burgers, followed by salmon and then brats.   That's all gone, so steaks are going on tonight followed by wings this Saturday.   I love the MM.
    Morristown TN, LBGE and Mini-Max.
  • shtgunal3
    shtgunal3 Posts: 5,629
    I have a large, small, & mini. The small is by far the most used. I have no experience with the mini-max.

LBGE,SBGE, and a Mini makes three......Sweet home Alabama........ Stay thirsty my friends .

• I went with the MM as I do more grilling than smoking/roasting. MM made more sense for my typical use.
  • smbishop
    smbishop Posts: 3,053
    I have a large and a small.  Perfect combo for me....

Southlake, TX and Cowhouse Creek - King, TX.  2 Large, 1 Small and a lot of Eggcessories.
  • td66snrf
    td66snrf Posts: 1,821
    I know I'm going to catch a ration for this but here goes. I've been cooking on kamados for over 35 years. If you  look at kamados, no matter the manufacturer, the height of the base is relative to the diameter of the grill. The mini max does not meet the criteria. The base is too short for the diameter of the grill. I admit I don't have one and never cooked on one. I do have an XL, Large, Medium, Small and a Mini so it's not like I'm a newbie. BGE had to do something to increase sales. I'm sure this will be killed by the Buffalo. 
    XLBGE, LBGE, MBGE, SMALL, MINI, 2 Kubs, Fire Magic Gasser
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,880
    Jeremiah said:
    I had the minimax for several years, was one of the first to get one. Traded it for a small last year. Love love the small. Been blessed with a **** back, so the mm was a two person carry. So is the small. We camp so I fixed a mm carrier to fit my small. Love it.  
    Sorry to hear of your unexplained issues. While your solution is very cool, it may be out of the question for other eggers. I won't bore you with my picture of the flexible Pot Lifter. With the PL I can carry my small by myself like a dufflle bag! Or when I have help it is very easy for 2 people! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Woadie
    Woadie Posts: 154
    How did you convert the MM stand to hold the small, or did you just put it in the MM carrier?   I think I saw on here where someone had a travel carrier for the small called an egg carton but I’m not sure if they still make those.  
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Woadie said:
    How did you convert the MM stand to hold the small, or did you just put it in the MM carrier?   I think I saw on here where someone had a travel carrier for the small called an egg carton but I’m not sure if they still make those.  
    I bought a mm carrier, then went to Lowes and bought some 1 1/2" flats, and replaced the vertical legs with longer pieces. I welded mine, but could have just as easily drilled holes and used the bge bolts. If you can cut metal and drill holes you can easily do it too. ...The guy that was making the Carten quit making them. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • smbishop said:
    I have a large and a small.  Perfect combo for me....

That combo works well for me too. the MM gets the "grilling" while the Large handles larger cooks and the low 'n slo smoking duty. The Large also handles the pizza and any baking but I really don't do much of those type cooks.
    MiniMax 04/17