Big Green Egg - EGGhead Forum - The Ultimate Cooking Experience...
Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg at:

Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #EGGhead4Life.

In Atlanta? Come visit Big Green Egg headquarters, including our retail showroom, the History of the EGG Museum and Culinary Center!  3786 DeKalb Technology Parkway, Atlanta, GA 30340.

Mini Max or Small

13»

Comments

• Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 3,257
    When I travel with my eggs, I put a piece of cardboard under the firebox, one under the ring and one between the base & dome.  Prolly overkill, but the roads here in Michigan are the worst in the nation.
    Yes overkill for sure, my small has been to FL, NC, OH, IL, TN, SC,GA, IN, KY in a basement hatch of the Motor Home, no packing of any kind with no cracks or breaks. I take it out of the nest after the last cook put it in the hatch and roll down the road.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrentbgebrent Posts: 17,584
    MM is a grilling and searing machine.  You can smoke on it but for me that’s secondary.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jupiter JimJupiter Jim Posts: 3,257
    YEMTrey said:
    Tom is your friend. Can raise grid above felt line. Plenty of room and I cook mostly direct on my MM.

See I would think cooking in the configuration you show right there that you would have major flare ups and burn up the outside of anything before it even finished cooking. The lump is like 3” below the grid.
    Not true at all, I have never had that problem.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• gasman79 said:
    What do y’all use the small and the MM for? Is it mainly for traveling/tailgating?

I have a XL and a medium and find the medium to be pretty much the right size for us (family of 5). My wife refuses to let me sit and continue to grill in shifts for food.
    I have never traveled or tailgated with my MM. I use it for anything and everything. Its a great grill. Its almost as fast as my gasser and it definitely grills as good or better than the gasser. Real smoke taste on steaks, wings and anything else is more flavorful than on the gasser.
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    Large Egg 10/16 MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• bucky925bucky925 Posts: 1,254
    I talked to Tom last last week about a woo for the MM.  He advised me to hang tight for a few days as they were putting together a package.   https://ceramicgrillstore.com/collections/big-green-egg-minimax-small-accessories-by-ceramic-grill-store/products/150-mini-max-woo-bge?variant=3598261551130.  good people over at the CGS!
    Live fast. die young, and leave a well marbled corps. 
  • I still say small, but the MM cooked up a  wicked tri tip tonight while I watch my Utes lose to Washington.

Stand back, I was watching the game on the really big screen.

John - SLC, UT

2 XLs, Large, Medium, MM, and Mini