Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Reflections on Wing Ding III....

Options
northGAcock
northGAcock Posts: 15,164
edited September 2018 in EggHead Forum
First let me say that Jeremiah and his beautiful family put on a great competition. The venue was perfect for the size of our group....and the ceiling fans were perfect for a hot August day. Below are a few ramblings and reflections from the weekend.

Ok....now I remember. 

* John was most kind to bring his Pazza machine. His pies were on point and came at just the right time. His wings were excellent also.

* Jason celebrated, celebrated, celebrated his victory. Not bitter! Bet he is still a bit hanged over. He fried his wings. Is that even legal?

* Jim....a bridesmaid once again. His wangs were very good. Keep tryin buddy. 

* Jeremiah ....love his dog Shelby. Moss beer....not so much. 

* Craig....does more with his mini than the rest of with more real estate. He and I both did garlic Parmesan wings. Good stuff in case you have never tried them.

* Ron.....somehow he is involved in Tong-gate. I know nothin. 

* Jim (and Kay) ...learned that the fall from the top was in fact ...a long one. 

* Myself...the lucky shirt worn on year one let me down. Had to be the shirt right? I had a blast. 

Some pictures. 

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
Run me out in the cold rain and snow

Comments

• JRWhitee
    JRWhitee Posts: 5,678
    Options
    @northgacock those are some interesting thoughts....

Johns Creek, Georgia
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Forget reflections. I just want to know who I need to pay off to be invited as a judge. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • Jeremiah
    Jeremiah Posts: 6,412
    Options
    caliking said:
    Forget reflections. I just want to know who I need to pay off to be invited as a judge. 

That’d be Delta. C’mon over next year. We’ll have an extra egg for you. 
    Slumming it in Aiken, SC. 
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    Sorry I missed it.  We'll make next years and @caliking should come and judge.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • Jeremiah
    edited September 2018
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    Sorry I missed it.  We'll make next years and @caliking should come and participate.
    FTFY
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I figured I would get the blame for it....
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • bgebrent
    Options
    YukonRon said:
    YuTongRon.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:
    YourTongRon.
    FTFY

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • theyolksonyou
    Options
    Yeah, I definitely over celebrated. My apologies. 
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Better than bitter every time!  Great win Yolk.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    YukonRon said:
    YourTongRon.
    FTFY

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Options
    Yeah I see next years judge lineup now. 

Me, @caliking, and the reigning champ Jason. You have to be in a very particular “state of mind” to properly judge a wing contest. 

Unlike crawfish, finding a chicken wing under my seat I would consider to be a win. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• bgebrent
    Options
    Yeah I see next years judge lineup now. 

Me, @caliking, and the reigning champ Jason. You have to be in a very particular “state of mind” to properly judge a wing contest. 

Unlike crawfish, finding a chicken wing under my seat I would consider to be a win. 
    #winning?
  • DoubleEgger
    DoubleEgger Posts: 17,220
    Options

• JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Thank you Robin!  Was fun to hang out with all y’all!  
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    WHAT THE HELL FOR MAN? Your wings won and it was your 3rd try!!!!!!! Congrats Jason......

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jeremiah
    Options
    My random thoughts: 

My apologies for Shelby. He’s very much a puppy, but there’s definetly some morre
    training needed. 

Robin, your shirt didn’t help you this year. Nor did your wings. They sucked. Really appreciate you bringing Patty though, and again, creating the winning plate. 

Craig, the mini was a crowd pleaser, but your wings sucked too. As with Robin, we really enjoyed the company of your better half...your beer wasn’t bad as well!

Jason, your wings didn’t suck (finally). Appreciate you once again bringing the family, as well as leaving the Rockwood!! Next year we’ll make sure to have some Advil and water to send you off with. 

Jim and Kay, once again, loved having y’all at the house. My apologies again for my monster pup. Jim, your wings sucked too. Reagan is excited about her new shirt for tomorrow!

Jim and Kit, Have you ever seen that State Farm commercial with the fly fisherman? “Oh so close!” Your wings sucked too! Thank Kit for the cookies, damn some of the best cookies I’ve ever had. Maybe next year you’ll bring all your supplies. 

John, Holy hell that was hands down sone of the best pizza we’ve ever eaten, let alone the tutorial to boot. Really appreciate you bringing the roccbox, and making the trip; but your wings sucked too. ...but Reagan still loves the Duke bear!

Ron, the tenderloin rocked. Really wished I would have grabbed some pics so all could see it in its greatness. There wasn’t a better slushie in all of South Carolina being drank either. You and Susie receive the long distance award, and it wasn’t overlooked. We will make it to KY soon. Your wings sucked too though. 

In all seriousness, we really appreciated all that came and spent time with us. This is what life is about, good friends, enjoying time together. Hopefully next year, all will be able to return, as well as more of you wing suckers.

Mark your calendars for Labor Day weekend 2019. 
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    caliking said:

Just show up and your in!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    edited September 2018
    Options
    John you and the Pizza Machine will be back next year right? Oh and I will make sure you have lights to work by....

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    Options
    John you and the Pizza Machine will be back next year right? Oh and I will make sure you have lights to work by....
    John looks better in the dark. You also get the value add of seeing the fire inside. It’s just like a pizza oven.
    Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Robin we did not fall at all, we purposely showed up with a lousy wing cook so someone else could win this year! Would have been pigs to take the win two years in a row. Look out for the swine  next year! 

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• bgebrent
    Options
    Robin we did not fall at all, we purposely showed up with a lousy wing cook so someone else could win this year! Would have been pigs to take the win two years in a row. Look out for the swine  next year! 
    Always the gentleman.  Kay could win every year if left alone =)
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    Truth be told the Roccbox was something of a last minute audible.  I wasn’t sure I could fit it in my car with everything else I was bringing.  

I texted Jeremiah mid week and said hey by any chance do you have gas?  Jeremiah told me that seemed like kind of a personal question and anyways the room I would be sleeping in was on the other side of the house from him.  I said no not that kind of gas, I meant propane.  He said oh yeah sure I’ve got plenty of that kind of gas.  

That saved me not having to bring my own tank, which made all the difference.  But I didn’t really have time to plan the dough so I just brought my tub of Caputo 00 flour and the Forkish book and figured I’d mix up a batch Saturday morning.  I used the Enzo recipe which is a same day type deal.  You mix it up first thing in the morning and it’s ready to go by dinner time.  Jeremiah and Bianca were very generous letting me use their kitchen and all that stuff Saturday morning.  It was in pretty good shape by the time we got rolling on Sat night.

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    Options
    Truth be told the Roccbox was something of a last minute audible.  I wasn’t sure I could fit it in my car with everything else I was bringing.  

I texted Jeremiah mid week and said hey by any chance do you have gas?  Jeremiah told me that seemed like kind of a personal question and anyways the room I would be sleeping in was on the other side of the house from him.  I said no not that kind of gas, I meant propane.  He said oh yeah sure I’ve got plenty of that kind of gas.  

That saved me not having to bring my own tank, which made all the difference.  But I didn’t really have time to plan the dough so I just brought my tub of Caputo 00 flour and the Forkish book and figured I’d mix up a batch Saturday morning.  I used the Enzo recipe which is a same day type deal.  You mix it up first thing in the morning and it’s ready to go by dinner time.  Jeremiah and Bianca were very generous letting me use their kitchen and all that stuff Saturday morning.  It was in pretty good shape by the time we got rolling on Sat night.

I wasn’t sure I could fit it in my car 

Get a real car.  Pies looked great btw dookie.
  • caliking
    caliking Posts: 18,731
    Options
    Jeremiah said:
    bgebrent said:
    Sorry I missed it.  We'll make next years and @caliking should come and participate.
    FTFY
    I would be happy to lose to a crowd such as y’all.  

@Foghorn, on the other hand, is an insufferable winner. 

#1 LBGE December 2012 • #2 SBGE February  2013 • #3 Mini May 2013
    A happy BGE family in Houston, TX.
  • YukonRon
    Options
    caliking said:
    Jeremiah said:
    bgebrent said:
    FTFY
    I would be happy to lose to a crowd such as y’all.  

@Foghorn, on the other hand, is an insufferable winner. 
    Ashish, my brother, your insight to the Salado mishap, made me reveal the full story of the heroic and gallant victory, by Jason, (AKA @theyolksonyou) at the WD3 world championship, hosted by the city of Aiken, at the magnificent and palatial estate of @Jeremiah and his family.

The real story:
    This year we all got together and decided, prior to the wing cook, the two year bitterness trail was ending. We were all going to throw in our worst wings ever, so Jason could and would win. As bad as we were, it still went into extra innings, due to @JRWhitee trying to lose with a killer cook...(Everybody was pulling for Jason to get these right).

If it were not for Amie, we would have been suffering the bitterness for a third year. She told Jason what to do, and how to do it. We are thankful she did.

From all of us....Thank you Amie. Thank you so much.

Finally, the burden was lifted from the BGE Forum. A job well done to all those who lost.

The plan worked.

Next year, no quarter taken 0 fvcks given....it is on.

@caliking @Killit_and_Grillit @Foghorn @nolaegghead and everyone else out there, a wing championship awaits your presence, bring all you got.

The slushies will be there.

We will too. We will be looking forward to seeing everyone next year as well.

Side note to Jason:
    Even if we brought our "A Game" you would have still won. Your wings were awesome. And a huge thank you for the bacon candy. I made a fool out of myself all weekend long, but nothing like I did when you shared those with me, you know you had my vote.

You should have just taken the trophy the moment you opened those up to share.

Wait!......excellent strategy my friend.....Did Amie also tell you to do this?....stellar plan my brother, and WD3 champion. Truly Stellar.

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • Foghorn
    Foghorn Posts: 9,851
    Options
    Thanks for the shoutout and invite.

But don't let @caliking fool you.  He's a sore loser.   Period.  With that said, his wing recipe is one to be feared on the competition circuit.  I caught him on an off night where his execution left his skin a little limp and allowed me to skirt past him to the championship.  

As much as I'd like to join in, because of my work travel schedule, it's unlikely that I'll be able to make it to WD4.  Besides, at this point I may be the only undefeated wing champion on the planet.  Until such time as I am able to carve out some time to participate in another wing cookoff (retirement?), I may just bask in ignorant bliss some more.  And heckle the rest of you from the peanut gallery.

XXL BGE, Karebecue, Klose BYC, Chargiller Akorn Kamado, Weber Smokey Mountain, Grand Turbo gasser, Weber Smoky Joe, and the wheelbarrow that my grandfather used to cook steaks from his cattle

San Antonio, TX

• Jupiter Jim
    Options
    Yes Ron so glad we got that over with!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Legume
    Legume Posts: 14,631
    Options
    Love your suggestion @Foghorn, a San Antonio wing cook off to consolidate belts would be fantastic.  I would definitely head down for that.