Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

How old is too old? Frozen meat!

Options
I found this to be an interesting topic, I have been doing research for the past few hours on this subject.  Last night I found a 8 lb Pork Roast that had been packaged in Cryowrap and then re-wrapped in freezer paper dated 2/15 in my freezer!  My lovely wife said throw it away!  Well I was curious to see what it was all about, I left it our to thaw still wrapped in the freezer paper, to my surprise upon thawing it looked like the day it was purchased.  Perfect color, opening the pack no odor! According to what I have read, as long as there is no freezer burn, it looks good and has no foul odor or any odor associated with well you know! It should be good to go!  So what the hell, I am going to throw some seasoning on it and let this baby cook, I will update.  If anyone of my fellow eggheads has any comment please let me know what you have experienced.  I am not really looking for what the FDA says, already read that.  I want some real life scenarios here from Eggers!  Thanks.
                  Raideregg
I Like Big Eggs and I can not lie!
XXL,XL, L and MM

Comments

• Raideregg
    Options
    Tried to post 2 pics, however not sure why they did not post.  JPEG files, what the heck am I doing wrong? 
                      Raideregg
    XXL,XL, L and MM
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    I have done freezer dives and found well dated beef roasts (2-3 yrs old) along with a turkey that was at least 3 yrs old.  Did as you did and all turned out just fine.  If there's no damage to the cryovac and no loss of temperature in a good freezer there may not be an outer limit. 
    But I'm just guessing here-hopefully the freezer experts will be along. 
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • CornfedMA
    Options
    Like you say above, if it’s not discolored and doesn’t smell like the funk, eat it! I’ve eaten 5 yr old wild game that I’ve found in the bottom reaches of my freezer. I’ve since come up with a “divider” system to prevent such things from happening. In general, I’ve found that if it’s properly wrapped or vac packed, and stored right, 2-3 yrs in a freezer is nothing. 
  • 20stone
    20stone Posts: 1,961
    Options
    I wouldn’t eat a rare steak of that, but it’s never too old for chili
    (now only 16 stone)

Joule SV
    GE induction stove
    Gasser by the community pool (currently unavailable)
    Scale (which one of my friends refuses to use)
    Friends with BGEs and myriad other fired devices (currently unavail IRL)
    Occasional access to a KBQ and Webber Kettle
    Charcuterie and sourdough enthusiast
    Prosciuttos in an undisclosed location

Austin, TX
  • Scantron
    Options
    My in-laws are beef producers, so needless to say we have an abundance of beef. Just about everything in our freezer is older than the recommended 6 months and we use it routinely. If it doesn't smell or look funny then you should be fine. 
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,340
    Options
     Cook it! 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• DWFII
    DWFII Posts: 317
    Options
    I used to say 60 was too old. But now I'm 72 and having to re-think that.
    Bespoke boot and shoemaker--45+ years
    Instagram
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Definitely cook!!
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    My rule of thumb is older than 5 years I pitch it - otherwise I've never had a problem! The only exception is with chicken which seems to get freezer burnt after 2 or 3 years.
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,348
    Options
    RRP said:
    My rule of thumb is older than 5 years I pitch it - otherwise I've never had a problem! The only exception is with chicken which seems to get freezer burnt after 2 or 3 years.
    Just how often do you find 5+ year old meat in your freezer that you came up with a rule of thumb??? :)
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• SaintJohnsEgger
    Options
    a week ago I did babybacks that had been in the freezer since July of last year and they turned out great. I also have half of a Boston Butt in the freezer since April of last year. Vacuum sealed and the seal is still intact. I'll probably cook it in the next week or so. I knew the babybacks were there but had forgotten the BB until I went looking for the ribs,
    Marshall in Beautiful Fruit Cove, FL.
    MiniMax 04/17
    Unofficial BGE MiniMax Evangelist
    Facebook Big Green Egg MiniMax Owners Group

• RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,890
    Options
    HeavyG said:
    RRP said:
    Just how often do you find 5+ year old meat in your freezer that you came up with a rule of thumb??? :)
    We had a 16 cu ft that lasted us over 30 years and some of meats on the far down and low shelves would be forgotten. Then at the every other summer that we would defrost the 5 yr rule came into play. Recently we replaced that freezer with a new 14 cu ft one so some more forgotten food stuffs got pitched. Now since this new one is frost free clean outs won't be happening, but we made a pact to not buy anything for the freezer until we made a real dent in the Pratt Inventory! 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Raideregg
    Options
    Thanks for the response I cooked it and it was amazing. 
                      Raideregg
    XXL,XL, L and MM
  • DMW
    DMW Posts: 13,832
    Options
    OK, now that you got an accurate crowd sourced response, I have a question. This is genuinely curious, and I intend no disrespect.

Why would you respect the opinion of internet users over the published research backed information already provided by the FDA? I mean, yeah, they had that whole debacle with getting the food pyramid upside down for a few decades, but the safety of frozen food over time is a fairly straightforward issue to analyze and does not involved forward looking prediction.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    Options
    DMW said:
    OK, now that you got an accurate crowd sourced response, I have a question. This is genuinely curious, and I intend no disrespect.

Why would you respect the opinion of internet users over the published research backed information already provided by the FDA? I mean, yeah, they had that whole debacle with getting the food pyramid upside down for a few decades, but the safety of frozen food over time is a fairly straightforward issue to analyze and does not involved forward looking prediction.
    What do you mean @DMW?  
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • lousubcap
    lousubcap Posts: 32,349
    Options
    @DMW- Wonder how much of the FDA research findings had true empirical data??  Besides, I don't see any FDA information here so for all we know the above empirical data could be well inside their guidelines. 
    And I haven't even played the fake news card...  ;)
    Louisville; Rolling smoke in the neighbourhood. # 38 for the win.  Life is too short for light/lite beer!  Seems I'm livin in a transitional period.
  • GrateEggspectations
    Options
    Raideregg said:
    Thanks for the response I cooked it and it was amazing. 
    Not wet aged. Not dry aged. Freezer aged. 
  • DMW
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:

What do you mean @DMW?  
    From the OP's start of this thread:

"I am not really looking for what the FDA says, already read that.  I want some real life scenarios here from Eggers!"
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

XL BGE - S BGE - KJ Jr - HB Legacy - BS Pizza Oven - 30" Firepit - King Kooker Fryer -  PR72T - WSJ - BS 17" Griddle - XXL BGE  - BS SS36" Griddle - 2 Burner Gasser - Pellet Smoker
  • bgebrent
    Options
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:

What do you mean @DMW?  

"I am not really looking for what the FDA says, already read that.  I want some real life scenarios here from Eggers!"
    Sorry Dwayne, my question was more rhetorical and in jest.  
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:

What do you mean @DMW?  

The flaw in the OP’s approach here is that nobody ever hears from the Eggers who die.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    Options
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:

What do you mean @DMW?  

The flaw in the OP’s approach here is that nobody ever hears from the Eggers who die.
    Got a list John?
  • JohnInCarolina
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:

What do you mean @DMW?  

Got a list John?
    You want me to provide a list of dead Eggheads to prove that dead people don’t post on the Eggheadforum after they’re dead?  Just how much bourbon have you consumed this evening?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • bgebrent
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:

What do you mean @DMW?  

Got a list John?
    You want me to provide a list of dead Eggheads to prove that dead people don’t post on the Eggheadforum after they’re dead?  Just how much bourbon have you consumed this evening?
    Come on John.  You understand the dilemma.  No bourbon today.  Was hoping for a more academic response.  
  • bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    Easy Easy, it's really just shoud I throw it out or cook it thead.  

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.

• bgebrent
    Options
    bucky925 said:
    Have you seen his airport preferences??
  • DMW
    Options
    lousubcap said:
    @DMW- Wonder how much of the FDA research findings had true empirical data??  Besides, I don't see any FDA information here so for all we know the above empirical data could be well inside their guidelines. 
    Short version, keep it frozen, it's OK to eat.
    They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• bgebrent
    Options
    DMW said:
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks Dwayne.
  • DMW
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    DMW said:
    lousubcap said:
    Thanks Dwayne.
    Any time, always happy to help when possible. :s:smiley:

They/Them
    Morgantown, PA

• bucky925
    bucky925 Posts: 2,029
    Options
    bgebrent said:
    bucky925 said:
    Have you seen his airport preferences??
    I have..roflmao 

Be careful when following the masses. Sometimes the M is silent.