Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

What are you running for a drip pan with Adjustable rig?

Options
toolndie7
toolndie7 Posts: 26
edited August 2018 in Pork
I recently did 34lbs of pork butt of a large egg ( which came out beautiful )  using an adjustable rig.  Oval stone on lowest rack, oval grid with 2 butts on next level and rig extender with 2 more butts on top. I had a make shift aluminum pan but it definitely made a mess and was wondering what some of the seasoned guys out there have settled on to catch the drippings.  Ive  got a 13" round stone and spider and was thinking maybe use that in place of the oval stone to allow more room for a drip tray.  I want to catch as much mess as I can but didn't want the pan to overhang the stones too much and get in trouble.
Rhode Island

Comments

• buzd504
    buzd504 Posts: 3,824
    Options
    I use the round stone and spider and it works well.  I extend the stone with foil when it doesn't provide enough coverage.
    NOLA
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    I use the 16" drip pan from CGS with my AR. I've always just sat it on the oval stone on the bottom level
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    9x13 foil pan from the grocery store. Even that may overflow with that many butts. I have found that a single brisket or butt can give off up to a gallon of liquid (I pour it into gallon ziploc bags after a cook before throwing out and it usually fills them most of the way). I think you could do 2 pans set sideways on the oval stone. I'll go check and post a pic here in a few minutes
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • 1voyager
    1voyager Posts: 1,157
    Options
    16" deep dish pizza pan lined with foil.
    Large Egg, PGS A40 gasser.
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    I go to RD, and pick up a few packs of their round aluminum serving trays. Very reusable after washing, and will fit inside the CGS drip pans, perfectly. Cheap, easy and keeps the BGE clean. Easily holds all the drippings.
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • toolndie7
    Options
    ColtsFan said:
    I use the 16" drip pan from CGS with my AR. I've always just sat it on the oval stone on the bottom level
    thats what I was hoping to pull off, does it fit between the stone and allow the grid to be on the next level?
    Rhode Island
  • toolndie7
    Options
    9x13 foil pan from the grocery store. Even that may overflow with that many butts. I have found that a single brisket or butt can give off up to a gallon of liquid (I pour it into gallon ziploc bags after a cook before throwing out and it usually fills them most of the way). I think you could do 2 pans set sideways on the oval stone. I'll go check and post a pic here in a few minutes
    It was definitely a lot of liquid. I dont intend to do a smoke this big very often but it would be nice to pull it off with minimal mess.  A picture of a setup would be awesome.
    Rhode Island
  • mEGG_My_Day
    mEGG_My_Day Posts: 1,653
    edited August 2018
    Options
    This is the 16" pan (foiled) from CGS using a woo.  It's sitting on top of a platesetter.  I suspect it would work with the AR on top of an oval stone.  I don't have an AR, so this is just a guess.

Memphis, TN 

LBGE, 2 SBGE, Hasty-Bake Gourmet
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    i use a 13.5 inch paella pan from sur la table. its my drip pan, roasting pan, deep dish pizza pan.  used to have pretty red handles on it, its blacker than black now
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,338
    Options
    toolndie7 said:
    ColtsFan said:
    thats what I was hoping to pull off, does it fit between the stone and allow the grid to be on the next level?
    Yes
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    1voyager said:
    16" deep dish pizza pan lined with foil.
    This is what I use, you can find the cheep at restaurant supply stores

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    toolndie7 said:
    It was definitely a lot of liquid. I dont intend to do a smoke this big very often but it would be nice to pull it off with minimal mess.  A picture of a setup would be awesome.
    I'm a big fan of CGS but the drip pan is my least favorite thing he makes. It would have overflowed 5X on your last cook. I may have one you can have if I didn't give it away already. The foil drip pans from the store work best for me. 
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    I use these on rolled up foil balls. They are about .70 cents each or something like that at Sam’s. You can wash and reuse but I just throw them out.  I tried to fit 2 sideways but no-go. One is all that will fit.

I like these because they are deeper and dont slosh around when you dump them out. 

• The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    toolndie7 said:
    I'm a big fan of CGS but the drip pan is my least favorite thing he makes. It would have overflowed 5X on your last cook. I may have one you can have if I didn't give it away already. The foil drip pans from the store work best for me. 
    Edit- I have/had the oval ring you wrap foil around to create a drip pan, not the pan. That did t work well for me.  I still think the drip pan is too shallow for butts and brisket. Hard to get it out without spilling goo everywhere. 
  • toolndie7
    Options
    I use these on rolled up foil balls. They are about .70 cents each or something like that at Sam’s. You can wash and reuse but I just throw them out.  I tried to fit 2 sideways but no-go. One is all that will fit.

I like these because they are deeper and dont slosh around when you dump them out. 

I think im gonna try the oval stone on top of an upturned spider and drop a pan like this underneath the whole adjustable rig. 
    Rhode Island
  • Cornholio
    Cornholio Posts: 1,047
    Options
    This weekend will be my first time doing ribs with my new AR.  I was hoping to try out a slab on the oval grate above the oval stone with a drip pan and a slab on the top grate but now this thread has me thinking I should do it differently since I don’t have the extended yet.  Without the extender should I plan on using a drip tray on the oval stone and just put my 2 slabs on the top grate?  I’m thinking it will be too tight to try and fit a drip pan on the stone then ribs on a middle rack and top rack. 

I have a feeling I’ll be ordering the extender soon and might as well get a KAB with it.  Dang this place.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,749
    Options
    toolndie7 said:
    mines full of beer in the garden right now catching slugs but i will be using it as a serving platter this fall thru the holidays =)
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • toolndie7
    Options
    Cornholio said:
    This weekend will be my first time doing ribs with my new AR.  I was hoping to try out a slab on the oval grate above the oval stone with a drip pan and a slab on the top grate but now this thread has me thinking I should do it differently since I don’t have the extended yet.  Without the extender should I plan on using a drip tray on the oval stone and just put my 2 slabs on the top grate?  I’m thinking it will be too tight to try and fit a drip pan on the stone then ribs on a middle rack and top rack. 

I have a feeling I’ll be ordering the extender soon and might as well get a KAB with it.  Dang this place.
    you should be fine as long as you dont plan on putting the pan between the stone and a rack that is on the lowest notch. If that first grate is up a little higher you should be ok to fit a pan and then use the BGE grate on top of the rig for a second level. 

I just didn't have the room to be able to do that with four butts.
    Rhode Island
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    Cornholio said:

my pic is pan on oval stone with BGE stock grid on top of AR. You don't need the extender to run a full size drip pan unless you want to cook on the oval grids below the top of the AR. If you aren't doing multiple levels, you don't need the extender. I do use it often so by all means, let me encourage you to send Tom some cash :)

• milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    Options
    I use the cgs stainless drip pans, i have the 16 and i think its 14 for the smaller one. 

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)