Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Second Cracked XL Base—Is It Me?

Options
Today, while grilling up some veggies, I noticed wisps of smoke coming from the bottom of my XL BGE. I got down on my hands and knees and saw this:

That’s right, a crack in my base. Thing is, I’ve only been Egging since November 2016, and this is the second time my base has cracked. I know BGE will replace it with their warranty, and I plan to email my dealer later today to get that going. 

But out in the meantime, what are the odds that I have a second base crack is exactly the same after about a year? is it me? Am I doing something that’s causing this? Again, I know I’ll get a replacement, but aligning the bands and replacing my Rutland mean that this is kinda of a pain, and if I can avoid it with the third base, I’d like to.  

Here’s the basic info of what I’m doing:

• I do mostly direct grilling at 350-450°ish, indirect roasting and smoking anywhere from 275°-425°, and the occasional reverse sear.  I’ve only done high heat pizzas a couple of times, and never on this latest, cracked base.  
  • I use either Rockwood or KJ XL lump.
  • I never clean burn or take it nuclear. The most I’ll do is let it ride at 550°ish for an hour to clean grill, grill pans, etc. I don’t bury the needle.  
  • Whenever I do low and slow cooks, I use a drip pan. 
  • I live in Chicago, so we get all four seasons. The BGE is out back, on an uncovered deck. 
  • I use my Egg year round, at least once a week. 
  • I don’t have a KickAsh Basket (rumored to be the cause of cracked XL bases) or other crazy, non stock items. I do have a Woo and AR from CGS. 
  • Three most-recent cooks, in order: 90 minutes of direct grilling, at 400°; overnight Butt cook at 275°, using AR and Woo for four butts; and today, direct grilling, stock grate and Woo, 450°,for about 45minutes befor I noticed the crack. All three recent cooks were with Rockwood. 
Any ideas, fellow Eggheads? 
Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
XLBGE, MiniMax BGE

Comments

• The_Stache
    The_Stache Posts: 1,153
    Options
    Your question echos a similar thinking process I had.  It seems to me that we are hearing A LOT about XLs bases cracking.  I know that larges also crack (1 here after about 20 years) but I keep reading about XL bases cracking....

Someone should conduct a survey of XL base failures!!

Of course, in your case, the important question is ... Are you using the regular grate under your KAB?  (Seems this has been pointed out as "the correct" way to use the KAB on and XL)

Lots of new flower pots for you!!!
    Kirkland, TN
    2 LBGE, 1 MM

• WeberWho
    WeberWho Posts: 11,026
    Options
    8 years so far with my original large BGE base. I treat it no different than anyone else would do. It sees Minnesota winters and summers. -25 to 100+ outdoor temps. No secret or tricks here. They seem to have a mind of their own. You're good to go. Don't let it limit how you cook with it. They just randomly crack. No rhyme or reason
    "The pig is an amazing animal. You feed a pig an apple and it makes bacon. Let's see Michael Phelps do that" - Jim Gaffigan

Minnesota
  • danguba78
    Options

Of course, in your case, the important question is ... Are you using the regular grate under your KAB?  (Seems this has been pointed out as "the correct" way to use the KAB on and XL)

No KAB on my XL—running stock charcoal grate. 
    Bridgeport, Chicago, IL
    XLBGE, MiniMax BGE
  • Jupiter Jim
    Jupiter Jim Posts: 3,351
    Options
    A good friend of mine told me their are two kinds of ceramics the one with a crack and the one that will have a crack. Egg on as you always have, it's not you just part of Egging.

I'm only hungry when I'm awake!

Okeechobee FL. Winter

West Jefferson NC Summer

• Scantron
    Scantron Posts: 93
    Options
    6 years and no cracks or warranty claims for my LBGE.
    Cooking on a Large Big Green Egg in North Chicagoland.
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    My oldest XL is 6+ years old without a crack. About two years or so with a KAB in it. I think you’re having some bad luck. Your usage doesn’t sound strange at all. Sorry to hear of your troubles. 
  • nolan8v
    nolan8v Posts: 400
    Options
    I guess I've been lucky. I've had my large Egg since 1998 and so far no cracks. I use it at least three time each week, year-round.
    "You can live in any city in America, but New Orleans is the only city that lives in you."
    Chris Rose 

• derka123
    derka123 Posts: 102
    Options
    Both my L and MM bases have cracked within the last year. Definitely a PITA, especially considering the wait time on my MM base is 4-5 weeks.
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    danguba78 said:

good answer :). I've had one cracked base on my L after 8 or 9 years. You may be having a run of bad luck or they may have an issue. 
    Keepin' It Weird in The ATX FBTX
  • GoooDawgs
    GoooDawgs Posts: 1,060
    Options
    It's very common on the XLs.  I've had 2 bases crack and I'm on my 3rd.  This is all in less than 3 years.   I do a lot of pizzas and high heat sears, but you'd think it could take it.  Thankfully there's a lifetime warranty! 
    Milton, GA 
    XL BGE & FB300
  • 714egghead
    714egghead Posts: 111
    Options
    danguba78 said:

good answer :). I've had one cracked base on my L after 8 or 9 years. You may be having a run of bad luck or they may have an issue. 

so its not recommended to use a KAB on a Xl with out the charcoal grate?

I don't have either one on mine at the moment but planned to buy some kinda charcoal basket and use it directly on the firebox.

XL BGE, Imperial Kamado, brinkman gasser, Taco Cart griddle 
    (Wishlist- BGE M-Max)

Santa Ana, Ca 
  • Fredb
    Fredb Posts: 89
    Options
    My XL has a cracked base also. No KAB, just stock base. I never do very hot cooks, even my pizzas are around 450 to 500
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    Scratch xl from my bucket list.
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options
    danguba78 said:

I don't have either one on mine at the moment but planned to buy some kinda charcoal basket and use it directly on the firebox.

The official party line is that any aftermarket equipment, no matter how it's used will void your warranty. Kind of tough to enforce with every dealer carrying and pushing gobs of aftermarket equipment. I would never lie about it but I wouldn't advertise it when applying for warranty service either. Of course, if your dealer sold you all those parts, it would be kind of hard for them to look you in the eye and deny your warranty. 
  • stlcharcoal
    stlcharcoal Posts: 4,684
    Options

The official party line is that any aftermarket equipment, no matter how it's used will void your warranty. Kind of tough to enforce with every dealer carrying and pushing gobs of aftermarket equipment. I would never lie about it but I wouldn't advertise it when applying for warranty service either. Of course, if your dealer sold you all those parts, it would be kind of hard for them to look you in the eye and deny your warranty. 
    ......And when the manufacturer's are all coming up with versions of the KAB.  Yeah, the KAB breaks bases, but ours doesn't.  Gimmie a break!!  (pun intended....haha!!)

Bases were cracking long before the KAB, and will be with and without the cast iron sewer plate.

Sounds like bad luck for the original poster....that's all.  Just be glad you have a lifetime warranty!!
  • westernbbq
    westernbbq Posts: 2,490
    Options
    I'm on #4 now.  thank God for that warranty
  • The Cen-Tex Smoker
    Options

......And when the manufacturer's are all coming up with versions of the KAB.  Yeah, the KAB breaks bases, but ours doesn't.  Gimmie a break!!  (pun intended....haha!!)

Bases were cracking long before the KAB, and will be with and without the cast iron sewer plate.

Sounds like bad luck for the original poster....that's all.  Just be glad you have a lifetime warranty!!
    I was going to leave that up to one of you guys but I totally agree. yeah...our "woo" doesn't void the warranty but Tom's officially does. Sure. 
  • Thegrim1
    Options
    I'm on 2nd replacement now. Had the XL for three years and 3rd base. Using it on BGE table stands. What's everyone else with cracking outing them on?
  • cookingdude555
    Options
    I’m on year 8 for my xl in a nest, no cracks yet. Ive had a large and a mini base crack tho. 
  • Eoin
    Eoin Posts: 4,304
    Options
    XL in nest, no cracks, 4 yeats old. A bit of the glaze has spalled where the rubber nest tab welded itself to the ceramic. I might try a claim for that one day, but it's not hurting anything.
  • Mark_B_Good
    Mark_B_Good Posts: 1,516
    Options
    danguba78 said:

Guess I should stop using my Broil King rib rack ... lol. I'm sure they apply some common sense, because otherwise they can say "if you don't use the BGE drip pan, warranty is void."
    Napoleon Prestige Pro 665, XL BGE, Lots of time for BBQ!
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    I have had my XL since 2012 and am on my 5th base. They all have been covered by warranty. But is is a pain to change them out every time it cracks. If you are looking for an XL kamado, I'd look for something of a different color.

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• Canadianegger2020
    Options
    As Crazy and annoying as it seems ...I think its not abnormal and almost normal .  My XL has a crack in the base , it doesn't seem to be leaking smoke. I know they back it up but its a pain . Ive cracked 3 XL Platesetters in 3 years and 2 years ago got fed up and bought a CI Platesetter. 
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    I have had my XL since 2012 and am on my 5th base. They all have been covered by warranty. But is is a pain to change them out every time it cracks. If you are looking for an XL kamado, I'd look for something of a different color.
    I got sick of cracked bases as well. 4 in 10 years. Solved the problem.
  • abpgwolf
    abpgwolf Posts: 559
    Options
    Lit said:
    abpgwolf said:
    You have to wonder why BGE hasn't corrected this obvious issue. Is the margin so good on the XL that they don't mind sending out 3 or 4 bases for every XL sold?

The Red XL kamados don't seem to have the same issues

Lititz, PA – XL BGE

• cookingdude555
    Options
    abpgwolf said:
    Lit said:
    abpgwolf said:
    You have to wonder why BGE hasn't corrected this obvious issue. Is the margin so good on the XL that they don't mind sending out 3 or 4 bases for every XL sold?

The Red XL kamados don't seem to have the same issues
    that's highly subjective on the red kamados.  I have seen plenty of problems on that side as well.  I frequent both colors of FB groups, and they are full of people that talk a lot of their problems, seeming to make people feel it is the norm.  The reality is that many people have no problems at all.  The summit is cool, but it does ultimately have a life expectancy (but I do enjoy mine, a lot).
  • Gulfcoastguy
    Options
    Imagine how cheap they could sell them for if they didn’t break?
  • YukonRon
    YukonRon Posts: 16,989
    Options
    My first purchase of a BGE was an XL. My first aftermarket accessory was a KAB, my first crack came after a high heat cook using the KAB. It was probably our tenth pizza cook. We heard a loud snap, and I knew what that sound meant. 

So, I got a new base, added the sewer plate beneath the KAB, just to be sure to be safe. First cook, a low and slow, the base cracked again.

My third base, currently in use the last 5 years, I was advised by a very dear friend, who has luck with these cookers was to leave about an inch of ash on the bottom which provides some insulation. never thought of it, but seemed to make sense.

Since then, I have changed the fire grate out to one that allows higher airflow, (similar to a very heavy cooking grate) added the KAB, and along with the insulation of ash on the bottom, there have been zero issues.

Perhaps it was luck or a combination of things, who knows?

I have since burned up the KAB, from so much use, and have chosen not to replace if the the newer grate, its purpose is not needed. I make just a big of a mess with it as I do without it.

Thinking we go back to @Jupiter Jim said previously which his brilliant friend said, and I absolutely agree with "There are two types of ceramic: 1) cracked ceramic, and 2) ceramic that is going to crack."

Just hope you have a great dealer. Make sure you keep your receipt. Hope for the best, have a plan in place to prepare for the worst. 

Best of luck. 
    "Knowledge is Good" - Emil Faber

XL and MM
    Louisville, Kentucky
  • dstearn
    dstearn Posts: 1,702
    edited February 2021
    Options
    I have had my XL for 8 years and have had the cast iron grate and firebox crack and replaced under warranty. I used to use the KAB until it rusted. Replaced it with he BGE Firebowl. I do not to very high heat cooks, tip dome temp is 550.
  • Orsi
    Orsi Posts: 15
    Options
    New to BGE. What is a KAB?