Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Blender recommendations

So I need a new blender. I’ve always bought the cheap black and deckers and the like and they suck. I currently have a ninja that has 1 speed and it’s almost like a chopper in that you have to keep the button pressed down to blend anything. It sucks also. Cheap plastic pieces. Rubber parts falling off. It blends ok but not awesome. I’m considering a Vitamix. Do any of you fine folks have experience with these or any other quality brand. I don’t really want to spend $500 but may be willing to if I can finally get a blender that will last a decade or more. I mainly just want a well built one that will do what it’s freakin supposed to and blend without leaving big ice chunks in my dang margaritas.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

Comments

• bgebrent
    bgebrent Posts: 19,636
    edited August 2018
    They (Vitamix) came out with a cheaper but just about as good version a year or two ago. If i needed a blender I'd get that.  300ish bucks.
    Sandy Springs & Dawsonville Ga
  • I have had a Vitamix for around 4 years and it works like a champ.  Highly recommended.
    Gil Gowing 
    Clermont, FL
    Large BGE - MiniMax BGE
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,706
    I did a thread on this a while back...sback...stback...sback...still haven't spent the big bucks , went Ninja and does what I need for now

https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1211439/ot-blender-suggestions#latest
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • Lit
    Lit Posts: 9,053
    Don’t get a cheap vitamin I wouldn’t get a cheap vitamin we bought the basic one they had at Costco and it blended great but it was super loud. They have a vitamin roadshow at Costco every couple months where they have a nicer model and the one that was like $100 more had some presets for certain things where it controls the speed and the best part it was about half as loud. I think it was like $550 at the time but I make 3 smoothies a day and my wife uses it a lot so it’s worth it. Would never buy another blender. 
  • HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,323
    There have been a few threads about blenders, might want to do a search.

I'm on Team Blendtec FWIW.
    “Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• theyolksonyou
    theyolksonyou Posts: 18,458
    Bought a vita mix referb for around 300.  Works great.  Worth it. Look for sales. 
  • blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    I'm almost 10 years on my vitamix.  Still looks and functions like new - one of my better purchases.  Power is overkill for many things, but then you need to grind sesame seeds and you're happy to have those RPMs.
    Phoenix 
  • jeffwit
    jeffwit Posts: 1,348
    Vitamix. 
    Jefferson, GA
    XL BGE, MM, Things to flip meat over and stuff
    Wife, 3 kids, 5 dogs, 4 cats, 12 chickens, 2 goats, 2 pigs. 
    “Honey, we bought a farm.”
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864

"I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • northGAcock
    northGAcock Posts: 15,164
    I bought a Hamilton Beach bar blender more than 30 years ago. Purchased from a restaurant supply....no Amazon dot com back then. I have replaced the rubber gasket and blades on it a couple of times. While I am going on a mite....point is if you want to purchase one that will stand up for years and take the rigers of washing etc....consider purchasing a Comercial grade appliance. For home use....you can pass it down to your kids!

Ellijay GA with a Medium & MiniMax

Well, I married me a wife, she's been trouble all my life,
    Run me out in the cold rain and snow
  • Another Vitamix fan here. Great power and great warranty. We use ours daily to make silky-smooth shakes that were coarse and chunky in our previous blenders. The soup function alone (which will turn raw veggies into a piping hot soup in 6 mins) is worth the price of admission. 
  • MJG
    MJG Posts: 598
    Vitamix Vitamix or Blendtec. Which ever just get it at Costco and any issues return...no questions asked. 
    Large Big Green Egg in a nest. North Shore of Boston.
  • Eggcelsior
    Eggcelsior Posts: 14,414
    I have a Blendtec that I originally bought to make baby food. It's 6 years old and work like new.
  • ColtsFan
    ColtsFan Posts: 6,310
    Vitamix 5300 here. Been rock solid and I'm pretty sure it would chew up an anvil 
    ~ John - https://www.instagram.com/hoosier_egger
    XL BGE, LG BGE, KJ Jr, PK Original, Ardore Pizza Oven, King Disc 
    Bloomington, IN - Hoo Hoo Hoo Hoosiers!

• Photo Egg
    Photo Egg Posts: 12,110
  • Killit_and_Grillit
    Killit_and_Grillit Posts: 4,326
    edited August 2018
    Target has Braun immersion blenders on sale for $49. 

I got one a year ago and I don’t even know where my blender is but I use it every day. 

"Brought to you by bourbon, bacon, and a series of questionable life decisions."

South of Nashville, TN

• JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,864
    Does RTIC make blenders yet?
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Yeah another Vita Mix guy here, no discounts, no regrets. Soup, smoothies and shakes... buy once, like the BGE...
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    blendtec.  mine has a counter for every time it has been run.

I didn't know that - that's a pretty cool feature.

Phoenix 
  • milesvdustin
    milesvdustin Posts: 2,882
    I also have a blendtec. Its worth it. It is a freakin beast! 

I am going to buy the small twister jar soon for snall stuff. Not needed for most stuff

2 LBGE, Blackstone 36, Jumbo Joe

Egging in Southern Illinois (Marion)

• Judy Mayberry
    Judy Mayberry Posts: 2,015
    I have a Breville Hemisphere Control and it is superb. What I especially like is the concave bottom of the jar...I don't have to scrape it out, the contents just pour out. Another thing I like is the loop on the lid to pull it off. A blessing for arthritic hands.
    Judy in San Diego
  • nolaegghead
    nolaegghead Posts: 42,102
    I have a Breville Hemisphere Control and it is superb. What I especially like is the concave bottom of the jar...I don't have to scrape it out, the contents just pour out. Another thing I like is the loop on the lid to pull it off. A blessing for arthritic hands.
    I have one of those and it is excellent, and about the same power (watts) as these others, but under $200.  Love it.
    I had a Vitamix, and it was good for a while, but became a single speed unit after a couple of years. Getting it repaired was going to be too expensive, so it went to Goodwill. A friend recommended a Waring commercial and it had been going strong for years.

I like big chunks of ice in my Margaritas. They are called ice cubes. The proper tool for a Margarita is a shaker. Slurpee style drinks give me brain freeze and slow down the process.  =)
    XL BGE in San Jose, CA. Also a Pit Barrel Cooker, a Cal Flame P4 gasser, and lots of toys including the first ever Flame Boss 300 in the wild. And a new Flame Boss 500.
  • fishlessman
    fishlessman Posts: 32,657
    mines a hamilton i think. been going strong for 20 years or should i say i blended moss in it 20 years ago for some patio stones =) ive never used it since or even desired to use it. this whole thread bewilders me
    fukahwee maine

you can lead a fish to water but you can not make him drink it
  • I got tired of replacing the cheap ones, so I bite the bullet and added to the Christmas gift card and purchased Vitamix.  Powerful motor.  Barely fits under the kitchen cabinets.  I have had it for almost 4 years with nary a hiccup.  A friend purchased Blentec  about the same time and it is going strong too.  
    I don't think you could lose with either....just compare before you purchase. 
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx
  • Carolina Q
    Carolina Q Posts: 14,831
    this whole thread bewilders me
    Yep. I had a smoothie. Once. Can't imagine having 3 a day! I'm good with my  $30 Ninja and my much more often used stick blender ($1 yard sale).

I hate it when I go to the kitchen for food and all I find are ingredients!                                                                                                                                                                                                                           

Michael 
    Central Connecticut 

• TEXASBGE2018
    TEXASBGE2018 Posts: 3,831
    edited August 2018
    I don't use mine 3 times a day either but I use it probably 3 times a week. However, if any of the crap ones I have bought up till now would have done a decent job I might use one daily. I like smoothies and that's probably better for me than eating the potato,bacon,egg and cheese breakfast taco I have our cafeteria at work make me daily. I still am in sticker shock at the price of these Vitamix, even the blendtec's. I was hoping I could get a good one in the $200 price range. I may have to check out getting one of these refurb Vitamix's that Photo Egg mentioned. Then again, maybe I should just as some have said bite the bullet and get the $500 Vitamix.

Rockwall, Tx    LBGE, Minimax, 22" Blackstone, Pizza Party Bollore. Cast Iron Hoarder.

• I don't use mine 3 times a day either but I use it probably 3 times a week. However, if any of the crap ones I have bought up till now would have done a decent job I might use one daily. I like smoothies and that's probably better for me than eating the potato,bacon,egg and cheese breakfast taco I have our cafeteria at work make me daily. I still am in sticker shock at the price of these Vitamix, even the blendtec's. I was hoping I could get a good one in the $200 price range. I may have to check out getting one of these refurb Vitamix's that @Photoegg mentioned. Then again, maybe I should just as some have said bite the bullet and get the $500 Vitamix.
    Remember you get what you pay for.  I purchase 3 three recommended as best buys from Am Test Kitchen and they could not stand up to the constant work.  I blend lots of pepper for sauces and the Vitamix liquifies so well I have mostly seeds left in the strainer. Bite the bullet, you won't be disappointed.
    Large, small and mini now Egging in Rowlett Tx