Welcome to the EGGhead Forum - a great place to visit and packed with tips and EGGspert advice! You can also join the conversation and get more information and amazing kamado recipes by following Big Green Egg to Experience our World of Flavor™ at:
Facebook  |  Twitter  |  Instagram  |  Pinterest  |  Youtube  |  Vimeo
Share your photos by tagging us and using the hashtag #BigGreenEgg.

Want to see how the EGG is made? Click to Watch

Kimchi

Options
Made a batch of kimchi with our garden produce.  Anyone else fermenting stuff?
Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.

Comments

• pgprescott
    pgprescott Posts: 14,544
    Options
    Nope, But I bought some at the Des Moines farmers market a few weeks ago. yours looks better than what I got. Nice!
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    Yep...I'm a fan as well. Love fermenting. 

Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options
    Are you going to bury it in the ground like they do in Korea?
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • lkapigian
    lkapigian Posts: 10,766
    edited August 2018
    Options
    Nice @Ima_good_egg I've always got lacto fermentation going on----if you are bored, there are a few projects from others here https://eggheadforum.com/discussion/1211374/ot-lacto-fermentation-fun-peppers-and-sriracha/p1
    Visalia, Ca @lkapigian
  • BobDanger
    BobDanger Posts: 323
    Options
    RRP said:

No...my basement is as deep as it goes. 
    Eastern Shore Virginia 

Medium & Mini Max
  • JohnInCarolina
    JohnInCarolina Posts: 30,976
    Options
    RRP said:
    The reasons for doing that are primarily for temperature and to protect against explosion.  Nothing like an exploding batch of kimchi to ruin your kitchen.  

These days there are methods to deal with both aspects without resorting to digging holes in the ground.
    "I've made a note never to piss you two off." - Stike
  • Ima_good_egg
    Options
    I I do not bury it in the ground. We eat it too fast! A day or two on the counter, depending on the temps, and then to the fridge. I was taught by an amazing Korean lady, and that’s what I do. 
    Wisconsin, lbge, MM, kab, pig tail flippers, bear claws, and more rubs than I will admit to.
  • alaskanassasin
    Options
    39lbs of honey, 6lbs of apples, 9 gallons of water. Last time I checked it was around 17% abv  =)
     I need to bottle it so I can get some beer rolling, or keg and carbonate haven’t decided, maybe both. 
    South of Columbus, Ohio.

• HeavyG
    HeavyG Posts: 10,350
    Options
    RRP said:
    The reasons for doing that are primarily for temperature and to protect against explosion.  Nothing like an exploding batch of kimchi to ruin your kitchen.  

These days there are methods to deal with both aspects without resorting to digging holes in the ground.
    I'm sure there are still folks out in the Korean "boonies" that bury their kimchi crocks in the ground but ain't nobody in Seoul doing that.

Special kimchi fridges do the temp/smell work for most folks. I understand they are also designed to withstand an ounce of C4 exploding so they have that covered also. :)

“Reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away.” ― Philip K. Diçk

• blasting
    blasting Posts: 6,262
    Options

Not kimchi yet, but the maiden voyage of kraut is nearly done.  Starting on a few different peppers for hot sauce tomorrow.

Phoenix 
  • BGEChicago
    BGEChicago Posts: 574
    Options

I have traditional dill pickles going now after that maybe jalapenos, carrots and cauliflower ...
    Chicago, IL BGE XL BGE Mini Webber Charcoal / Elmhurst, IL
  • RRP
    RRP Posts: 25,895
    Options

I have traditional dill pickles going now after that maybe jalapenos, carrots and cauliflower ...
    Very interestingly! Did you follow somerecipe? Or a hand me down recipe? 
    Re-gasketing America one yard at a time.
  • Botch
    Botch Posts: 15,487
    Options
    I buy my kimchee at the local Korean restaurant.

Hint for Beginners:  If the lid pops off under pressure, when you open it, Yes, that means its fermented.  It does not need to be thrown out, it was supposed to do that.  

"Pro-Life" would be twenty students graduating from Sandy Hook next month